Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: DirecTV Tivo Software Update 6.2 - SUPPORT and DISCUSSION

Quote Originally Posted by dot19408
    After I killhdinit'd the kernel I was able to copy the latest mfs_tools to the drive, but after doing so, I can not copy any other files to the drive.

I tried backing up the USB drivers in order to upgrade them and I got this:

Suse:/tivo/lib/modules # mkdir backup
    mkdir: cannot create directory `backup': No space left on device

Might I have done something wrong?
    if you have installed tivotools or busybox more than once, or added any files to their directories, there is a good chance you have filled the drive with files you cannot see.

you can remedy this by running

e2fsck -y /dev/hdax
    where x is your boot partition. to find your boot partition use

bootpage -p /dev/hda

You guys need to quit telling people to do that at the drop of a hat all the time unless you are prepared to have a disaster on your hands. If you e2fsck while the rootfs is in read/write mode, that is just asking to have all hell break loose.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    You guys need to quit telling people to do that at the drop of a hat all the time unless you are prepared to have a disaster on your hands. If you e2fsck while the rootfs is in read/write mode, that is just asking to have all hell break loose.
    Absolutely! Start with some analysis, rather than assuming some "fix" will work.

Back the error at hand, let's see some 'df -h' output ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ThurstonX
    Absolutely! Start with some analysis, rather than assuming some "fix" will work.

Back the error at hand, let's see some 'df -h' output ;-)
    df -h showed /tivo with about 154MB total and 154MB used...

I've started clearing all of /var/hack and starting over.
    I forgot I had copied tivoapp as a backup, it seems to take up 21MB when I copied it...

Thanks, we'll see how it goes from here.

dot19408

I forgot I had copied tivoapp as a backup, it seems to take up 21MB when I copied it...

dot19408
    /var is a different partition than / so clearing stuff out of /var/hack isn't going to free any space up on /.

tk

dot19408
    Great. Just remember that '/' & '/var' are on different partitions (e.g., /dev/hda4 & /dev/hda9, respectively). tivoapp lives in '/tvbin', so on the root file system. Point being, if your doing this with the drive mounted in a PC, you will need to mount one file system, clean it up, then unmount (umount) it, mount the other and clean that one up. Sounds like you're using /tivo as a mount point, but I could be wrong. If your not using it as a mount point when booting from a CD or floppy, what *is* /tivo?

Where to look for 6.2 slices

What partition do I need to mount, and what directories do I need to look in, to see if I have 6.2 slices downloaded from the satellite? If this is in the MFS partition(s), as I suspect, how do I mount these partitions? I have had no success in mounting these in the past. I know I am looking for SwSystem, and SwModules, but I don't know if these are directories or files. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by sam_milton
    What partition do I need to mount, and what directories do I need to look in, to see if I have 6.2 slices downloaded from the satellite? If this is in the MFS partition(s), as I suspect, how do I mount these partitions? I have had no success in mounting these in the past. I know I am looking for SwSystem, and SwModules, but I don't know if these are directories or files. Help?
    I assume you can telnet in right now..

In this thread...

You will see what is ACTIVE and what is there. Then you just need to make another one active.. The basic instructions are here..

finding 6.2 slices

No, I am not telnetting to the tivo, I haven't done any of the hacks yet. I am waiting to upgrade to 6.2 before I install them. I have the drive installed in a computer which is booted to the MFStools CD. I have tried the "echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh" command and I get "sh: tivosh: command not found". Obviously I do not understand something important here. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_milton
    No, I am not telnetting to the tivo, I haven't done any of the hacks yet. I am waiting to upgrade to 6.2 before I install them. I have the drive installed in a computer which is booted to the MFStools CD. I have tried the "echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh" command and I get "sh: tivosh: command not found". Obviously I do not understand something important here. Sorry.
    The slices are in the mfs database. You can't get there while the drive is in a pc; and you can't upgrade to 6.2 unless the drive is in the TiVo.

Step 1: Hack the drive at whatever software version you have (probably 3.1.1e)

Step 2: Verify you have the slices with
    Code:
     echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh
    Step 3: Modify installSw.itcl, and run it.

Step 4: Hack the new software; reboot.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

6.2 steps to killhdinit?

I upgraded with 62small image. That part was easy.

Now I would like to apply 3.1.5 with killhdinitrd. After I do that,
    the Tivo HDRV2 just sits there:

1. dd to of=/dev/hda3 and hda6
    2. bootpage -p /dev/hdXX this returns 4
    3. So I assume I need to set the root to be /dev/hda4 and -B 3 and -A 6 right?
    bootpage -P "root=dev/hda4 etc...." -C /dev/hdXX
    bootpage -B 3 -C /dev/hdXX
    bootpage -A 6 -C /dev/hdXX

It never boots, just sits there... It I don't killhdinitrd, then /var/hack keeps
    disappearing... Help!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billnbell
    1. dd to of=/dev/hda3 and hda6
    2. bootpage -p /dev/hdXX this returns 4
    3. So I assume I need to set the root to be /dev/hda4 and -B 3 and -A 6 right?
    bootpage -P "root=dev/hda4 etc...." -C /dev/hdXX
    bootpage -B 3 -C /dev/hdXX
    bootpage -A 6 -C /dev/hdXX
    Bill
    Ok, I am by no means an expert, but I have been successfull with loading 6.2 twice so here I go.. (my confidence will die in a few days)..

1. why did you dd to both partitions? If your root is 4 and that is where it is booting, you only need to apply the kernel to 3.

3. I have never done anything more that set the bootpage with what I want, it already had the right root, I just need to add the extra stuff.

After that, done, I have never done the -B, or -A commands. Well, becides the crossing of fingers and sweating when it sits on the "almost there" screen for what seems an eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by ThurstonX
    Great. Just remember that '/' & '/var' are on different partitions (e.g., /dev/hda4 & /dev/hda9, respectively). tivoapp lives in '/tvbin', so on the root file system. Point being, if your doing this with the drive mounted in a PC, you will need to mount one file system, clean it up, then unmount (umount) it, mount the other and clean that one up. Sounds like you're using /tivo as a mount point, but I could be wrong. If your not using it as a mount point when booting from a CD or floppy, what *is* /tivo?
    AHHH...

That explains why none of my installed programs worked....

I never mounted hdx9 from the Tivo drive.

That makes sence now. I know I've read that before. I guess I got so excited that KillHDinitrd worked, I forgot about it.

yes /tivo is my mount piont, I really wish Linux worked more like windoze, only because my mind has been molded to the widoze way of thinking...

I've caught myself typing 'ls' in the command prompt at work
    I also sit staring at the white on black text wishing the EXE files were green and the folders were blue.....

Thanks again,
    dot19408
    Last edited by dot19408; 05-06-2005 at 08:54 AM.

Is there a 7.1 or 7.1a image in the wild?

My brother in laws SA Tivo has stopped getting guide data.

I sleeper'ed it about a year ago with 4.0.1...

Is there a 7.1/7.1a image available?
    Hopefuly along the lines of AlphaWolf's 62small.mfs...

Thanks,
    dot19408

My brother in laws SA Tivo has stopped getting guide data.

I sleeper'ed it about a year ago with 4.0.1...

Is there a 7.1/7.1a image available?
    Hopefuly along the lines of AlphaWolf's 62small.mfs...

Thanks,
    dot19408
    Why ask in the 6.2 thread?

The solution is obvious. Remove the two partition monte installed by TiVoScripts (instructions) , then upgrade to 7.1. The odds are it's already downloaded the upgrade; if not, forcing a call will get the slices. If you have 'upgradesoftware=false' in the boot parameters, you can even rehack without pulling the drive.

Mods, move this to the 7.1 support thread.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.