Thread: Xbox <-> TiVo: hobbyist information & resources index

Xbox <-> TiVo: hobbyist information & resources index

xbox is a cool toy and a lot of tivo geeks also have an xbox or three. here's links to major source of xbox info and utils

www.xbox-scene.com/tutorials and forums.xbox-scene.com

*make sure your pc is properly immunized first via firewall, virus checker and script blocking - lotta cruft attached or linked to in those forums. probably an unavoidabe consequence of the demographic

there are quite a few cool xbox <-> tivo utils. this thread is sticky, let's turn it into an index by adding posts with links to sites or threads relevant to tivo <-> xbox issues

First stop for owners of hacked TiVo and Xbox...

http://www.fatattitude.com/software/...info.asp?app=8

This is the home of the TiVoX Control Station and the files needed to use it to its fullest potential. I'm still working on getting this stuff set up the way I want it, but this provides a pretty slick (not to mention pretty seamless) interface between TiVo and Xbox.

I think the TiVoX Control Station author is a frequent poster here, but I thought I'd give appropriate props by making this app the first to be posted in this sticky.

Hello there - yes, I wrote TiVoX control station and Jim has since made some pretty cool modifications to it, to add support for multiple tivos, etc.

It's available for download as always from www.fatattitude.com/software
    Carlos

I downloaded TivoX 1.5, the script seems to be start fine on the XBMC side of things, but it hangs whenever it tries to grab guide/showing content from tivo.

I have set ccxstream to start automatically in the rc.sysinit.author file, but just to make sure I manually tried to run it, and it came back with 'cant bind socket to port 1400'.

Im running an XBMC build from 1/1/07, and a SA 2.5 (540) with TWP and ccxstream (ccxstream_s2) installed.

Anything I should check or could try?

Update:

In noticed that my tivo shows up as one of the video servers (probably cause Ive got ccxstream on the tivo). So I guess theres no need to transfer the TivoX files to the XBMC anymore, just one of those outdated solutions that you get when you read old posts

BTW, my video is pretty choppy, not sure where the bottleneck is, but my tivo/router/xbox are all using 802.11g.. and Ive never had choppy video when streaming from the pc to the xbox wirelessly so Im guessing tivo must be sending it slowly... this makes sense because Tivo Desktop is PAINFULLY slow in transferring tivo files over too.

Any suggestions? I have an sa 2.5 tivo with a usb network adapter going to a linksys 802.11g game adapter (basically a client bridge) to connect to the network wirelessly.

A few things I notice.

A Nightlight (2.5) machine is notriously slow for things like network transfers. Especially if you're using the default included drivers, and not Jamie's USB backport drivers.

802.11g wireless is also pretty slow, especially if its competing with other devices on the network.

Even worse if it is set to 802.11b mode by accident, or there is any 802.11b device on the local network.

Finally, wireless is going to be slow regardless and compounding the problem with larger recording-files. High- and Best- Quality are going to take far longer to finish transferring than Basic Quality shows. Medium Quality should transfer almost in real-time if nothing else is competing for wireless bandwidth.

I forget at what rate ccxstream on the Tivo likes to transfer but I imagine either its a little too high for your wireless connection, or the ccxstream program itself doesn't run well on the 2.5 Nightlight MIPS CPU. Narrow down the problem with a full wired connection and see what changes.
    Last edited by Narf54321; 02-11-2007 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by enliteneer View Post
    Update:

In noticed that my tivo shows up as one of the video servers (probably cause Ive got ccxstream on the tivo). So I guess theres no need to transfer the TivoX files to the XBMC anymore, just one of those outdated solutions that you get when you read old posts
    I had been searching for an updated Tivox but as you indicate, once I get CCXStream running on my tivo I won't need it. What about the other features of Tivox like sheduling recording and viewing the To Do list etc...? Are they doable from the XBox without Tivox script?

Quote Originally Posted by enliteneer View Post
    BTW, my video is pretty choppy, not sure where the bottleneck is, but my tivo/router/xbox are all using 802.11g.. and Ive never had choppy video when streaming from the pc to the xbox wirelessly so Im guessing tivo must be sending it slowly... this makes sense because Tivo Desktop is PAINFULLY slow in transferring tivo files over too.
    Did you get rid of the choppiness? What was the solution?

Just as a heads up - XBMC has been ported to Linux! It's still considered "alpha" but plays any HD I throw at it just fine and is progressing at lightning speed. There's talk of recording capability via some sort of front end to various PVR but that's in the future. Since I've just bought a TIVO HD though this thread certainly perked my interest. Seems I'll be retiring my Zippered DTIVO....

i have the tivo series 2 but no acount am i screwed or what?

me too

Quote Originally Posted by cmoneycash View Post
    i have the tivo series 2 but no acount am i screwed or what?
    I guess that there will be two of us then
    CREATIVITY AT WORK: SILENCE

Now what are the solution which are perfect and and claim that these things are not going to happen again in future,If this thing is being hacked then there must be some robust solution for this too.
    http://www.worldshottestbats.com