Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software 6.1 on Samsung Series 2

Software 6.1 on Samsung Series 2

My series 2 Samsung supports 3.1.1e. I found an image of a 6.1 TiVo and was wondering if it was going to be usable on that Samsung. Do I need a PROM mod in order to get the software up? Is 6.1 just not going to work? I haven't downloaded it yet.

Check out Myth #2 in ADH's thread. Unless the 6.1 image you are seeing is some sort of yet to be released BETA image for the s2 machines it's probably not worth the effort.
    1 HR10-250, upgraded to 570 SD hours, hacked, 6.3b.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 206 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 168 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    tyExtract - Automated batch extraction utility
    YacMon - YAC Server log monitor for new call(s) notification via email/text message

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSorTivo
    Check out Myth #2 in ADH's thread. Unless the 6.1 image you are seeing is some sort of yet to be released BETA image for the s2 machines it's probably not worth the effort.
    I read that post. Nice job sir. Some good info provided there. I'm not clear as to whether and 2.5 series units exist yet? Are you saying that the version I am downloading "must" be a beta release?

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    I read that post. Nice job sir. Some good info provided there. I'm not clear as to whether and 2.5 series units exist yet? Are you saying that the version I am downloading "must" be a beta release?
    Nope. I'm saying in all likelihood that the 6.1 image you are seeing in indeed for a series 2.5 machine, such as the DTV R10, released a few weeks ago or so.
    YacMon - YAC Server log monitor for new call(s) notification via email/text message

Judging from the 7.1 images that have come out, you can expect the following code to differ between a Series2.0 release and a Series2.5 release:

- kernel - will be built with UMA2C support for Series2.5
    - USB modules - will be built for the non-PCI memory mapped USB controller on Series2.5
    - mpg321 - changes will be apparent to us after GPL source is posted
    - OSD interface ABI tweaks - working around this requires some asm knowledge
    - possibly some other hardware ABI differences

Thus, running the wrong image for your hardware is highly unlikely to work without some changes.

So 7.1 for some newer stand-alones and 6.1 for some newer hardware DirecTiVos. Does that appear to be the emerging situation?

No, 7.1 is for Series2.5 and Series2.0 models.

6.1 is currently only for Series2.5. I expect to see perhaps a 6.1.1 or 6.2 release in which the GZcore slice is shared between Series2.0 and Series2.5 DTiVos.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    No, 7.1 is for Series2.5 and Series2.0 models.

6.1 is currently only for Series2.5. I expect to see perhaps a 6.1.1 or 6.2 release in which the GZcore slice is shared between Series2.0 and Series2.5 DTiVos.
    I had heard that 7.1 was only for stand-alone units. Since this isn't going to be the case, that is good news. I don't think any 7.1 images exist yet do they?

I have confirmed that a 6.1 image on emule does not boot on my Series 2. It's just stuck at powering up. So I switched back to the hard drive with 3.1.1e all is well. Tell me about the PROM. I remember flashing the PROM back in the S1 days when I hacked that unit. Is a PROM flash enough to get 6.1 to at least boot up on S2 units and would it affect the ability of the current drive to continue booting normally? I'm using two drives to test from so things are pretty easy at this stage. Tell me what you think.

I had heard that 7.1 was only for stand-alone units. Since this isn't going to be the case, that is good news. I don't think any 7.1 images exist yet do they?
    7.1 is for sa units only, be it s2 or s2.5.

I have confirmed that a 6.1 image on emule does not boot on my Series 2. It's just stuck at powering up. So I switched back to the hard drive with 3.1.1e all is well. Tell me about the PROM. I remember flashing the PROM back in the S1 days when I hacked that unit. Is a PROM flash enough to get 6.1 to at least boot up on S2 units and would it affect the ability of the current drive to continue booting normally? I'm using two drives to test from so things are pretty easy at this stage. Tell me what you think.
    No amount of PROM modification will get this software version to boot on your machine, as stated in the Myths thread linked to above. You'll have to be patient and wait for what ADH is calling the 6.1.1 or 6.2 release.

So 7.1 for a Series 2 (not 2.5) SA wouldn't boot on a Series 2 DirecTV Tivo?

What measures has Tivo taken to prevent this from happening since the 4.x release, since obviously the 4.x release does work on DirecTV units?

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeGSX
    Don't know if anyone's has the opportunity to try this yet, at least publicly. One would have to assume though that they learned their lesson from 4.x...
    Last edited by JohnSorTivo; 01-08-2005 at 02:13 PM.

7.1 or 6.1 could get a DirecTV unit HMO (with some hacking, I am sure), but it is likely that only 7.1 has the Tivo2go feature.

Not that Tivo2go is something that isn't already done, and without needing a key.

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeGSX

What measures has Tivo taken to prevent this from happening since the 4.x release, since obviously the 4.x release does work on DirecTV units?
    Don't get your hopes up. All TiVo would have to do is eliminate dssapp (and of course all links to it in tivoapp) to ensure 7.1 would never run on a DirecTiVo.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

And it seems they have done just that.

Currently 7.1 will NOT work on any directivos. The possibility of getting it working is being looked at though.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 01-08-2005 at 04:00 PM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

I got my hands on 7.1 today, so immediately loaded the image onto a test drive and put it on my RID DTivo. Surprisingly, straight from the restore, it boots up to the Almost There dialog (I didn't expect it to get past Powering Up). Console showed that it couldn't find dssappAV, so I wrote a 3.1.5 kernel to the drive, killhdinitrd'd it, then wrote dssappAV (from the uma6 stuff) to /tvbin. In the process, I went ahead and loaded my hack directory and rc.sysinit.author to get bash going. This kept the boot happy (didn't complain about not finding dssappAV), but still, I couldn't get past the Almost There dialog.

A few observations, it's 12:30am, so I'll try to spend more time on the tomorrow
    1 - Although dssappAV isn't included, the DTivo's weren't exactly excluded (hooks for dssappAV are in the boot cycle, and references to the various DTivo boards is littered throughout the boot scripts).

2 - The boot process has changed significantly. rc.sysinit.author (loaded from the 2nd to last boot script) and test.conf (loaded from the very first boot script) are all still supported, but there's a lot more happening than just rc.sysinit (I think this actually changed in 5.2). Now, there are 114 different boot scripts that get executed in "stages" (StageA-StageG).

3 - While I watched the usb driver load, and the power and link lights came up on my FA120 adapter, ifconfig shows only the loopback. Once I did an ifconfig and set the parameters it was OK. Maybe this didn't fully come up since I never actually finished the boot cycle.

4 - My rc.sysinit.author came from my 4.0.1b box and accidentally did a set_mrv_name.tcl. 7.1 didn't like that at all, and puked with
    Code:
    can't read "TmkEvent::EVT_DATA_CHANGED": no such variable
        while executing
    "event send $TmkEvent::EVT_DATA_CHANGED $TmkDataChanged::DATA_ENCRYPTION_KEYS"
        (file "/hack/bin/set_mrv_name.tcl" line 68)
    Now, my question is to AW & ADH (or anyone else who may know): You've probably gotten further than I have, any hints on getting past this point? dssappAV is running, tvlauncher is running, etc, but it just seems to stop w/ "rc.sysinit is complete", and acts like it think's it's done (i.e. doesn't appear to be failing, it's just done).

Here's the end of the boot from the console output:
    Code:
    Starting TvLauncher
    Waiting for launcher to start.
    Launcher is running.
    Scanning for phase2 repair scripts
    Running boot Stage E_PreApplication scripts
    Checking for database conversions
    No upgrade to load
    Not upgrading software
    Scanning for phase3 repair scripts
    Running boot Stage F_ApplicationLaunch scripts
    Starting Services.
    Microcode version is TiVo!
    PCI: 00:0d.2 PCI cache line size set incorrectly (0 bytes) by BIOS/FW, correcting to 32
    usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x846/0x1040) is not claimed by any active driver.
    Logger not initialized!  Logging to stdout:
    TmkLogger: <133>Jan 26 04:46:48 TmkServer[205]: Enabling port 5353, protocol udp
    Scanning for phase4 repair scripts
    Running boot Stage G_PostApplication scripts
    rc.sysinit is complete
    Thanks,
    Doc
    Last edited by DocTauri; 01-26-2005 at 01:40 AM.

There's no place like ~