Thread: avoid outpost / fry's

Angry avoid outpost / fry's

have ordered several things since dec 2 and spent most of $1,000. many of the orders have been split up in shipping. DHL lost one box (left it on the neighbor's porch actually)

been playing phone tag with outpost cust service since dec 8 and cumulitively wasted several hours on hold & such, now they tell me the claim wasn't actually filed until JAN 17!!! and of course it's too late to get $75 credit for the missing dimm

their current suggestion, file a police report

assuming you're willing to invest the time chasing rebates that never materialize and advertised specials that're out of stock or backordered until the item's out of style don't do business with those morons unless you have a credit card from a bank with decent cust svc that's willing to reverse charges in this type of situation

grrrrrr

heh, frys is natorious for their shady rebates as well.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Sorry to hear you've had a run of bad luck with Fry's/Outpost. I've never had any major problems with any orders I've placed with them. I did place an order for an item on their website that was out of stock by the time the paperwork got to the shipping department. The item was on sale and limited to the stock on hand so I was SOL. I also ordered two UHF antennas a while back and one of them arrived somewhat bent and the box was open. This is more of an issue with the shipper (DHL) than the seller.

I've had every rebate honored and always received my deliveries in a timely manner. The only advise I can offer is that if you have issues then make sure you insist that the items be insured and require a signature upon delivery. That way you can confirm delivery and refuse to accept the item if it appears damaged.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I only order items with MANUFACTURERS rebates. This helps too.

I have ordered 3 seagate drives over the year and each one got me a $50 rebate from Seagate. They were in stock and delivered accordingly.

Go Newegg IMO.
    2 HR20-100's with OTA (Thank GOD I didnt get a HR21)
    3 HDVR2's with 6.2, Sub'd, Hacked and 160 gig Seagates.
    1 HR10-250 with 250 WD and 300 Seagate, fully Hacked
    3 HDVR2's with 6.2, Hacked and 160 gig Seagates.
    Who doesnt have 7 Tivos? and with 5 computers, contain 2 Terabytes of storage medium in their house??
    Thanks to all who makes up DDB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool

When I'm at their store buying something, I make sure that there is NO WHITE STICKER on the item !! The white sticker usually means that it was an returned item.

I just received my last seagate rebate. I've never had a problem with fry's electronics honestly.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenStL
    I only order items with MANUFACTURERS rebates. This helps too.

I have ordered 3 seagate drives over the year and each one got me a $50 rebate from Seagate. They were in stock and delivered accordingly.

Go Newegg IMO.
    actually, i have had the worst problems with MFR rebates from frys, since a good number are from no-name places. at least with a frys rebate you can yell at the store MGR
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

I'm confused reading that, but I got another check just yesterday. They dont even waste money on an envelope, the postcard I get in the mail IS a check. Amazing. I hope some postal carrier with the same name as someone doesnt get any bright Ideas............
    2 HR20-100's with OTA (Thank GOD I didnt get a HR21)
    3 HDVR2's with 6.2, Sub'd, Hacked and 160 gig Seagates.
    1 HR10-250 with 250 WD and 300 Seagate, fully Hacked
    3 HDVR2's with 6.2, Hacked and 160 gig Seagates.
    Who doesnt have 7 Tivos? and with 5 computers, contain 2 Terabytes of storage medium in their house??
    Thanks to all who makes up DDB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still waiting on a Seagate rebate purchased from Outpost.
    Been showing scheduled for processing since Sept 9.
    Have done 6 thru Outpost and all but one took extra phonecalls and such to get the rebate. I no longer buy there.
    They claim it is Seagate that is behind in the rebates.
    Hughes HDVR2 Sleepered 120 hrs! Not sure how it works it just does.
    RCADVR40 hacked using lightiv guide, It works, sorta.

I had the same thing happen with all of my rebates. Except I just wait a long time and they finally arrive, I never call anybody.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Ironically, I had previously posted in favor of OUtpost.com/Fry's but just the other day I received a notice from Seagate that they had invalidated a rebate that was submitted for a drive purchased from Outpost.com. I had another one revoked a while back but I had entered the incorrect serial number on the rebale form and had to resubmit it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the latest rebate I submitted that got invalidated as far as I can tell.

On a positive note, at least they give you the opportunity to resubmit the rebate rather than simply trashing it and never informing you. The problem does appear to be on the Seagate end since both notifications came from Seagate directly and not Outpost.com. It's almost like they don't want to honor any rebates offered through Fry's/Outpost for some reason.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Outpost have Seagate 160 gig 8mb cache for $99.99
    $50 rebate valid 2/2-2/8
    hehe, any takers?
    Hate to let a $50 160 gig drive get by, as they say this fool will never learn, maybe i like the thrill of the hunt n chase of actually getting the rebate.
    On a side note these Seagate drives sure are quiet and an unmatched 5 year warranty. Them new WD2500BB drives in the HD Tivo are super quiet too.
    Hughes HDVR2 Sleepered 120 hrs! Not sure how it works it just does.
    RCADVR40 hacked using lightiv guide, It works, sorta.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn
    Outpost have Seagate 160 gig 8mb cache for $99.99
    $50 rebate valid 2/2-2/8
    hehe, any takers?
    Hate to let a $50 160 gig drive get by, as they say this fool will never learn, maybe i like the thrill of the hunt n chase of actually getting the rebate.
    On a side note these Seagate drives sure are quiet and an unmatched 5 year warranty. Them new WD2500BB drives in the HD Tivo are super quiet too.
    I've gotten Outpost/Seagate rebates in the past with no problems.

Some small percentage of my rebates do get rejected for bogus reasons, but this tends to fix itself after I resubmit a copy of the materials I sent in. In my experience, rebate processors are very likely to reject the UPC if (for whatever reason) it doesn't scan perfectly the first time they zap it.

As for the noise level generated by Seagate drives - google for Seagate AAM. Their idle noise level is good but seeks have gotten obnoxiously loud since they got sued. I have an old Seagate 80GB with AAM that is nearly silent, but sadly their recent drives are not really suitable for PVR use.