Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does this allow me to do?

What does this allow me to do?

Hi All

Newbie to the hack scene and TiVo seen for that matter.

I purchased a prehacked unit purchased from Definitive | DVR. It came with the following:
    Here is a list of the hacks that will be installed:
    Enabling the USB ports for 10/100 networking with USB200M Linksys ethernet adapter.
    Enable telnet, ftp
    Setup of basic linux command. ls, ps, tar
    Install TivoWebPlus v1.0
    Install Locals Channel patch
    Install MFS_FTP for video extraction
    Install support binaries
    Backup tivoapp
    Patch tivoapp to disable video encryption

Is there anything out of the ordinary here?

What does all this good stuff allow me to do?

What does Local Channel Patch allow me to do?

If you would would like-you can PM me or contact me at tase2@comcast.net

Thanks
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by tase2
    Hi All

Newbie to the hack scene and TiVo seen for that matter.

I purchased a prehacked unit purchased from Definitive | DVR. It came with the following:
    Install MFS_FTP for video extraction
    Whoops, now that's not right.

You should probably make a backup of the drive and send it to Riley ASAP.

I wonder if Riley's seen this.

Code:
    Installation of Modifications

Install, Test Support of all modifications.

Enabling the USB ports for 10/100 networking for use with USB200M Linksys ethernet adapter.
    | Enable telnet, ftp | Setup of basic linux commnad. ls, ps, tar | Install 
    TivoWebPlus v1.0 | Install Locals Channel patch | Install MFS_FTP for video 
    extraction | Install support binaries | Patch tivoapp to disable video 
    encryption | TivoWebPlus | Disable Phoneline Requirement

Price: $79.00               

Copyright 2004 Definitive DVR

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 02-02-2005 at 10:03 AM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    I wonder if Riley's seen this.
    Last time I saw his auctions, he claimed that he was only shipping "detailed instructions" on how to install hacks. But all it takes is one guy to come forward with evidence of a copyright violation.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    Last time I saw his auctions, he claimed that he was only shipping "detailed instructions" on how to install hacks. But all it takes is one guy to come forward with evidence of a copyright violation.
    http://www.definitivedvr.com/index.html

This joker is an authorized ptvupgrade affiliate. Since ptvupgrade is allowed to distribute the hacks he may be in more of a Grey area than it first appears. Sounds like this may be a loophole that Riley has to address.

Mark all of your questions should be directed to the person you bought the hacks from. You're paying for his support. 100% of the hacks you paid for are available for free on this board. The company either violated or circumvented copyright regulations. You didn't pay for software but for support. Feel free to call or E-Mail the company with all your questions. If you don't get sufficient help file a credit card dispute.
    Last edited by newbie; 02-02-2005 at 10:15 AM.

Hi Everybody

I did not realize that this was such a bad bad thing. I really didn't. I know that eBay isn't the law, but as a general rule they ban all auctions that are illegal. Therefore I assumed it must be OK. Besides there had been so many sold already with 100% satisfation rating, that I also assumed if it was not OK somebody in the TiVo world would put an end to it. Lastly they are sponsored by PTV Upgrade, which also sponsors this site. I clearly do not want to get them into any trouble,(I would feel like a rat)as the service was very good and nobody told me it was ilegal since there are books and websites devoted to hacking. I realize ignorance is no excuse, but I really and totally beleived that I was partaking in a ligitimate transaction. Clearly I was mistaken.

Also there is/was no intention on my part to pirate anything or do anything illegal. I just wanted to know what cool things the preinstalled hacks would allow me to do. Yes in hindsight, I should have waited and done it myself, but being lazy and having a little extra Christmas money, I thought I would let someone else do the work. I Totally apologize for any wrongdoing on my part and would hope you allow me to stay and help me with any future questions I might have. I have purchased the Tivo for Dummies and Hacking the TiVo, 2nd Edition by William von Hagen to learn some stuff for myself, but I guess the damage is done with my initial purchase of the HR10-250.

Thanks for your patience and understanding
    Mark

Besides there had been so many sold already with 100% satisfation rating, that I also assumed if it was not OK somebody in the TiVo world would put an end to it. Lastly they are sponsored by PTV Upgrade, which also sponsors this site. I clearly do not want to get them into any trouble,(I would feel like a rat)as the service was very good and nobody told me it was ilegal since there are books and websites devoted to hacking. I realize ignorance is no excuse, but I really and totally beleived that I was partaking in a ligitimate transaction. Clearly I was mistaken.
    It's not your fault. You were the victim of a scam artist. There are a few legitimate businesses that have permission to distribute some of the hacks on that unit. But this guy isn't one of them. IIRC, he's already had other eBay accounts canceled for it.

"Definitive DVR" is not selling authentic PTVupgrade products, and therefore does not have the right to sell killhdinitrd (if they are doing so). Regardless, mfs_ftp is not freely distributable software.

I strongly suggest leaving negative feedback and reporting the auction to eBay as a counterfeit item. At the very least, you should forward copies of all correspondence and a backup image of the drive to Riley for analysis.

OK this might sound like an even dumber question than my others, but who is Riley?

Thanks
    Mark

OK this might sound like an even dumber question than my others, but who is Riley?
    rc3105. Send him a PM when you get a chance and he'll get things straightened out.

Thanks
    Mark
    Riley goes by rc3105 on this board. He is the author of mfs_ftp and is the person who is responsible for taking care of copyright issues for the hdintrid and RID hacks. He also arranged the fund raising "bounty" that allowed the hacks to be made public. His role, if any, in creating the hacks is unknown.

ADH--PTVUpgrade is allowed to distribute hdintrid and RID hacks. I have no idea if they are allowed to distribute through affiliates or only via their own website. It's possible the affiliate arrangement allows them to use PTVupgrade tools to perform their upgrades. Riley is probably the only one to know if the company is violating the copyright or merely subverting the intent.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie
    ADH--PTVUpgrade is allowed to distribute hdintrid and RID hacks. I have no idea if they are allowed to distribute through affiliates or only via their own website. It's possible the affiliate arrangement allows them to use PTVupgrade tools to perform their upgrades. Riley is probably the only one to know if the company is violating the copyright or merely subverting the intent.
    I am not aware of any arrangement in which PTVupgrade can redistribute uma6fix (nor do they appear to have any interest in it).

Riley has indicated in the past that PTVupgrade "affiliates" may only distribute killhdinitrd as part of an actual PTVupgrade product. They do not have carte blanche to make their own illegal upgrade suites based on killhdinitrd.

Whoops, now that's not right.
    You should probably make a backup of the drive and send it to Riley ASAP
    What exactly do I need to send to Riley? And out of curiousity why do I need to send it to him?

I admit I messed up bad, but the unit has been working OK. Although I just received the USB200M Linksys ethernet adapter today and have not connected it yet. What should I be looking out for.

Thanks
    Mark

What exactly do I need to send to Riley? And out of curiousity why do I need to send it to him?
    What you purchased was stolen property. Best bet is to help Riley get the evidence he needs to make it stop.

You should make a backup of the drive ASAP with mfstools, and send that along.

make sure to send it in a small cheap hard drive because once u send it kiss the hd good bye.