Thread: t60 in reboot loop

Hybrid View

35 t60 in reboot loop

I have a t60 that never makes it past the "Welcome. Powering up.... few more seconds..." stuff. It was last working 2+ months ago, and I'm just now getting to working on it.

I think one of the drives is dead, so I'm trying to restore a backup image to a new drive and get it going again. I don't care about saving anything off the old drives, and I am 99% sure my backup image is good.

So, new drive, fresh image, it still just goes through the 2 initial screens on about a 3 minute cycle.

I am not seeing anything out the serial port. Trying with and without a null cable just in case... nothing. Do I need to hit return at a critical moment or something? What should my port settings be? 9600-N-8-1?

Anything special to try?

If your T60 has been hacked with 2.5Xtreme then you'll need to change the baud rate setting in your terminal program to 115200.

The reboot loop could be caused by any number of things. The first thing I'd check is the ribbon cable between the mainboard and the power supply. Pull the cable free at each end and clean the contacts thoroughly with a good pencil erasor. Flip the cable end for end and make sure it's fully inserted into each connector. A pair of needlenosed pliers works well for seating the cable without creasing it.

You should check any other cables to make sure they're fully seated as well. Check the fan and make sure it's plugged in and working and the drives are spinning up.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

All connectors are tight (cleaned the ribbon) and drive spins up.

I tried leaving the cmos battery out overnight as I read somewhere.

Reloaded the image to the drive just in case, and still no change.

Any other suggestions?

I'm not getting anything out the serial port either, so not sure whats up with that. This one had been prepped with the 9thtee nic install disk, which does the reflash procedure right? Would a software update change the flash back?

Thanks for any hints.

Just tried tivoflash again just for fun. No change...

Quote Originally Posted by pidhead
    All connectors are tight (cleaned the ribbon) and drive spins up.

I tried leaving the cmos battery out overnight as I read somewhere.

Reloaded the image to the drive just in case, and still no change.

Any other suggestions?

I'm not getting anything out the serial port either, so not sure whats up with that. This one had been prepped with the 9thtee nic install disk, which does the reflash procedure right? Would a software update change the flash back?

Thanks for any hints.
    Check your PM