Thread: 7.1 software update: support thread (was: Monte on SA S2 with 7.1)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Monte on SA S2 with 7.1

Hi

i'm trying to monte my SAS2 which has just received 7.1

i've tried using killhdinitrd on a 3.1.5 kernel as i thought that this might work as it is the same linux version i believe but that just gives me a reboot loop

can anyone comment on whether using the s2.5 kernels that were posted here http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/at...achmentid=3966 and then monteing into the 7.1 kernel might work ??
    or any other suggestions

Previously i used the killhdinitrd method on my 4.x software and that worked great (thanks to everyone!) but i know that it's still early days for anything on 7.1

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by davidblack
    Hi

i'm trying to monte my SAS2 which has just received 7.1

i've tried using killhdinitrd on a 3.1.5 kernel as i thought that this might work as it is the same linux version i believe but that just gives me a reboot loop...
    I haven't tried this yet (I might tonight), but why can't you monte from a 2.4.4 3.1.1c killhdinitrd'd kernel?

Alternatively, boot the killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel, and don't monte at all. It's probably compatible with 7.1 on S2 hardware (I'm not certain though).

A final possibility is to use a 2.4.20 version of kmonte.o posted here. Be aware that monteing from 2.4.20 has proved unreliable. It sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't.
    Last edited by Jamie; 01-11-2005 at 06:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by davidblack
    but that just gives me a reboot loop
    And the serial output is attached to which post?

can anyone comment on whether using the s2.5 kernels that were posted here http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/at...achmentid=3966 and then monteing into the 7.1 kernel might work ??
    Don't even bother trying. The bcm2-* init code won't boot a Series2.0.

thanks

i was rushing out when i posted hence didn't grab and attach the serial output - sorry......

i did try booting from the 3.1.5 kernel with killhdinitrd and no monte without success

as suggested i'll try 3.1.1c with a monte and if it works will report back

Cheers

{Edit: I retracted this later, but am leaving the post here the record.}

I can confirm that the 7.1 software doesn't work with the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel on 240 (SAS2) hardware. The kernel console log is attached. I believe I had the same issue when I tried it serveral days back on 264 hardware (toshiba sd-h400), but I was in a hurry and went straight to a monte setup without investigating further.

Monte from 3.1.1.c to a 7.1 kernel (with the initrd replaced), works fine. Might be interesting to see if the 7.1 kernel will fall to the killhdinitrd exploit, but it's not essential since monte works. I always prefer to monte to a custom kernel anyway. Now where is that 7.1 linux kernel source? ;-)
    Last edited by Jamie; 05-22-2005 at 08:07 PM.

I got a TmkServer assert on my TCD540040 when I was running a kernel with CONFIG_NETFILTER turned off. My workaround was something along the lines of:

Code:
    cd /sbin
    mv iptables iptables.old
    echo -e '#!/bin/bash\nexit 0' > iptables
    chmod 755 iptables
    Since I see an iptables failure immediately preceding your error, I suspect you could be running into a similar problem. I'm not sure if netfilter is built into the 3.1.5 kernel, but I can confirm that 3.1.5 doesn't ship with the iptables kernel modules.

Edit: fixed " typo
    Last edited by alldeadhomiez; 02-04-2005 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    I got a TmkServer assert on my TCD540040 when I was running a kernel with CONFIG_NETFILTER turned off. ...
    Ah, the iptables issue had already been pointed out to me and I forgot about it. I'll try that tonight.

{Edit: I think the issue is likely not CONFIG_NETFILTER, but instead that I moved /etc/netfilter-enable out of the way to disable the firewalling. Replacing the iptables command should take care of it in any case.}
    Last edited by Jamie; 01-13-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    I got a TmkServer assert on my TCD540040 when I was running a kernel with CONFIG_NETFILTER turned off. My workaround was something along the lines of:
    Noticed a small typo. Should be:

Code:
    cd /sbin
    mv iptables iptables.old
    echo -e '#!/bin/bash\nexit 0' > iptables
    chmod 755 iptables

0' instead of 0"

No renaming/changing of netfilter-enable required.

I have version 7.1a (7.1a-01-2-240 to be exact) on my SA. Do you guys have 7.1 only? Just trying to pin down what versions are released.

NoCSO is:

Code:
    All Values are Hex

Sw Version          Offset (VMA)     Original Value      New Value
    7.1a                   691284      0320f809              3C020000

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    I can confirm that the 7.1 software doesn't work with the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel on 240 (SAS2) hardware. The kernel console log is attached. I believe I had the same issue when I tried it serveral days back on 264 hardware (toshiba sd-h400), but I was in a hurry and went straight to a monte setup without investigating further.

Monte from 3.1.1.c to a 7.1 kernel (with the initrd replaced), works fine. Might be interesting to see if the 7.1 kernel will fall to the killhdinitrd exploit, but it's not essential since monte works. I always prefer to monte to a custom kernel anyway. Now where is that 7.1 linux kernel source? ;-)
    So which is the right killhdinitrd kernel to use on a 240 (SAS2) Tivo with 7.1?
    Then once this is installed would I need to edit the IPTables? Or would I be good to go to add hacks? Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by ReidWings
    So which is the right killhdinitrd kernel to use on a 240 (SAS2) Tivo with 7.1?
    Then once this is installed would I need to edit the IPTables? Or would I be good to go to add hacks? Thanks for the help
    If you read on in the thread, I retracted that. I'll edit the post to make it clearer. The crash problem was due to the iptables issue ADH pointed out.

Best kernel to use for 7.1

Tivowebplus 1.2 is out now, and hopefully works ok with 7.1. That was the last piece of the puzzle for me, so I think I'm about to take to plunge and try all my hacking on 7.1. I have to be conservative, having only one tivo and a wife, not to do anything to compromise the functionality of the tivo. But anyway, my question is this: What is the best kernel to be used with the 7.1 software. Jamie, you seem to be the king of optimization around here, so I'm particularly curious what you're running. These are the options that seem to be available and my thoughts on them:

1. Run the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel. This seems to be the most popular, particularly since it doesn't require monteing, but I'm curious about disadvantages. I know this one requires replacing iptables. Is that because it is built without netfilter support? Does that offer networking performance increases over the standard 7.1 kernel? Are there any other peculiarities anyone has noticed in this kernel versus the 7.1 kernel, since this kernel wasn't designed to be used with this software version?

2. monte to 7.1 kernel with replace_initrd. This seems like a logical choice to me since it is the appropriate kernel to be used with this software version. It does require monteing, but that's all I've ever done, so it doesn't really seem like much of a hassle to me. Are there any disadvantages to doing it this way? In particular, since this does have netfilter support, is there a network performance impact? I can't imagine any other potential problems since this is the proper kernel for this software version.

3. Custom kernel? Has anyone compiled an optimized kernel from the 7.1 sources? One with netfilter disabled I imagine.

Thanks for the tips! I hope to get my tivo running 7.1 some night this week.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by jbebel
    Jamie, you seem to be the king of optimization around here, so I'm particularly curious what you're running. These are the options that seem to be available and my thoughts on them:
    I monte to a custom kernel. AlphaWolf posted it here in his init framework. Here's a description.

That kernel was built with af_packet.o as a module. I recently noticed that the stock 7.1 kernel has it built into the kernel. The upshot is you might not be able to use dhcp unless you load af_packet.o. I don't use dhcp , so this doesn't affect me.

There was some discussion here that this kernel make break Elseed's OSD capabililties.