Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive wont Power Up

Unhappy Hard Drive wont Power Up

I've got a weird problem. I have an S2 and the hard drive will not power up when the IDE cable is attached. If I remove the IDE cable the hard drive will power up. If I reconnect the IDE cable while the hard drive is powered up I don't get a picture and nothing happens. I unplug the TiVo and power the TiVo back up and the hard drive will not power up. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Try swapping out IDE cables. Check all cable connections to make sure everything is seated properly. I would advise against connecting the IDE cable aftwer the drive is powered up. I'm not exactly sure what will happen but I've always been told that this is a bad thing to do.

One other possibility is that your power supply may be getting loaded down somehow and connecting the IDE cable is diverting power to ground, preventing the drive from spinning up. Start with the cable checks but don't connect or disconnect anything with power applied as bad things could happen.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Some cables can be inserted upside down too...
    Might be something to check out.

Shorting Out Cables

When plugging the IDE cable into the HD with power applied can cause a short to ground. This will cause the power supply to not load up/spin up the HD. Check all cables before powering up. Change out the HD and cable to see if you still get the same problem. This is called process of elimination. The hunt and hope you find the problem, Course 101.

Southdade
    Iím Miserable, Tired & Aggravated. Other Than That Iím Alive, Well & Kickin!

Thanks for the feedback. I have tried using both a different hard drive, and a new IDE cable. I get the same results. Any other suggestions?

Run a diagnostic on the drive in your PC to make sure it's not hosed.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Point Well Taken!

Captain Video Has a valid point. It still sounds like a possible short some where. The only other thing I can think of is the ribbon cables. Make sure they are seated. I'm sorry that I can't be of more help. I'll keep asking around. If I come up with anything I'll get back.

Southdade
    Iím Miserable, Tired & Aggravated. Other Than That Iím Alive, Well & Kickin!

My TCD140060 HD wont spin up either

I have a series2 TCD140060.

My hard drive won't spin up with the IDE cable plugged in, but it does if I unplug the cable.

I have tried a different IDE cable with same result.

I have tried a different HD from a working TiVo - same result.

I have tried an external power supply to the drive while connected to the IDE cable and it did not spin up.

The TiVo power supply seems OK: the lights and the fan work, and the drive spins up (w/out the IDE cable).

The same hard drive boots fine in another TiVo.

Not sure what else to try ... but it sounds like I may need a new system board?

Quote Originally Posted by psartori
    I have a series2 TCD140060....
    I have the same model with same problem... Except I had the system upgrade to two 120GB drives, and it runs fine for 1.5 years. About three weeks ago OS got update to Tivo 7.0. Refused to boot about two weeks later (1st reboot). I am thinking maybe the updated is what kills it. Do your remember if you system was also updated to 7.0 before it died?

P.s. I am waiting for my replacement from Tivo (they charged me about $80) for it. If you call them, they will tell you to do the same. Sounds ok if you already paid for the lifetime sub.

Same problem here with a TCD140060 - drive powers up ok with ide not connected, doesn't spin up with ide connected

Drive from TCD140060 works fine in another tivo

Good drive from another tivo doesn't work in TCD140060

I've tried changing the IDE cable without success

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Cheers
    David

You could try another power supply, but that's grasping at straws.

I'd suspect a dead main board.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

still trying

still playing with this problem

i can't get a 'factory' prompt on the serial port either, regardless of whether the drive is connected or not. My other s2 will give me a factory prompt regardless of whether i have a drive connected or not

trying taking the power to the drive from another source doesn't help

tried new drive cables and other drives without success

the light on the front of the tivo is on but appears that no one is home

cheer
    David

Hello everyone. I bought the same model with this problem. I have found the solution. There is a capacitor under the heatsink on the powersupply. Its a 3300 uf cap. The top maybe a little swollen. I replaced this cap and my unit now works. Please only do this repair if your able to solder. You will need the proper tools to do this. And please be careful not get shocked, as the power supply can still have power in it when its not connected. I hope this helps anyone out there with this model.

32 Dead hard driv

I hate to tell you this but it sounds like the IDE interface is fried on the mother board. I am a computer tech and work on computers all day and when the IDE controler dies the drives will not spin up if they are attached to the mb. Same difference here with the tivo. Call tivo and they should replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by 89SupraT
    Hello everyone. I bought the same model with this problem. I have found the solution. There is a capacitor under the heatsink on the powersupply. Its a 3300 uf cap. The top maybe a little swollen. I replaced this cap and my unit now works. Please only do this repair if your able to solder. You will need the proper tools to do this. And please be careful not get shocked, as the power supply can still have power in it when its not connected. I hope this helps anyone out there with this model.
    This WORKS! I had the same problem. I changed out the capacitor and it booted up with out any problems. I thought the IDE controller was fried like one of the other post said. Thanks for the solution!