Thread: SATA vs IDE

SATA vs IDE

On the PC side, has anyone seen any practical, noticeable difference between using a SATA vs a standard IDE hard drive. This would be for video storage, transfer, and processing use.

Idoco

What's practical to one person is not to another.

Sometimes with SATA you get a bigger cache, and with the latest generation Seagates, quicker seeks. There's also command queuing which has been shown to actually slow things down in your typical desktop setup. The speedy and expensive 10k RPM Raptors only come in SATA versions.

In general there's no reason to prefer one over the other. Sister IDE and SATA models tend to perform almost identically to each other. IDE will be around for the next several generations of motherboards, plus, IDE drives can be moved into TiVos and xboxen when you're ready to upgrade your PC again. If you're like most people and just want a big boost in disk space, go with IDE. If the SATA cables make you feel warm and fuzzy, treat yourself.

If you want to know more, a good place to start is http://www.storagereview.com/

Personally, I noticed a huge difference adding an SATA drive to my system. I was doing video work and kept dropping frames on an older Maxtor 40G/ATA100 drive when capturing video. Exact same system + Seagate 250G/SATA and no more dropped frames.

I also noticed general speedups in other things, DivX encoding jumped from around 45FPS to around 55FPS, DVD authoring dropped from about 2x to almost real time (2 hours to author a 2 hour DVD vs. around 3 hrs before for the same data).

They may not be for everyone, but mine made a difference in my system: Asus P4P800D, Cel 2.66/533 FSB, 1G PC3200 DDR, 30G ATA system drive, 250G SATA Data drive.

Kevin

SATA has the capability of improving way beyond that of PATA, although affordable hard disks haven't yet done so, but they certainly can in the future. For now, I prefer SATA for the simple fact that the cable isn't so bulky. Not only that, but it isn't as clunky either (no more master/slave crap, and no more of one drive slowing down the other in a daisy chain.)
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?