Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TivoToGo and New Version

TivoToGo and New Version

What does anyone know about the 7.1-X service update that Tivo is pushing out for TivoToGo - is it compatible with the current hacks? Is it worth getting?

Quote Originally Posted by jbfromca
    is it compatible with the current hacks? Is it worth getting?
    Odds are it isn't compatible with any of the hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by jbfromca
    Is it worth getting?
    Probably not, unless tivo2go is highly valuable to you.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

So, Tivo sends 7.1 to us, and the software flags forces it NOT to install, but to reboot every night.

Does anyone have a script/routine or instructions to STOP the reboots that will start soon? I assume it will consist of setting a name somewhere to make the system think it has the latest AND to remove the slices from the pending queue or from mfs?

Better to fix it now then when 500 people are screaming for it?

phil

How about just
    remove the 'reboot' command from /tvbin/installSw.itcl
    (stolen from AW's thread on upgrading via slices).

Doc

There's no place like ~

Quote Originally Posted by DocTauri
    How about just

Removing reboot

(stolen from AW's thread on upgrading via slices).

Doc
    That will not work, will it?. As soon as it DOES reboot, won't it install? Also, that thread is for installing a new image. We are trying to keepit from installing, forever!

Instead of removing the reboot command, rename it so you can still give the command via bash if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by philhu
    That will not work, will it?. As soon as it DOES reboot, won't it install? Also, that thread is for installing a new image. We are trying to keepit from installing, forever!
    Correct. If/once it's gotten this far, i.e. executing installSw.itcl, the upgrade has already essentially occured. Just needs a reboot to seal the deal. installSw.itcl won't ever be run by virtue of the 'upgradesoftware=false' bootpage parameter and/or rc.sysinit entry, but this won't eliminate the nightly reboots.

DTivo users have the luxury of being able to block the phone calls, that to date, initiate this process / triggers the 'Pending Restart' issue. Unfortunately, not being a SA user, I'm not sure how this is handled for those that are...
    Last edited by JohnSorTivo; 01-04-2005 at 10:30 PM.
    1 HR10-250, upgraded to 570 SD hours, hacked, 6.3b.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 206 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 168 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    tyExtract - Automated batch extraction utility
    YacMon - YAC Server log monitor for new call(s) notification via email/text message

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSorTivo
    DTivo users have the luxury of being able to block the phone calls, that to date, initiate this process / triggers the 'Pending Restart' issue. Unfortunately, not being a SA user, I'm not sure how this is handled for those that are...
    I'll let you know soon enough .

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    I'll let you know soon enough .

NutKase
    Very cool NutKase. Please keep us informed BEFORE we all get to 'pending restart'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philhu
    Very cool NutKase. Please keep us informed BEFORE we all get to 'pending restart'

Thanks
    Just to clarify. I don't have 7.1 yet. I meant that obivously I'll have some work to do when I do. It may or may not be BEFORE anyone gets theirs and 'pending restart'.

Anyway, TiVo should've provided and 'OPT OUT' list in addition to their 'priority' list.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 01-06-2005 at 10:53 PM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    Anyway, TiVo should've provided and 'OPT OUT' list in addition to their 'priority' list.
    Heh.

I agree that would've been nice, but what would prompt them to do that? It wouldn't benefit anyone but the 'hackers' :-P
    Questions? Problems?
    1. How to avoid asking needless questions
    2. How to ask smart questions

"... and this is your computer on drugs. Any questions?"

Quote Originally Posted by lenroc
    Heh.

I agree that would've been nice, but what would prompt them to do that? It wouldn't benefit anyone but the 'hackers' :-P
    Ok, I'm a little new, so grant me one or two dumb questions , ok.

Is there any documentation any where on what the command script looks like that tivo uses for its nightly update.

I mean is the nightly calls to the mothership, anything similar to say the replaytv does it. And could you conceivably create an application similar to wrins, running on your local nat that filters out the instructions you don't want, ie. allows the guide data, but filters out anything else. Obviously you would have to point your tivo at server on your nat, which would filter any commands to and from the mothership.

If so, could you also use such a script to load an update that you do want , say the 7.1 update from emule. Just some thoughts. To think about.
    Last edited by cat5; 01-11-2005 at 11:21 PM.
    Beware the cat, Any Question?
    A girls best friend is her wireless sniffer!

There's a thread at the TCF discussing 7.1 and TivoToGo, JustMike posted a link to it in this post:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=40598

The interesting thing is that it appears that the TCF has lifted the ban on openly discussing video extraction and it is being discussed at length in the referenced thread. There is apparently a way of using TivoToGo and a web browser to perform extraction to your hard drive. It looks like someone also found a way to be able to use the files and burn them to DVD without necessarily installing any sort of decryption hack or using the special version of MySonic authoring software.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by cat5
    If so, could you also use such a script to load an update that you do want , say the 7.1 update from emule.
    You probably don't want to run an unauthorized copy of 7.1, since it's pretty much useless without spigot certs (unpatched, at least).

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    There's a thread at the TCF discussing 7.1 and TivoToGo, JustMike posted a link to it in this post:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=40598

necessarily installing any sort of decryption hack or using the special version of MySonic authoring software.
    Well they are saying that if you discuss aything about circumventing the broadcast flag or anything about puting it on a directivo the moderators will delete it. But your right and it is a little more open.

From what I can tell , any editor that uses directshow filters can be used, that would imply nero , nero reincode , powerdirector 3 and videolan etc.

The problem I see so far, and it may simply be the lack of experience by those in the other forum, is that the video needs to be reencoded even though the .tivo file, which looks a lot like a .ty file is already in mpeg2 format.
    The trick is to find a way to convert the file without reencoding.
    I'm putting my money on powerdirector 3.0, because that one works really good with microsoft dvr-ms files quite well.

The other recommended player is videolan, kind of strange, since its open source, it also has some nice features to save the file to a buffer, or stream as a mpeg-ts. I suspect moonlight's mpeg streaming player which is directshow and can save the output to a buffer could also work. Of course we are still talking 1x speed. But the vlc player can be made to do whatever we want. Don't count on the sonic mydvd, Mydvd always seems to want to reencode perfectly good mpeg streams.
    I don't have 7.1 yet, tivo's distribution rollout is pathetic, I'm sure it was rushed for ces and the developers are still in a bug fixing stage.
    I'm really close to just taking a download 7.1 backup and just doing the "hard" way .
    Beware the cat, Any Question?
    A girls best friend is her wireless sniffer!