Thread: Couple of HDVR2 w/4.01b Questions

Couple of HDVR2 w/4.01b Questions

I originally hacked my HDVR2 using the 4.0.1b-2003 image from emule and used the sleeper disc to install the hacks.

Since then I have done 3 RID units by hand (with guidance from this thread) with a good instantcake image using the killinitrd'd 3.1.1c kernel from the ptv disc.

Last night I borked my HDVR2 while trying unsleeper it and so I re-imaged the hard drive and started over.

I have it up and running now and everything is cool but I seems the 4.0.1a kernel on the ptv disc is different from the 3.1.1c kernel I had to use on the RID units and so that leaves me with a couple questions.

I had to add busybox to the path in my rc.sysinit.author in order to get ftp running

I notice when i run env on one of my RID units it says PATH=./:.:/utils:/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/tivobin:/busybox

on my hdvr2 it just has PATH=/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/busybox

the question is do I need all of the other stuff in my PATH and is there any other info I should know about because in a lot of threads people say all you need to do for an HDVR2 is use a clean mfs image and the 4.0.1a kernel.
    Last edited by pdt; 01-24-2005 at 11:52 AM.

How do you get the paths to display from the bash prompt?

Quote Originally Posted by jed5426
    How do you get the paths to display from the bash prompt?
    a couple of options:

1) type "set" and you'll see al of the environment variables, including PATH
    2) type "echo $PATH" to see just the PATH environment variable

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by pdt
    the question is do I need all of the other stuff in my PATH and is there any other info I should know about because in a lot of threads people say all you need to do for an HDVR2 is use a clean mfs image and the 4.0.1a kernel.
    Having "." in your PATH is convenient in that it allows you to run commands from the current directory without having to specify the full or relative path to them; not a necessity but it is convenient. The first two entries you had ("." and "./") are the same thing, btw - the current directory.

You only need "/utils" in your path if that directory exists and actually has something in it you'd like to run.

Matt