Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mfstool screwup

mfstool screwup

Don't suppose anybody has seen this one before?

Code:
    Starting restore
    Uncompressed backup size: 688 megabytes
    Restoring 688 of 688 megabytes (100.00%) (91.16% compression)
    Cleaning up restore.  Please wait a moment.
    /dev/hdb: Success
    mfs_load_volume_header: mfsvol_read_data: Input/output error
    Segmentation fault
    All images I try to restore to this drive fail with this error. I am having a hell of a time figuring out why. The partition map is created and the partition layout and everything seems to setup ok, but all of the partitions are completely blank. Doesn't seem to be a qunlock issue either.
    Before PMing me: I知 not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Which image are you restoring? I've never seen one that large before.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

i've seen that with a bad ide cable before. the partition table gets written at the beginning of the restore, but when it gets read back at the end, the data is found to be invalid (it didn't get written correctly).

ymmv, of course.

ronny

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    Which image are you restoring? I've never seen one that large before.
    Or rather an image that small. This image is actually about as small as you can *possibly* get. You are probably normally used to seeing it read the image size in therms of gigabytes instead of megabytes. It still gives this same error no matter what image I use though, even images that I know are good because I have been able to use them before.
    Before PMing me: I知 not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    It still gives this same error no matter what image I use though, even images that I know are good because I have been able to use them before.
    pointing even more to bad cable (or target drive, or, slimly-possibly bad ram).

ronny

Quote Originally Posted by ronnythunder
    pointing even more to bad cable (or target drive, or, slimly-possibly bad ram).

ronny
    At this point the only thing I can see is a bad cable being a possibility (I just did a memcheck as part of a burn in, and I did a diagnostic on the drive and it passed with flying colors,) but that is pushing it since the cable is pretty new. Don't have another one to try it with atm though.

I'm having a slightly different problem with "segmentation fault" that's driving me nuts as well. I used mfsbackup to create an image of my original stock tivo drive (40G). I know the image was successful because I have actually restored it and used it several times. I then purchased a Maxtor 120G drive in order to hack and expand my system.

I restored the 40G image and expanded it to fill the 120G drive. I then applied some very basic hacks (3.1.1.c kernel, killhdinitrd and activate backdoors). I then went to use mfsbackup to create a baseline hacked image before proceeding to riskier things. Mfsbackup now jumps out immediately with the 'segmentation fault' message. I have tried everything -- re-lowlevel formatted the Maxtor, ran checks on all my system RAM, used the Maxtor on both the primary and secondary cables, even alternated my two DDR RAM chips and swapped their sockets just to see if that changed anything. I have also tried booting with different linux boot disks and nothing will let me back up that drive.

Well, I just tried it with another IDE cable that I know to be tip top quality, and I still get the same problem. I ran the seatools diagnostic and ran every check possible, including on the disk controller and the memory (as well as running 10 passes in memtest86 earlier) as well as a full surface scan. Everything passes with flying colors.

I am at a complete loss as to what is causing this. The only thing I can venture to guess is that maybe some of the hardware I am using is too new and the linux kernel doesn't fully support it? (It is an intel D915PBL motherboard which was only made fairly recently, with 6 SATA ports and a single IDE channel so it is a bit out of the norm compared to what most people have.)

Well, I just tried it with another IDE cable that I know to be tip top quality, and I still get the same problem. I ran the seatools diagnostic and ran every check possible, including on the disk controller and the memory (as well as running 10 passes in memtest86 earlier) as well as a full surface scan. Everything passes with flying colors.

I am at a complete loss as to what is causing this. The only thing I can venture to guess is that maybe some of the hardware I am using is too new and the linux kernel doesn't fully support it? (It is an intel D915PBL motherboard which was only made fairly recently, with 6 SATA ports and a single IDE channel so it is a bit out of the norm compared to what most people have.)
    Not sure if it was on DDB or TCF but a couple of people posted having problems with some of the nVDIA motherboards that had on-board SATA. The problem existed even if the SATA ports weren't being used. The solution was to use a different computer. Sounds like you may have a similar problem.

Surprised you don't just have an old computer lying around that you use for tivo hacking. I got tired of taking apart my computer and I have an old PIII sitting in my basement that works great.
    Last edited by newbie; 01-24-2005 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie
    Not sure if it was on DDB or TCF but a couple of people posted having problems with some of the nVDIA motherboards that had on-board SATA. The problem existed even if the SATA ports weren't being used. The solution was to use a different computer. Sounds like you may have a similar problem.

Surprised you don't just have an old computer lying around that you use for tivo hacking. I got tired of taking apart my computer and I have an old PIII sitting in my basement that works great.
    Well, my old computer that I recently quit using was a laptop, and it is difficult for me to use the only other computer that is available. Fortunately with this computer, attaching a tivo drive is rather easy. I have an open ide cable just sitting there that nothing is using, and all I do is pop the case off and plug it in.

On the note of the hardware though, a bleeding edge 2.6 kernel gave some interesting results. Mfstools did the restore and didn't report any errors at all nor segfault. However, the 2.6 kernel doesn't seem to like the apple partition map or something of that nature and it didn't recognize the disk partitions as valid block devices, so in order to attempt to mount them I had to boot to a 2.4 kernel.

But that didn't do any good because when I was able to examine the partitions by booting to a 2.4 kernel, they were completely blank which means that mfstools didn't do its job just the same as it doesn't with the 2.4 kernel, only for some reason it just doesn't report the errors with the 2.6 kernel.

It seems that you are right though, searching on TCF for issues with the mfsvol_read_data errors are always resolved by using an older computer. I know that the hardware and the linux kernel aren't at fault for this, and the reason why is because I can otherwise manipulate tivo hard disks perfectly using tridges tools in this computer. I can even extract tystreams using mfs_tmfstream. The fault no doubt lies in mfstools somewhere, though theres no telling where exactly, and I do not have the debugging skills to find out.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 01-24-2005 at 02:08 PM.

However, the 2.6 kernel doesn't seem to like the apple partition map or something of that nature and it didn't recognize the disk partitions as valid block devices, so in order to attempt to mount them I had to boot to a 2.4 kernel.
    "tivopart r" should allow you to access the tivo partitions from a 2.6 kernel.

This is a long shot, but why not try this attached mfs_restore which was compiled on Fedora Core 2 with a 2.6 kernel.

... The only thing I can venture to guess is that maybe some of the hardware I am using is too new and the linux kernel doesn't fully support it? (It is an intel D915PBL motherboard which was only made fairly recently, with 6 SATA ports and a single IDE channel so it is a bit out of the norm compared to what most people have.)...
    I have one of those "nvidia boards with sata(asus a7n8x deluxe)", I could not for the life of me boot with pvr, mfstools, sleeper, etc cd's... tried jumpers, tried cable select, tried with only cdrom with boot cd in, tried disconnecting the sata drives (power/sata cables),etc.... still could not boot from cd
    (i do run 2 sata drives in a raid0 array as my regular system)

grabbed m/b manual... found the sata jumper, set jumper to disable sata (might be a setting in the newer bios') and booya, booted first shot...

just fyi, might point u in direction to look...

I swear to god mfstool is such a PITA. Here I am several years later, googled the same error message, and this old thread is the only result. This is with an entirely new setup (not a single piece of hardware is the same,) and I have thoroughly tested all of the hardware and it works perfectly.

Tried the one posted above just now and same issue. I don't suppose in my absence somebody has made an obscure update to mfstool to correct these issues have they? I'd use winmfs except it isn't going to work with an mfstool image of the only backup I have.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
    Tried the one posted above just now and same issue. I don't suppose in my absence somebody has made an obscure update to mfstool to correct these issues have they? I'd use winmfs except it isn't going to work with an mfstool image of the only backup I have.
    Have you tried the updated mfstools on mfslive?