Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Drive wont Power Up

Worked for me. Replaced it with new and tivo works fine.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by 89SupraT
    Hello everyone. I bought the same model with this problem. I have found the solution. There is a capacitor under the heatsink on the powersupply. Its a 3300 uf cap. The top maybe a little swollen. I replaced this cap and my unit now works. Please only do this repair if your able to solder. You will need the proper tools to do this. And please be careful not get shocked, as the power supply can still have power in it when its not connected. I hope this helps anyone out there with this model.
    Has anyone tried this on an HD DTiVo? I have the same symptoms on one of my unmodified HR10-250 units and tried the obvious troubleshooting steps above but have not yet tried replacing the 3300 uf capacitor as there may be a different power supply on the HD models.

Unhappy

Where is the best place to get a 3300 uf capacitor?

You'll want to match up the cap voltage. do NOT go smaller in voltage.

radio shack might have them in stock or might be able to order them or if there is a TV or electronic repair shop around you can try them.

DDF

Quote Originally Posted by mpster
    Where is the best place to get a 3300 uf capacitor?
    I recommend Digikey.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I was gonng say Digikey.

But if I remember right they want a $25 order so you don'thave to pay shipping.
    And I think radio shack will order it so you only pay for the part.

nice if you only want one. If you wanted 50, yes I'd go Digikey.

Anice site to find ic's is findchips.com

DDF

Quote Originally Posted by DDF
    I was gonng say Digikey.

But if I remember right they want a $25 order so you don'thave to pay shipping.
    And I think radio shack will order it so you only pay for the part.

nice if you only want one. If you wanted 50, yes I'd go Digikey.

Anice site to find ic's is findchips.com

DDF
    Does Radio Shack still special order parts? I thought they'd dropped that part of their business.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Does Radio Shack still special order parts? I thought they'd dropped that part of their business.

PlainBill
    Good guestion. LOL It's been over i year sence i needed parts from radio shack. But the last time there they didn't have my part instock and said they could order it.

If a 3300uf cap at guessing a 12 to 16 volt cap isn't in radio shacks order book then i'd say no they won't.

guessing at 12 to 16 is there is+5 yellow wire and +12 volts red wire that a HardDrive uses. If i'm bassackwards please say so.

So PB ya might be right.

DDF

Unhappy

Thanks for the sites but I'm needing what looks like a
    TEAPO 3300uf 10v 105c
    a8 01/02.
    This is a bubbled cap in a Tivo Powersupply.Any ideas or help would be appriciated..

Sorry about title but its a pic of the capacitor. Tallest Middle greenone.

Any 3300 mfd, 10 V 105 C radial lead cap will work, there's nothing magic about Teapo (probably quite the contrary).

Digikey lists a Panasonic part that is a direct replacement, Digikey part # P5523-ND. The joker is it's only $.96 and they add a handling charge for orders under $20. You might want to order 10 or more (@$.57 each) and list them in the Buy&Sell forum.

PlainBill

Anyone tried the same thing on an HD DTiVo (HR10-250)? There are actually two 3300uF caps in its power supply under the heatsink. In my case, neither look "bubbled" on top but my symptoms seem to match others' (HDD won't spin up when connected to motherboard).

-jcs.

I have a DSR708 that has the same issue. See my post.

On my DSR708, it is one of the large green ones. Is that the same one you all found to be the culprit? I suppose its best to replace both.

But what is the best brand in the future that won't have this problem? I thought Panasonic were the best. Also where can I find one?

I have soldered before, so is this a possible self repair job?

Damn counterfeit caps strike again! I had 2 motherboards that I got repaired because of this. And my new MB is now all solid state caps, I wonder why

If someone needs someone to do this repair, this guy is great and repaired two of my computer motherboards.

Some pics and info about the bad capacitor debacle if someone wants the overview.
    DSR708 running 6.2 300 GB Seagate, networked, manually hacked

I have a Standalone TiVo TCD140060. I bought it from a friend and they said "yea it works fine". I too had the issue where the HDD only spins up if the IDE cable was unplugged. I took a look @ the cap under the heatsink, sure enough it was "bubbled up". Luckily, I happened to have a 3300uF 25V cap sitting around, so I popped this bad boy in, and it works like a champ!

I am an electronics technician, have been soldering and troubleshooting various PC Boards for going on 6 years... If anyone needs this repair done for them, please do not hesitate to PM me and we can arrange something.