Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7.1 software update: support thread (was: Monte on SA S2 with 7.1)

Monte on SA S2 with 7.1

Hi

i'm trying to monte my SAS2 which has just received 7.1

i've tried using killhdinitrd on a 3.1.5 kernel as i thought that this might work as it is the same linux version i believe but that just gives me a reboot loop

can anyone comment on whether using the s2.5 kernels that were posted here http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/at...achmentid=3966 and then monteing into the 7.1 kernel might work ??
    or any other suggestions

Previously i used the killhdinitrd method on my 4.x software and that worked great (thanks to everyone!) but i know that it's still early days for anything on 7.1

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by davidblack
    Hi

i'm trying to monte my SAS2 which has just received 7.1

i've tried using killhdinitrd on a 3.1.5 kernel as i thought that this might work as it is the same linux version i believe but that just gives me a reboot loop...
    I haven't tried this yet (I might tonight), but why can't you monte from a 2.4.4 3.1.1c killhdinitrd'd kernel?

Alternatively, boot the killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel, and don't monte at all. It's probably compatible with 7.1 on S2 hardware (I'm not certain though).

A final possibility is to use a 2.4.20 version of kmonte.o posted here. Be aware that monteing from 2.4.20 has proved unreliable. It sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't.
    Last edited by Jamie; 01-11-2005 at 06:22 PM. Reason: spelling

but that just gives me a reboot loop
    And the serial output is attached to which post?

can anyone comment on whether using the s2.5 kernels that were posted here http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/at...achmentid=3966 and then monteing into the 7.1 kernel might work ??
    Don't even bother trying. The bcm2-* init code won't boot a Series2.0.

thanks

i was rushing out when i posted hence didn't grab and attach the serial output - sorry......

i did try booting from the 3.1.5 kernel with killhdinitrd and no monte without success

as suggested i'll try 3.1.1c with a monte and if it works will report back

Cheers

{Edit: I retracted this later, but am leaving the post here the record.}

I can confirm that the 7.1 software doesn't work with the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel on 240 (SAS2) hardware. The kernel console log is attached. I believe I had the same issue when I tried it serveral days back on 264 hardware (toshiba sd-h400), but I was in a hurry and went straight to a monte setup without investigating further.

Monte from 3.1.1.c to a 7.1 kernel (with the initrd replaced), works fine. Might be interesting to see if the 7.1 kernel will fall to the killhdinitrd exploit, but it's not essential since monte works. I always prefer to monte to a custom kernel anyway. Now where is that 7.1 linux kernel source? ;-)
    Last edited by Jamie; 05-22-2005 at 08:07 PM.

I got a TmkServer assert on my TCD540040 when I was running a kernel with CONFIG_NETFILTER turned off. My workaround was something along the lines of:

Code:
    cd /sbin
    mv iptables iptables.old
    echo -e '#!/bin/bash\nexit 0' > iptables
    chmod 755 iptables
    Since I see an iptables failure immediately preceding your error, I suspect you could be running into a similar problem. I'm not sure if netfilter is built into the 3.1.5 kernel, but I can confirm that 3.1.5 doesn't ship with the iptables kernel modules.

Edit: fixed " typo
    Last edited by alldeadhomiez; 02-04-2005 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    I got a TmkServer assert on my TCD540040 when I was running a kernel with CONFIG_NETFILTER turned off. ...
    Ah, the iptables issue had already been pointed out to me and I forgot about it. I'll try that tonight.

{Edit: I think the issue is likely not CONFIG_NETFILTER, but instead that I moved /etc/netfilter-enable out of the way to disable the firewalling. Replacing the iptables command should take care of it in any case.}
    Last edited by Jamie; 01-13-2005 at 12:32 PM.

i got my box 7.1 booting yesterday with the 3.1.5 kernel but haven't got the network working yet

bootlog shows only two differences to jamies

1. mine only shows 65532k of swap-space against 130684k on jamies
    2. i don't get the iptables error and the Tmk Assertion Failure

all i did was a killhdinitrd on the 3.1.5 kernel and it booted straight off but without any network support

after that i changed a netfilter-enable to -disable in one of the config files (need to check which one for you) and put the usb2 drivers on

networking still doesn't work but i think that's cause i've stuffed up somewhere - back off to check it out now...

bootlog attached

doesn't work with the ehci_hcd dummy file either.

Might this be related to the fact i'm using a linksys 100tx ?
    I found another thread that seems to hint it could be ?
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...4&page=5&pp=15

i'll try to find another usb -> network adapter to try...

doesn't work with the ehci_hcd dummy file either.

Might this be related to the fact i'm using a linksys 100tx ?
    I found another thread that seems to hint it could be ?
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...4&page=5&pp=15

i'll try to find another usb -> network adapter to try...
    I'd try to get network up with the stock 7.1 usb modules before I tried anything else.

The pegasus module in the usb2 2.4.27 backport is known to be flakey with some devices. But the 100tx is on the tivo supported list, so I should think it would work with the stock modules.
    Last edited by Jamie; 01-13-2005 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks - it didn't come up with the standard network drivers hence me playing around.

i've now tried loading the pegasus modules in rc.sysinit

during the boot i get the normal attempt by the boot scripts to load the drivers:

Starting Services.
    Microcode version is TiVo!
    PCI: 00:0d.2 PCI cache line size set incorrectly (0 bytes) by BIOS/FW, correctin
    g to 32
    insmod: /lib/modules/ehci-hcd.o: No such file or directory
    usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x66b/0x400b) is not claimed by any active drive

and then when i get to my part of rc.sysinit that tries to load the drivers for the 100tx (insmod the drivers and then ifconfig eth0) i get:

Scanning for phase4 repair scripts
    Running boot Stage G_PostApplication scripts
    insmod: a module named usbcore already exists
    insmod: a module named usb-ohci already exists
    insmod: a module named pegasus already exists
    rc.sysinit is complete

Still no working network
    (dead to ping, ftp etc.. & no lights on the adapter)

I even tried plugging in a usb 802.11b adapter that worked OOTB on 4.01b and it doesn't get loaded either

no problems in 7.1 with the shipping 7.1 kernel so it's something to do with the 3.1.5 kernel and the 7.1 files interacting.....

Any thoughts anyone ?
    Cheers
    David

Thanks - it didn't come up with the standard network drivers hence me playing around.
    The stock usb modules (mostly) worked for me with a usb200m once I did the iptables replacement. I say mostly, because I lost the network a couple of times when testing and had to pull the dongle out and put it back in to get it back up. I haven't yet tried the backport drivers.
    i've now tried loading the pegasus modules in rc.sysinit
    7.1 will load all the modules for you if you let it.
    during the boot i get the normal attempt by the boot scripts to load the drivers:

Starting Services.
    Microcode version is TiVo!
    PCI: 00:0d.2 PCI cache line size set incorrectly (0 bytes) by BIOS/FW, correcting to 32
    insmod: /lib/modules/ehci-hcd.o: No such file or directory
    So what does an ls on /lib/modules reveal? With the stock modules, ehci-hcd.o should be a symbolic link to a platform directory with the platform specific usb modules. ls the platform directory too.

... no problems in 7.1 with the shipping 7.1 kernel so it's something to do with the 3.1.5 kernel and the 7.1 files interacting.....
    I'm using the 3.1.5 kernel with 7.1 and once I did the iptables replacement, the stock usb modules load fine.

networking working fine now -thanks

lights on my lnksys 100tx don't come on but who cares it works

Dhcp

I had the same experience -- it boots okay with a killhdinitrd'ed 3.1.5, but there's no network. The problem seems to be with DHCP. Running the DHCP client manually gets

socket: address family not supported by protocol
    Make sure to set CONFIG_PACKET=y and CONFIG_FILTER=y in your kernel configuration

Setting a static IP in the TiVo UI works.

anyone got an easy fix for this ?