Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: DirecTV Tivo Software Update 6.2 - SUPPORT and DISCUSSION

DirecTV Tivo Software Update 6.2 - SUPPORT and DISCUSSION

DirecTV is officially releasing the new software.

I can't believe all they added was folder support, still no MRV.

Ugh

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr_upgrade.html
    Oh No - Mr Bill!!!

1 HDVR2 w/ 120 gig drive (hacked a long time ago, sleeper tivoscripts v1.02, running v4.x w/ HMO (Thanks Haderk!) - suits my purposes well.)

1 DSR7000 w/ 120 gig drive - Currently 3.1.1b. Want to move it to HMO v4.0 WITHOUT sleeper (still testing killhdinit and other variants).

2 DVR39s - just to play with and break stuff. Also just using one for MRV off the other tivos!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbillpsu00
    DirecTV is officially releasing the new software.

Ugh

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr_upgrade.html
    This is -precisely- what those of us who have been here awhile predicted. DirecTV is adamantly opposed to MRV for the simple reasons outlined a billion times before. Most notably, its content-providers (e.g. HBO) are simply not going to permit DirecTV to allow direct digital copies of the provided shows. As stated before, unlike SA Tivos, these copies are not 'degraded' in any way, and so there could be serious pirating issues.

Also, not really worth a new thread, seeing as there is already at least one 6.2 thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbillpsu00
    I wouldn't say that...at least not for us anyways, remember that we get special privileges here.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

No HMO either...

How noticeable is the guide speed?

Anyone have some good input on how fast the guide difference is? There is some hearsay and speculation, but is it significantly faster? I was planning to upgrade my DVR40 to 4.01 soon, but perhaps I can wait a couple of days (weeks) and grab the slices.

Also, anyone would care to guess if I force a call on 4.01 (gasp!) after the 6.2 is generally available, would it attempt to download it or ignore?

Erhan

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    I wouldn't say that...at least not for us anyways, remember that we get special privileges here.
    Has the HMO/MRV patch location for 6.2 been found? I don't remember seeing them posted.
    I'd rather be a killer than a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Dog
    Has the HMO/MRV patch location for 6.2 been found? I don't remember seeing them posted.
    I think perhaps AlphaWolf was referring to the fact that, thanks to the hacks available on this board, this community already has all the abilities of MRV despite the fact that its not part of the DirecTivo software, per se.

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    I think perhaps AlphaWolf was referring to the fact that, thanks to the hacks available on this board, this community already has all the abilities of MRV despite the fact that its not part of the DirecTivo software, per se.
    Well, not exactly. It is very much possible that the 6.2 software has MRV in it only it never gets activated. That is what is going on with 6.1 IIRC anyways. There may or may not be a possibility of a "superpatch" for 6.2, so we may or may not see it, thus you can't rule out anything at this point.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    Well, not exactly. It is very much possible that the 6.2 software has MRV in it only it never gets activated. That is what is going on with 6.1 IIRC anyways. There may or may not be a possibility of a "superpatch" for 6.2, so we may or may not see it, thus you can't rule out anything at this point.
    We'll just have to wait until someone has taken the upgrade and as a 6.2 image to play with.

And that brings up another point. Presumably the updates will be distributed via satellite, and activated via the daily phone call. I've been researching pulling the slices off a hard drive; alldeadhomiez indicates most of them are easy, but the SwSystem slice is 'non-trivial'. Is there any hope of intercepting them as they are downloaded? (Yeah, I know, not very likely). Alternatively, is there any way recreating the SwSystem slice in any kind of reasonable manner?

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Is there any hope of intercepting them as they are downloaded?
    Slices downloaded during the daily call are stored in /var/packages, loaded into the database, then deleted. There is a kernel module at AO that moves them to /tmp so that you can capture them.

Slices downloaded during the SDD over the sat are also spooled to /var, but from what I can tell they are not in the usual slice format.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    Slices downloaded during the daily call are stored in /var/packages, loaded into the database, then deleted. There is a kernel module at AO that moves them to /tmp so that you can capture them.
    I had plenty of time to cp the 7.1a slices after they were downloaded and before deletion. I simply forced the connection when I was ready with a telnet 'cp -R' command ready and also transferred them via ftp as a backup.

This, of course, will only work if you 'sign-up' and don't connect unless you're ready.

On second thought, dtivo owners will have problems if the updates come via satellite, but it works fine for SA owners.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

So does the KillHDIntrid hack work on this upgrade? Also would hacks for extraction (tytools) work, or should someone like me, a novice hacker at best, wait until some of the guru's have had time to look at this and develop the proper way to hack the system?

Quote Originally Posted by AuburnCougar
    So does the KillHDIntrid hack work on this upgrade? Also would hacks for extraction (tytools) work, or should someone like me, a novice hacker at best, wait until some of the guru's have had time to look at this and develop the proper way to hack the system?
    Right now I'm only guessing, but the best guess would be that killhdinitrd will NOT work on this software; it will be necessary to monte into a killinitrd 6.2 kernel (this is trivial). Virtually all hacks will have to be rewritten to work with the new software. This is not as difficult as creating the hacks in the first place, but will not be an overnight operation.

My best advice: If you want to get folders and locals at 72.5, and don't care about extraction, caller id, etc, let your TiVo take the upgrade. If you MUST have extraction, block the upgrade until the hacks you need are released, and contribute to any bounties that are proposed.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I currently have 3-HDVR2s with 4.0 (2 sleepered, 1-killintrd). I don't have a phone lince connected and have my connection type set to phone in the setting menu and I have fakecall40.tcl running. This way I won't get any software updates and no nag screens.

In the past the software updates have come through the phone line, so I wouldn't recieve them and my hacks stay in place. But this one is supposed to come through the Satellite, will it overwrite my system? My bootpage says "updatesoftware=false"

TIA!