Thread: Hard Drive wont Power Up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Hard Drive wont Power Up

I've got a weird problem. I have an S2 and the hard drive will not power up when the IDE cable is attached. If I remove the IDE cable the hard drive will power up. If I reconnect the IDE cable while the hard drive is powered up I don't get a picture and nothing happens. I unplug the TiVo and power the TiVo back up and the hard drive will not power up. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Try swapping out IDE cables. Check all cable connections to make sure everything is seated properly. I would advise against connecting the IDE cable aftwer the drive is powered up. I'm not exactly sure what will happen but I've always been told that this is a bad thing to do.

One other possibility is that your power supply may be getting loaded down somehow and connecting the IDE cable is diverting power to ground, preventing the drive from spinning up. Start with the cable checks but don't connect or disconnect anything with power applied as bad things could happen.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Some cables can be inserted upside down too...
    Might be something to check out.

Shorting Out Cables

When plugging the IDE cable into the HD with power applied can cause a short to ground. This will cause the power supply to not load up/spin up the HD. Check all cables before powering up. Change out the HD and cable to see if you still get the same problem. This is called process of elimination. The hunt and hope you find the problem, Course 101.

Southdade
    Iím Miserable, Tired & Aggravated. Other Than That Iím Alive, Well & Kickin!

Thanks for the feedback. I have tried using both a different hard drive, and a new IDE cable. I get the same results. Any other suggestions?

Run a diagnostic on the drive in your PC to make sure it's not hosed.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I have a Standalone TiVo TCD140060. I bought it from a friend and they said "yea it works fine". I too had the issue where the HDD only spins up if the IDE cable was unplugged. I took a look @ the cap under the heatsink, sure enough it was "bubbled up". Luckily, I happened to have a 3300uF 25V cap sitting around, so I popped this bad boy in, and it works like a champ!

I am an electronics technician, have been soldering and troubleshooting various PC Boards for going on 6 years... If anyone needs this repair done for them, please do not hesitate to PM me and we can arrange something.