Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TiVo tests pop-up-style ads anyone get it yet? (merged)

TiVo tests pop-up-style ads anyone get it yet?

TiVo pop-ups

Has anyone seen the pop-ups yet? I'm actually a little curious to see what they look like. I wonder if they still appear if you use the 30 second skip. I rarely use the ff button, since I usually just 30 second skip the commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmacd
    Has anyone seen the pop-ups yet?
    Looks like they were quite a hit at TCF.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=232067
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post2724391

Quote Originally Posted by johnmacd
    TiVo pop-ups

Has anyone seen the pop-ups yet? I'm actually a little curious to see what they look like. I wonder if they still appear if you use the 30 second skip. I rarely use the ff button, since I usually just 30 second skip the commercials.
    I haven't seen them yet personally but here they are. The first is the actual ad, for the movie Interpreter, the second is the transparent ad they replaced it with due to the bugs.

320x240 PNG's which are centered on the screen. Kind of annoying if you have a regular TV set as it covers a quarter of the screen, but less annoying than a full screen ad.
    Last edited by nydoofus; 03-29-2005 at 09:31 PM.

hmmm. I wonder if these are stored in mfs somewhere, like the showcases. could you have a nightly script that runs & clears that dir? wonder how these would work if the image to display does not exist? Is this an ok topic to discuss? I would think ok, since not stealing service or anything, but wonder. If not, please remove & tell me. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpenguin
    hmmm. I wonder if these are stored in mfs somewhere, like the showcases. could you have a nightly script that runs & clears that dir? wonder how these would work if the image to display does not exist? Is this an ok topic to discuss? I would think ok, since not stealing service or anything, but wonder. If not, please remove & tell me. thanks.
    I would think it depends on how anal you are about reading the Terms of Service.

12. Advertising and Promotions.
    The TiVo service is advertiser supported. The hard disk drive of your TiVo DVR contains reserved space in addition to the advertised recording capacity. TiVo reserves the right to send content (including advertising and promotional material) to such reserved portions of your TiVo DVR's hard disk drive as part of the TiVo service. In order to send such content, you agree that TiVo may tune your TiVo DVR to a particular channel at a particular time.
    One could argue that since Tivo claims to be "advertiser supported", removing or otherwise disabling the pop-ups would be a violation of the TOS.

All I can say is thank god I have an un-subbed S1. Living without guide data is a small price to pay to keep this junk off my TV.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpenguin
    It is perfectly fine to discuss that here. If I had a standalone tivo (which I am not terribly interested in owning one as I tend to prefer directivos) I would probably have posted a script to do just that by now.

In fact, if you look around here you can already find scripts and patches that disable the yellow star ads that have existed for a while.

Just so long as you are paying for the tivo and/or directv service, we really don't care at all what you do here.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 04-01-2005 at 12:39 AM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

ok, then hopefully I will get the ads soon so I can figure out how to disable them! didn't want to offend anyone here. didn't realize the yellow star was an ad. I would not doubt it that these will be disabled soon.

Its a message to all Tivo users to cut that phoneline.

Long live fixsub!
    Hughes HDVR2 Sleepered 120 hrs! Not sure how it works it just does.
    RCADVR40 hacked using lightiv guide, It works, sorta.

Yellow Stars don't bother me. In fact, sometimes I like them- like the new PSP one? The difference is that showcases don't bother you when you're in the middle of watching TV. Pull, not push.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn
    Its a message to all Tivo users to cut that phoneline.

Long live fixsub!
    uh, right. be sure to let us know when fixsub can produce valid spigotkeys for 6.x/7x...
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Uh,oh
    are you saying non dial in units will see these too.

Im guessing you are saying baner ads are a part of 6.2 and 7.1 and soon we will be forced to be running those software versions.

No....with standalone units, the tivo doesn't care about the phone status in all versions 5.x and up. All it cares about is whether the certificates it downloads during the phone connection are valid. Unless you can just arbitrarily generate valid certificates (extremely highly doubtful,) your SOL unless you patch tivoapp.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

"Tivo to Insert New Ads into Recordings."

Tivo to Insert New Ads into Recordings

Doesn't Tivo want to INCREASE their subscriptions / sales?
    Expensive hardware, expensive monthly fee, and now it seems like theres going to be a barrage of ads, with the popups, and now this.

Maybe its just me, but I not only want to keep the original ads in place, but I need the original ads, as I extract them and use them in a TV criticism class I'm currently in.

But this whole idea of replacing ads got me thinking...if Tivo knows exactly where theres a commercial break, and can replace those commercials with other video, how long before someone makes a script to replace commercials with like blank / black video, or better yet, somehow deletes commercials entirely on the Tivo with no extraction?

Edit: not entirely related to the tivo pop up ads, but close enough to jstify a topic merger I guess
    Last edited by mateom199; 04-05-2005 at 10:13 PM.

...if Tivo knows exactly where theres a commercial break, and can replace those commercials with other video,
    I don't believe that's what is happening based on what's been posted. I don't have either 6.2 or 7.1 so I don't have any firsthand experience with it but I believe the ads pop up whenever you fast forward the Tivo, even when in the midst of program material, not just commercial breaks. The Tivo senses when you go into FF mode to insert the pop-up ad and doesn't detect where the commercial breaks are.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!