Thread: Networking

Networking

I feel like such a noob at all of this. I've been reading and reading and think I might be getting close to understanding what I need to do to get networking going on my 3.1.1e machine. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It appears I need to copy the files usbcore.o, usb-ohci.o, and usbnet.o into my /var/modules directory.

I then need to add the following to a rc.sysinit.author file, which gets called from the rc.sysinit file.

insmod /var/hack/lib/usbcore.o
    insmod /var/hack/lib/usb-ohci.o
    insmod /var/hack/lib/usbnet.o

sleep 15

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 broadcast 192.168.1.250 netmask 255.255.255.0
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    tivoftpd

Quote Originally Posted by sridhar_ac
    I feel like such a noob at all of this. I've been reading and reading and think I might be getting close to understanding what I need to do to get networking going on my 3.1.1e machine. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It appears I need to copy the files usbcore.o, usb-ohci.o, and usbnet.o into my /var/modules directory.

I then need to add the following to a rc.sysinit.author file, which gets called from the rc.sysinit file.

insmod /var/hack/lib/usbcore.o
    insmod /var/hack/lib/usb-ohci.o
    insmod /var/hack/lib/usbnet.o

sleep 15

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 broadcast 192.168.1.250 netmask 255.255.255.0
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    tivoftpd
    1. If you are putting the files in /var/modules, why are you trying to load them from /var/hack/lib?

2. A comment: Putting ANYTHING in /var is asking for troubles. The TiVo will wipe and rebuild the /var partition on a whim. (Hint: Figure out where those modules are placed on a 3.1.5 or 4.x system. Place yours in the same directory. If it's good enough for TiVo, it's good enough for you.)

3. Your ifconfig line is incomplete.

4. You've made a good start. You've done some research, and you're asking before jumping in and screwing something up (Of course, I learn the most when I screw something up ).

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 12-20-2004 at 09:39 AM.
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Sorry about the confusion, I did some quick copy and paste stuff last night and didn't proof read.

I've not created/edited any files on my TiVo as of yet. I copied the "insmod /var/hack/lib/xxx.o" lines from another posting as well as the ifconfig line.

Thanks for the hints, I'll do some searches tonight based on your feedback.

If anyone could answer another question I'd appreciate it. I've been trying to execute the following line but keep get an error message, something about the device or directory...

mount /dev/hdd4 /mnt/4

I have made the /mnt/4 directory. I can execute the comman "mount /dev/hdd7 /mnt/7" but not the above line. I'm doing this to view the contents of the partition just for my own understanding. Is the /dev/hdd4 partition even mountable?

Quote Originally Posted by sridhar_ac
    Sorry about the confusion, I did some quick copy and paste stuff last night and didn't proof read.

I've not created/edited any files on my TiVo as of yet. I copied the "insmod /var/hack/lib/xxx.o" lines from another posting as well as the ifconfig line.

Thanks for the hints, I'll do some searches tonight based on your feedback.

If anyone could answer another question I'd appreciate it. I've been trying to execute the following line but keep get an error message, something about the device or directory...

mount /dev/hdd4 /mnt/4

I have made the /mnt/4 directory. I can execute the comman "mount /dev/hdd7 /mnt/7" but not the above line. I'm doing this to view the contents of the partition just for my own understanding. Is the /dev/hdd4 partition even mountable?
    This is normal. If the partition doesn't have a file system on it, you can't mount it. Ordinarily, on a drive which hasn't taken a software upgrade, either partition 4 or 7 will not have a file system.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.