Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disable Second tuner in DTivo

Disable Second tuner in DTivo

I want to disable the second tuner in my SD-DVR40 because I am moving it to a room where I cannot put another cable line in without drilling through the outside wall. That is - unless I can use a splitter at that one outlet, which I am told will not work (by DTV) Can anyone confirm if the procedure in this post by JJBliss still works?

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...91&postcount=2

Sounds like good advice.

ew

You may be able to use a stacker to be able to drive both tuners... do a search for that keyword in the TITLE at http://www.tivocommunity.com - there are a number of discussions about them.

Quote Originally Posted by dewalt
    I want to disable the second tuner in my SD-DVR40 because I am moving it to a room where I cannot put another cable line in without drilling through the outside wall. That is - unless I can use a splitter at that one outlet, which I am told will not work (by DTV) Can anyone confirm if the procedure in this post by JJBliss still works?

Looks right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by goony
    You may be able to use a stacker to be able to drive both tuners... do a search for that keyword in the TITLE at http://www.tivocommunity.com - there are a number of discussions about them.
    First I heard of that solution...

I read about it, and I saw the prices. I dont think I want to spend that much for a receiver where I will barely even use the Tivo function, much less the dual tuners.

Thanks for the info though...did help me understand the directv signals better

I know it wont work, but what are the techincal implications of using a standard splitter at a cable outlet and creating "two" directv signals.

My usual solution is an appropriate length of RG-6, a drill, fish tape, and appropriate coax connectors. Works every time. But then I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty (not that I'm implying you are).

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    My usual solution is an appropriate length of RG-6, a drill, fish tape, and appropriate coax connectors. Works every time. But then I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty (not that I'm implying you are).

PlainBill
    I'm totally willing, except for the fact that I just bought this townhouse 3 months ago and repainted the entire place.

Although - we did manage to add 3 extra cable lines to our family room onto one wall plate - before the painting started.

I know it wont work, but what are the techincal implications of using a standard splitter at a cable outlet and creating "two" directv signals.
    The two lines need to be able to switch transponders, this is not possible with a splitter.
    The first thing you'll notice if you mess with the cable is there is electricity running through it.
    Standard splitters will not let electricity pass through.
    Odd and even transponders use different voltage as well.
    There are power pass splitters which allow juice to flow through them, but then you end up stuck on odd or even transponders.
    Hence the need for a switch.
    HayreAss

So, even if you find a splitter that passes the voltage through, you'll have one tuner recording on an even transponder and the second tuner wants an odd transponder--which will mess up tuner one's recording whenever it switches polarity. That's why you need at least two wire runs from the switch (built in on most newer dish setups).

ew

Thanks hayreass and eastwind...

That's really helpful info.

The technical implications are that your traditional splitters for Cable TV will seriously attenuate signals at satellite downlink frequencies. In short, it will split the signal and attenuate both feeds so badly that neither one will be usable.

Of course, if you find a splitter actually intended for use with satellite downlink frequencies then it should work.

remote viewing?

Instead of moving the dual receiver tuner, why not put a hacked single-channel Tivo receiver in the other room? You can use MRV to pass shows back and forth and the single channel is more than adequate for watching one program at a time.

I use a hacked DTV receiver in the basement (dual receivers) and a hacked SAS2 receiver wherever I want. The two are connected via an ethernet-over-powerline link, so I can use MRV to watch satellite programming anywhere I want in my condo, whether or not there are cable lines present. As long as I have an outlet on the wall to plug in the ethernet device, I can put a tv there.

- M.

Quote Originally Posted by sparx
    The technical implications are that your traditional splitters for Cable TV will seriously attenuate signals at satellite downlink frequencies. In short, it will split the signal and attenuate both feeds so badly that neither one will be usable.

Of course, if you find a splitter actually intended for use with satellite downlink frequencies then it should work.
    Sorry, but you're wrong. You cannot use any splitter with DirecTV signals. The receiver supplies power to the lnb, and by changing the voltage supplies selects even or odd transponders. No splitter can supply both 13 AND 18 volts to a single transponder, and trying it might damage the recievers. You MUST use a multiswitch.

Now, there is a device called a diplexer which will isolate the supply voltage from one receiver. That one will allow you to hook two recievers to one lnb, but it is virtually useless because only one receiver will be able to control the transponder selection.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    That one will allow you to hook two recievers to one lnb, but it is virtually useless because only one receiver will be able to control the transponder selection.

PlainBill
    Hmmm...
    Not what diplexers are intended for, so yes, in this situation it would be useless.

But, diplexers are far from useless.
    I use three on my system, plus the one built in to the multiswitch.

They can be used to run a mirror by sending the TiVo's output back up the line, or used to send OTA antenna, or cable down the line along with DTV.
    HayreAss