Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: booted from the newbie forum...this place is no help

aet Guest

booted from the newbie forum...this place is no help

this place never gives straight forward answers. check it out...

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=40544

this all will probably get me banned or something.

Quote Originally Posted by aet
    this all will probably get me banned or something.
    If that's a request, I'll be happy to honor it.

aet Guest

well

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    If that's a request, I'll be happy to honor it.
    well, if people actually answered questions and didn't personally attack posters maybe there wouldn't be problems like this. do what you gotta do if you feel it is warrented...i dont.

Here's the problem. You want simple, concise instructions on how to modify your Tivo. This is a hacker's site. Hacking, as defined here, is about wanting to learn how to modify your Tivo to do things it won't do "out of the box" and solving most of your issues by yourself. You're supposed to find joy in getting it to work, rather than just in it working. I like installshield packages as much as the next guy, but you're just not going to get that here. When how-to guides are posted, they're quickly obsolete and not maintained.

It appears to me that this site is set up for hobbyists, not the general public. If you're willing to go through the trouble of learning all of this stuff, chances are you might hang around, help others, and maybe even create a hack or two yourself.

It's not as simple as just a Linux OS running an app and loading drivers. You can enable the usb ports by using the usb 2.0 backports, but then what? You have networking but no way to use it. So, you need telnet and ftp, maybe web access too. But, if you don't protect yourself from updates, Tivo will reward you for your efforts by taking you back to stock form.

Yep, everyone seems quite harsh when you ask to be spoon-fed. I took my licks, you can either take yours or leave. It'll get better. Huge did make a guide for running 4.x on RID. You might search for it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman
    It appears to me that this site is set up for hobbyists, not the general public.
    Anybody who is willing to learn is welcome here. And we'll even help you out, if you're making a good effort.

But if you need your hand held through the whole process: http://www.tivocommunity.com/

aet Guest

like it

i guess i just dont understand why people feel like it is ok to jump on people just because they are new. if those same people wanted others to join this forum and contribute, they wouldn't act like that. i just dont get it.

i guess i just dont understand why people feel like it is ok to jump on people just because they are new. if those same people wanted others to join this forum and contribute, they wouldn't act like that. i just dont get it.
    Let me see if I can make this clear for you.

You come here and go gimme gimme gimme.

Someone pointed you in the right direction and you whined "Thats to hard, gimme gimme gimme"

Try setting at your desk at work next week and do nothing and expect the boss to still pay you.
    2 RCA DVR39 - 209hrs & 35hrs
    Hacks - Bash, Telnet, Mfs_Ftp, TivoWebPlus, USB 2.0
    6.2a, superpatch for HMO/MRV

aet Guest

No and oops

Quote Originally Posted by khig
    Let me see if I can make this clear for you.

You come here and go gimme gimme gimme.

Someone pointed you in the right direction and you whined "Thats to hard, gimme gimme gimme"

Try setting at your desk at work next week and do nothing and expect the boss to still pay you.
    actually, i thanked the people that gave me true help. i never said, "thats too hard". i just want a cut and dry answer and someone has to know it.

BTW
    "Thats to hard, gimme gimme gimme"
    you mean 'Thats TOO hard" right

and
    Try SITTING at my desk right?

i never said, "thats too hard".
    OK, so you didn't say "thats too hard", but then what does this statement mean?
    "i just dont want to do all of the searching...."
    Oh look, the newbies figured out a new toy.
    BTW

you mean 'Thats TOO hard" right

and

Try SITTING at my desk right?
    Nice to see you got the CAPS working and remember how to use it. So what are you now, the grammar police?

aet Guest
    Nice to see you got the CAPS working and remember how to use it. So what are you now, the grammar police?
    nope, just pointing out that you are a moron. i dont deal well with people that act like they know a ton of $hit but then can't use too and to correctly.

nope, just pointing out that you are a moron. i dont deal well with people that act like they know a ton of $hit but then can't use too and to correctly.
    Well you know, actually i am not a very technical person, i am not a computer systems administrator at the age of 24 for a very large company. I'm just a hick from Kansas and isn't it amazing that I could acomplish what is in my sig without all the pissing and moaning and name calling when things didn't get done for me. Why it's a wonder I could even get the lid off
    Last edited by khig; 01-07-2005 at 10:35 AM.

formerlyAET Guest
    hey look at that, i got penality box. boy, thats a shocker.

hey look at that, i got penality box. boy, thats a shocker.
    No, you got kicked off the forum. The penalty box is a temporary "timeout". You've been shown the door, bud.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

God damn, what kind of obsessive psychotic faggot would sit there and talk about how much he hates some place and then just keeps coming back there regardless?
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    God damn, what kind of obsessive psychotic faggot would sit there and talk about how much he hates some place and then just keeps coming back there regardless?
    Apparently aet