Thread: 160 to 200gb HD upgrade - Backup target not large enough...

160 to 200gb HD upgrade - Backup target not large enough...

I currently have a newer silver series 2 tivo (with back light) I believe its the TCD540 - originally it had a 40gb. I removed that a few months ago and installed a 160gb, no problems there. I now want to install a 200gb drive by itself, and want to transfer all the recordings, season passes, etc to the new drive (slow option).

I followed the Hinsdale guide, I am trying the following command:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda

Where hdb is my 160gb working tivo drive and hda is my new 200gb drive.

After I issue the command it scans the source drive and reports source drive size is 40hours and upgraded to 179 hours. However I get the following message:

Restore failed: Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by caenus
    I currently have a newer silver series 2 tivo (with back light) I believe its the TCD540 - originally it had a 40gb. I removed that a few months ago and installed a 160gb, no problems there. I now want to install a 200gb drive by itself, and want to transfer all the recordings, season passes, etc to the new drive (slow option).

I followed the Hinsdale guide, I am trying the following command:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda

Where hdb is my 160gb working tivo drive and hda is my new 200gb drive.

After I issue the command it scans the source drive and reports source drive size is 40hours and upgraded to 179 hours. However I get the following message:

Restore failed: Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself.

Any thoughts or ideas?
    First, make sure you are using an LBA48 aware cd. If you still have a problem, move the drive off hda.

Yup, I'm using a newer LBA48 disc (same one I used for the 160gb initial install a few months ago) I also downloaded the newer one just in case.

What do you mean move it off hda? If you mean switch it to hdb or hdc I can try that, but would that really matter?

EDIT: just tried moving good 160gb tivo drive to hda, and new 200gb to hdc, and still nothing, same error.
    Last edited by caenus; 01-05-2005 at 02:02 PM.

It's because you already filled up the partition table when you expanded to the 160. You can not expand again to the 200.
    DSR704/DVR80/DSR7000/HDVR2 | All on 4.0.1b
    Superpatch-4all/HMO/Tivotools/LBA48

Oh well guess that means I have to start fresh on the 200gb. I guess its kind of good in a way.

Thanks for all the quick help.

Copying from a single 160GB to a single 200GB drive should fine with dd.

Quote Originally Posted by ADent
    Copying from a single 160GB to a single 200GB drive should fine with dd.

I need to do something similar, what would the command be to do this and ensure the tivo sees the new space?

Quote Originally Posted by beestea
    I need to do something similar, what would the command be to do this and ensure the tivo sees the new space?
    If the source drive has already been expanded, you can't. Read this.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by beestea
    Or, re-read this.
    1 HR10-250, upgraded to 570 SD hours, hacked, 6.3b.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 206 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 168 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    tyExtract - Automated batch extraction utility
    YacMon - YAC Server log monitor for new call(s) notification via email/text message

OK, let me expand my statement:

Copying from a single 160GB to a single 200GB drive should fine with dd, but you will not be able to see any more disk space.

-----

From my understanding you can not expand a DTiVo A drive more than once. If you A drive has been expanded once already you can -

1) Follow the various guides that lets you see the new space, but you lose your existing shows

2) Extract all your shows, follow the guides, import all the files back

3) Figure out how to merge MFS partitions by hand. There are a couple of vague posts talking about it, but not even a hint of real instructions. [Anybody consider a bounty for a non-destructive TiVo partitioning tool? Even an MFSTools that starts with a fresh set of partitions would be great.]

4) Copy (via dd or whatever) the old A to the new A, but you won't see the new space.

Gotcha... sorry I was thinking dd could do something mfsadd couldn't.

I guess I don't really understand how mfsadd or mfsrestore -x works.... I thought you could do something like partition magic where it actually takes a partition and makes it longer.

From what you guys have posted it seems like it is just adding new partitions.

I also have a second 160gig drive... I wonder if I could do something with that -- really not wanting to set up all of my 30 season passes again