Thread: Copying a Hacked Drive onto a new Hard Drive???

Question Copying a Hacked Drive onto a new Hard Drive???

I have a hacked hard drive on my Series 2 Hughes Tivo which I used Sleepers ISO and Haderak's guide. Everything worked great but now the hard drive is acting up on me and needs replaced. Is there any way to do a strait drive to drive copy from the hacked drive onto a new hard drive and skip all the reloading from scratch? Any help on this would be appreciated.

There's a thread that discusses the process involved. I suggest trying the search function to find it.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by JS65
    I have a hacked hard drive on my Series 2 Hughes Tivo which I used Sleepers ISO and Haderak's guide. Everything worked great but now the hard drive is acting up on me and needs replaced. Is there any way to do a strait drive to drive copy from the hacked drive onto a new hard drive and skip all the reloading from scratch? Any help on this would be appreciated.
    I would suggest replacing the monte installed by TiVoScripts with killhdinitrd. Follow the procedure here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...iso#post196162

(Don't forget to use the proper kernel for your software; if you used Haderak's guide you probably have 4.x software).

Once you've done that, you can use MFS Tools to pipeline the backup to the restore and transfer the contents of the original drive to a new drive. Read Hinsdale's how to for full instructions, the command is:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdd (Original drive as secondary master, new drive as secondary slave).

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Thanks PlainBill

Thanks PlainBill. Your reply was very helpful. I found the files and am ready to copy the vmlinux.px.gz to my hard drive and unsleeper it but I need to ask a question about the kernel version. I am running 4.0.1b and this vmlinux.px.gz was taken from version 4.0.1a..... will this work for me? I can rebuild using 4.0.1a but would like to avoid that if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JS65
    Thanks PlainBill. Your reply was very helpful. I found the files and am ready to copy the vmlinux.px.gz to my hard drive and unsleeper it but I need to ask a question about the kernel version. I am running 4.0.1b and this vmlinux.px.gz was taken from version 4.0.1a..... will this work for me? I can rebuild using 4.0.1a but would like to avoid that if possible.
    This is covered in the killhdinitrd thread. I'm going to add the explanation to the thread I referenced. Briefly, the 4.0.1a, 4.0.1b, and 4.0.1b-02 kernels are all functionally identical. The differences are 'bookkeeping details'.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Success

TiVo unsleepered and working great. Thanks PlainBill.