Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 7.1 software update: support thread (was: Monte on SA S2 with 7.1)

Quote Originally Posted by naxet
    Do I need to edit the IP tables is I do a killhdinitrd on a 4.0.1a kernal into a 7.1b software version?
    I can't parse this as english.

Yes, you need to replace /sbin/iptables.

No, you don't want to use a 4.0.1a kernel.

I suggest you re-read the thread.

35 Iptables: no such file or directory

When I change to the sbin director "cd /sbin" on hdc4 I get the error message "iptables: No such file or directory" when i type
    mv iptables iptables.old

hdc4 is the boot partition, from bootpage. Tivo drive is secondary master in pc

Don't know why but when I rebooted the command worked, go figure
    Last edited by naxet; 07-31-2005 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Reboot fixed the problem

Best kernel to use for 7.1

Tivowebplus 1.2 is out now, and hopefully works ok with 7.1. That was the last piece of the puzzle for me, so I think I'm about to take to plunge and try all my hacking on 7.1. I have to be conservative, having only one tivo and a wife, not to do anything to compromise the functionality of the tivo. But anyway, my question is this: What is the best kernel to be used with the 7.1 software. Jamie, you seem to be the king of optimization around here, so I'm particularly curious what you're running. These are the options that seem to be available and my thoughts on them:

1. Run the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel. This seems to be the most popular, particularly since it doesn't require monteing, but I'm curious about disadvantages. I know this one requires replacing iptables. Is that because it is built without netfilter support? Does that offer networking performance increases over the standard 7.1 kernel? Are there any other peculiarities anyone has noticed in this kernel versus the 7.1 kernel, since this kernel wasn't designed to be used with this software version?

2. monte to 7.1 kernel with replace_initrd. This seems like a logical choice to me since it is the appropriate kernel to be used with this software version. It does require monteing, but that's all I've ever done, so it doesn't really seem like much of a hassle to me. Are there any disadvantages to doing it this way? In particular, since this does have netfilter support, is there a network performance impact? I can't imagine any other potential problems since this is the proper kernel for this software version.

3. Custom kernel? Has anyone compiled an optimized kernel from the 7.1 sources? One with netfilter disabled I imagine.

Thanks for the tips! I hope to get my tivo running 7.1 some night this week.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by jbebel
    Jamie, you seem to be the king of optimization around here, so I'm particularly curious what you're running. These are the options that seem to be available and my thoughts on them:
    I monte to a custom kernel. AlphaWolf posted it here in his init framework. Here's a description.

That kernel was built with af_packet.o as a module. I recently noticed that the stock 7.1 kernel has it built into the kernel. The upshot is you might not be able to use dhcp unless you load af_packet.o. I don't use dhcp , so this doesn't affect me.

There was some discussion here that this kernel make break Elseed's OSD capabililties.