Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blocking updates (split from: building kernel for s2?)

Problem that may be encryption

I've been running a stock compiled kernel (made with the steps set out here) for a month or so, and things have been golden. Till last night.

Sometime in the last day or so, the tivo has decided that all the old recordings that used to be watchable are now errors (with the screen about no video on that channel and teh instant request for delete). New recordings seem to be fine, but I haven't waited long enough to see if tehy will start to go south as well.

How can this be an encryption error? Nothings changed on the tivo in the last few weeks, but suddenly things are unwatchable. Any suggestions? I'd happily try a different kernel if that would make these old recordings watchable. I'm loath to just restart from scratch, as I've no clue what is causing this error. Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewSeidl
    I've been running a stock compiled kernel ... for a month or so, and things have been golden. Till last night.

Sometime in the last day or so, the tivo has decided that all the old recordings that used to be watchable are now errors ...

How can this be an encryption error? Nothings changed on the tivo in the last few weeks, but suddenly things are unwatchable.
    Did your kernel have the LBA48 mod? (or else, what do you mean by "stock"?) Did your TiVo switch to the 3.1.1d update? Have you checked all of your old recordings? I think we'll need to know some more info (TiVo model, software version, killhdinitrd, killinitrd, monte, hacks, etc.) to make any suggestions.

My own issue with recordings not playing may be an LBA48 issue, not encryption -- I let my TiVo run for awhile with a killhdinitrd modified 3.1.1c kernel on a >137GB disk. I have yet to investigate it, but hope to this weekend.

Sorry. More full info.

Custom compiled LBA48 kernel. killhdinitrd on a 3.1.1c to boot the kernel. Never done the old way (i.e. no sleeper disk, etc). No other mods beyond that at the moment. Does have a phone line connected, but its been complaining about lack of phone calls. Could that be it? Did directtv push down a new update? (I had thought I'd unplugged the phone line, apparently I was wrong). If there was a new update, that would explain it I suspect.

Sorry. More full info.

Does have a phone line connected, but its been complaining about lack of phone calls. Could that be it? Did directtv push down a new update? (I had thought I'd unplugged the phone line, apparently I was wrong). If there was a new update, that would explain it I suspect.
    And that is looking more and more like it was it. Crap. I could have sworn I'd pulled the phone line, but apparently I hadn't. My other S2 dtivo is still on 3.1.1c and is working fine. I've shut down the broken one for now, so it doesn't scramble things any worse, and I'll try putting 3.1.1c back on it later today or tomorrow. That will at least fix the encrytpion error (since the old programs were recorded without encryption and the new ones with). Of course, since it was running for a little while without an lba48 kernel, I'm expecting the shows to be fairly scrambled, but I can at least hope some might survive.

And I'll make super sure to pull the phone line this time.

Any ideas/suggestions how badly scrambled the recordings are likely to be? I'm guessing theres no good way to 'fix' things now, but if there is I'd love to hear about it.

And I'll make super sure to pull the phone line this time.
    The updates are downloaded via the satellite. ( did you
    know that?

Not sure if the phone is needed to activate them or not...

jack

Quote Originally Posted by EvilJack
    The updates are downloaded via the satellite. ( did you
    know that?

Not sure if the phone is needed to activate them or not...

jack
    I could have sworn seeing that the whole reason the direct tivo's still have a phone line was to get software updates, and without the line installed, they wouldn't. If thats not the case, is there any reasonable way to disable updates?

Hmm, the second dtivo, the one without the phone line installed, hasn't been updated. I'll keep an eye on it, but if it doesn't get updated, that would be pretty strong evidence that the phone line is required.

There are several posts on the 3.1.5 on my hdvr2 thread that
    talk about the 3.1.5d and 3.1.1d update getting loaded into the MFS file system with tivos with no phone lines attached.

I'm not sure how/when the new software is actually
    activated. My 3.1.1c tivo has had 3.1.1d in the MFS
    area... ready to be activated.. for a few weeks, but
    I'm still using 3.1.1c.

jack

Quote Originally Posted by EvilJack
    There are several posts on the 3.1.5 on my hdvr2 thread that
    talk about the 3.1.5d and 3.1.1d update getting loaded into the MFS file system with tivos with no phone lines attached.

I'm not sure how/when the new software is actually
    activated. My 3.1.1c tivo has had 3.1.1d in the MFS
    area... ready to be activated.. for a few weeks, but
    I'm still using 3.1.1c.

jack
    Hmm, this seems like a change then. I mean, if the software can randomly change underneath us, its really hard to be confident running anLBA48 kernel. I'll pull the disk from my 3.1.1c tivo tomorrow and see if the bootpage has been changed and its just waiting for a reboot or something. Without someway to prevent this happening, just seems like a big risk that everything will go south with no notice or control.

no one said it wasn't a risk... your living on the bleeding
    edge... sometimes you get bloody....

I thought I read somewhere ( but I can't find it now )
    a bootpage variable you could set ( updatesoftware=false
    maybe ) that would tell your tivo not to update any new
    software.... I can't find that now... maybe it was a different
    variable.

I'm sure that some of the other threads have talked
    about how to stop updates... I don't know what the
    details are off the top of my head....

jack

Hmm, this seems like a change then. I mean, if the software can randomly change underneath us, its really hard to be confident running an LBA48 kernel.
    While you're checking the bootpage, add 'upgradesoftware=false' to it and YOU will control your next upgrade.

The upgrade will come down and just sit in MFS uninstalled. Your tivo will reboot at 2:00am each night but will operate for a long time and maybe forever.

There's only been one update (4.01b-01 to 4.01b-02) for SA's that eventually after many months wouldn't get the guide anymore.

At any rate, you'll have plenty of time to plan your update on your time and after you have all your hack files backed up or whatever.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 10-25-2004 at 12:32 AM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

From what I've read, 3.1.1d is the first software update to be sent via satellite. It still requires a phone call for TiVo/DTV to tell your box to switch over.

Adding "upgradesoftware=false" to your bootpage will prevent updates until you're ready for them (and if you are using Monte, make sure that parameter gets passed along to your second-pass kernel too). This has kept mine from switching to 3.1.1d, even though the software had already been downloaded to my hard drive (and I've read that in the last 2-3 weeks many people's TiVos have gotten the "go ahead" command to switch).

... I've shut down the broken one for now, so it doesn't scramble things any worse, and I'll try putting 3.1.1c back on it later today or tomorrow. That will at least fix the encryption error (since the old programs were recorded without encryption and the new ones with). Of course, since it was running for a little while without an lba48 kernel, I'm expecting the shows to be fairly scrambled, but I can at least hope some might survive.
    Any ideas/suggestions how badly scrambled the recordings are likely to be? I'm guessing theres no good way to 'fix' things now, but if there is I'd love to hear about it.
    What I discovered was that I could switch back to the non-LBA48 kernel and play the older recordings. I had the satellite coaxes unplugged so it couldn't make any new recordings. That might help prevent further corruption.

When others have said they ran a non-LBA48 kernel on a drive formatted larger than 137GB, several people had replied that there would be problems 'after some period of time' -- when the kernel blissfully thought it was writing above the 137GB point, but the writes were really being folded back to the bottom (overwriting anything that was previously there). It appears to be the case that the TiVo can decide to start using parts of the disk above the 137GB point immediately, so the corruption can happen right away (not 'after some time').

It's been over 10 days since I last checked, but I'm about to switch back to the non-LBA48 kernel to see if the older recordings are still playable. I haven't deleted anything since I started this whole upgrade, so that may have helped (except a couple got automatically deleted due to "keep at most N" and "keep until space needed" settings). I'll follow up with what I find out.

there are tokens in mfs that determine whether to process/capture showcases/updates in the satellite stream or the teleworld programming (on sa's) search for showcase, sc.tcl & such

the tokens are usually installed during a daily call

neuter the tokens and/or set "upgradesoftware=false" and you're fine

updates have been in the sat stream since day 1 - they're not allways present but can reappear at any time

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    updates have been in the sat stream since day 1
    Was this a response to my saying that 3.1.1d was the first to be sent via satellite? I got that from discussion on DBSForums back in March of this year, including this thread (posts #18-30). People (including Dan Collins, the Administrator) who have claimed to have authoritative sources, said at that time that 3.1.1c would be delivered via phone, and it would install the hooks necessary for future updates to be delivered via satellite.

bought an open box t60 (s1dtivo) for christmas of '01, it had sw version 2.0 and a spectacularly blown modem (resembling charcoal) never even had a phone line connected

I was thrilled when it updated to the 2.5 sw and the second tuner became usable, about a day later I realized new recordings were encrypted & got seriously annoyed

can't play old recordings after monte'ing to lba48

GromIt, whatever happened to your problem? I'm having the same problem on my HDVR2 (non-RID). Running 3.1.1b OS, booting killhdinitrd'd 2.4.4 stock
    kernel, and monte'ing to a 2.4.4 with lba48 enabled (which I found elsewhere on dealdatabase). I expanded the stock 40GB to a Seagate 160GB (single-drive setup) with mfstools 2.0 on a PTVupgrade boot CD. I've disabled encryption using the echo/dd method pointed out elsewhere, which I've verified to be working super-duper for future recordings. However, my problem is with all my original recordings. ciphercheck.tcl reports encrypted-yes and CSO-yes for ALL my old recordings, yet the tivo refuses to play any of them, giving the typical recording error message, and asking if I'd like to delete. What gives? I'd love to hear any ideas, as I'd hate to lose my old recordings for some silly reason.

Thanks in advance.