Thread: Why should I leave a file in TY format?

Hybrid View

17 Why should I leave a file in TY format?

I really did search around before asking and couldn't find a definitive answer to a simple question:

When bringing shows over with TyTool9r18, why would I want to bring them over in native TY format instead of bringing them over in Multiplex format and converting the audio to DVD rates at the same time? Then I can use the files directly in coverters, DVD authoring apps, etc.

What advantage is there in bringing them over in straight .ty format?

Thanks for any wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by dennya
    I really did search around before asking and couldn't find a definitive answer to a simple question:

When bringing shows over with TyTool9r18, why would I want to bring them over in native TY format instead of bringing them over in Multiplex format and converting the audio to DVD rates at the same time? Then I can use the files directly in coverters, DVD authoring apps, etc.

What advantage is there in bringing them over in straight .ty format?

Thanks for any wisdom.
    Tytools can convert ty to dvd without the need for external tools.

TyTools will xtract them in ty format no matter what transfer method you choose. It muxes the ty file on the fly to convert it to an mpeg file during the extraction process. This option tends to be somewhat buggy so you're better off extracting them in ty format and then muxing them after they've finished extracting.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I have not encountered any problems as of yet transferring the files from the tivo to pc in multiplex mode but was wondering this same thing, would I see even a better quality video if I left it alone as a ty file and burned with tytools or another program. I have been burning with Roxio to get nice menus but am open for change if something is better.

you can also move .ty files back to your tivo with other tools available here if you want to view them on your tivo at a later time. once you convert them and delete the .ty, you no longer have that option.