Thread: HDTIVO without DVR Service?

HDTIVO without DVR Service?

Is it possible to use the hdtivo for manual recording of OTA without DVR service?

I have a friend moving to NYC and don't have access to DirecTV in his new apartment building. He is a current DirecTV subscriber with an unhacked hdtivo. He wants to keep his hdtivo and use it to for manual recording of OTA HDTV.

The hdtivo allows you to configure it for OTA mode (no sat) but without DirecTV service is there another way to activate the DVR features?

Are you sure that the HD-DTiVo can be configured for OTA only? My understanding was that DirecTV service was required. You would also need the DVR service to record (which in turn requires DirecTV service.)
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevel
    Are you sure that the HD-DTiVo can be configured for OTA only? My understanding was that DirecTV service was required. You would also need the DVR service to record (which in turn requires DirecTV service.)

Well I will find out for sure tomorrow or Wednesday as soon as he unpacks his stuff he will send me his hdtivo to see if I can get it to work.

He said once he cancelled his service and changed his dish/antenna to antenna only... the receiver worked like a regular set top box with a 30 min buffer but it won’t let him record.

Quote Originally Posted by nams
    Well I will find out for sure tomorrow or Wednesday as soon as he unpacks his stuff he will send me his hdtivo to see if I can get it to work.

He said once he cancelled his service and changed his dish/antenna to antenna only... the receiver worked like a regular set top box with a 30 min buffer but it won’t let him record.

I don't think it's going to work - as you will need to get the guide data via satellite - which requires an account. I'm not sure you will even get passed the guided setup without a successful SAT stage.
    ~Hi8

(4) Hughes SD DVR40
    (1) Hughes HR10-250
    (2) xbmc XBOX X2 & xbit

Well it seems the answer is no with my limited abilities.

I can use it as a dual tuner STB with 30 min buffer but I can't schedule any recordings.

Right - the ability to record is authorized by a flag in the satellite datastream.
    Steve

OTA and HDDVR

You can still watch OTA broadcasts and use the 30 min buffer, on most HDDVR's , as even a new dtv reciever of most kinds will recieve some guide info and channels like 100 PPv previews,99 some markets HD test channel and 201 Directv basics, and of course HD OTA granted also you have an HD off air antenna. Also need to be sure the access card is in it even if the account is not active.
    Last edited by midspa; 01-04-2005 at 10:07 PM.
    (tech)

Quote Originally Posted by midspa
    ...as even a new dtv reciever of most kinds will recieve some guide info and channels like 100 PPv previews,99 some markets HD test channel and 201 Directv basics...
    Not without a sat signal as the OP implied.

Quote Originally Posted by fixn278
    Not without a sat signal as the OP implied.
    my bad i assumed he had a triple sat dish just no subscription.
    (tech)

I guess I can increase the buffer to the maximum so that he can at lease get some time shifting on each tuner.

I was just hoping there was some way to do manual recording even without guide data.