Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for DirecTivo Remote?

Source for DirecTivo Remote?

My daughter let her hamster near one of the remotes, now it's missing half of the buttons. Besides the manufacturer of the box (who wants $45), does anyone know a *reasonable* source for DirecTivo remotes? DirecTV doesn't sell them (only universal's), and the one from Tivo is different (no List button, Window button is non-functional, Power button where Window button is, Input button where Exit button is), so what I want is the newer one, like you'd get in with a system today (not that crappy short one on eBay with the long thumb buttons).

Thanks,
    Doc

There's no place like ~

Look on ebay. I usually see hundreds of them for sale at any given time. Expect to pay about $10-15 plus shipping.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Watch out on the ebay ones. There are alot of the older style remotes (no list or dedicated guide buttons). They work, but you'll really miss those two.

Last I looked, DirecTv offered one on their website (to customers) for $20 including shipping. If I were to buy another, that is the way I'd go.

Yea I saw those, shorter and less capable. As for DirecTV, I called them, told them specifically what I wanted, and what I got was a white universal, not a peanut. Oh well, I found 2 on ebay. They're definately hard to come by, but I now know that Weak Knees sells them too. Wonder how that hamster's gonna look with this half chewed remote stuffed up it's a$$.

Thanks all.
    Doc

There's no place like ~

Doc, Do yourself a favor and go to Best Buy and pickup a One For All URC-6131B00 for $18. It's a universal remote with every TiVo key, including thumbs up and thumbs down. You'll also be able to control your TV, VCR, DVD, Receiver, etc.... It's by far the best universal remote I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazhol
    Doc, Do yourself a favor and go to Best Buy and pickup a One For All URC-6131B00 for $18. It's a universal remote with every TiVo key, including thumbs up and thumbs down. You'll also be able to control your TV, VCR, DVD, Receiver, etc.... It's by far the best universal remote I've ever owned.
    According to bestbuy.com, currently on sale for $10.99.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I was wondering when someone was going to make one of those! For $11, it's definately worth a try, if it doesn't work, give THAT one to the hamster!

Thanks a lot guys.
    Doc

There's no place like ~

Quote Originally Posted by DocTauri
    I was wondering when someone was going to make one of those! For $11, it's definately worth a try, if it doesn't work, give THAT one to the hamster!

Thanks a lot guys.
    Doc

Wow, nice price on it now. I just bought one about 2 weeks ago for my parents and it was $18. I love mine, they love theirs, you'll love yours.

Will this model handle all the addresses that you can give a TiVo remote?

Quote Originally Posted by marky
    Will this model handle all the addresses that you can give a TiVo remote?
    Please clarify... Addresses that you can give the remote?? not sure I follow you on that one.

You can set up to nine different remote addresses for a Tivo. This is so you can have multiple Tivos in the same room without operating all of them simultaneously with the same remote. Instructions for assigning the codes are in the Tivo owners manual.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    You can set up to nine different remote addresses for a Tivo. This is so you can have multiple Tivos in the same room without operating all of them simultaneously with the same remote. Instructions for assigning the codes are in the Tivo owners manual.
    That's what I thought he was referring to but wasn't 100% sure.

Yes, you can.

That's what I thought he was referring to but wasn't 100% sure.

Yes, you can.
    Finally went out and bought this, but I can't figure out how to make the remote operate at other than address 0.

What steps are necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by marky
    Finally went out and bought this, but I can't figure out how to make the remote operate at other than address 0.

What steps are necessary?
    I don't think it will operate a different address.
    I fooled around with a buddy's once.

One thing you could try would be a code scan....
    Set the address on the tivo 1st, then try scanning codes, or try entering them 1 at a time.

I have a Sony RM-VL900 that I love. I even bought a couple of extras for when the 1st one dies. They're living in the garage waiting for their day in the sun.

It's not a DVR specific remote, so you have to fudge a little with the button placement, but it works astoundingly well, and it learns the codes from a TiVo remote set at any address. You don't even really need to point it in the right direction, it just works. Can't praise it enough.

I have every button available to me except the 2 Thumbs buttons. It's an 8 device remote, so I just mapped them to an unused device.

It has 3 dedicated macro buttons (plus I think others can be programmed to be macros) that are just great.

I have a complicated system, and all volume control is through my Amp. One single button press Turns on the TV, Turns on the Amp, Sets the Amp to TiVo's input, Makes sure the TV is on the right Input, then Leaves itself ready to control the Tivo, and volume on the Amp.

Another button it set to turn everything off. A third turns everything on but on DVD inputs, fires up the DVD machine, and leaves itself ready to control the DVD player.

So simple any ***** can use it.

If all folks want to do is watch TV, they press button #1, everything turns on, and BAM, they can change channels and watch Tv. They don't need to figure anything out.
    ***** proof.

EDIT: How About That, I.D.I.O.T. is a censored word.
    Last edited by hayreass; 02-04-2005 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hayreass
    I don't think it will operate a different address.
    One of the earlier posters assured that it would...

I fooled around with a buddy's once.
    TMI and wrong forum...

One thing you could try would be a code scan....
    Set the address on the tivo 1st, then try scanning codes, or try entering them 1 at a time.
    That is an excellent idea.

Except for one thing...it is now working!?!?!
    I have two TiVos, one set for address 3. The address 3 TiVo remote works it, the other doesn't. And my URC6131 remote is operating the address 3 unit.
    So I navigate over to the information screen with the TiVo remote and verify that yes, the TiVo is on address 3. Pick up the URC and press a button... the TiVo changes to address 0!

Makes me think the URC is sending add0 codes, but then how was it working?

I also did some JP1 seraching. Appears this remote can also be customized with codes from a variety of devices. I guess my $11 was well spent, regardless.