Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: DirecTV Tivo Software Update 6.2 - SUPPORT and DISCUSSION

another issue .. someone else posted in this thread but don't see the solutions that someone was referrring to in another thread...

neither restart or reboot will reboot the system programatically.. I believe this probably is due to the fact that killing tcl scripts with mfs open no longer cause a reboot or something..

if you run both of them the screen goes blank aqnd you still can telnet to the box and if you ps -x this is all that is running

also I did the fix recommended for index.itcl as follows but now in tivoweb.log I get the following error

folders
    index
    errNmNameNotFound object not found (errNmNameNotFound)

while executing
    "mfs find $guideindexdir/ChannelTable"
    ("uplevel" body line 2)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel $body"
    invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
    (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {
    set channeltablefsid [lindex [mfs find $guideindexdir/ChannelTable] 0]
    set channeltabledata [mfs get $channeltablefsid]
    }"
    (procedure "init_channelindex" line 92)
    invoked from within
    "init_channelindex"
    (file "/var/local/tivoweb-tcl/modules/index.itcl" line 685)
    invoked from within
    "source $module "
    info
    lj_utils

here is the relevent section of my index.itcl

# puts "Adding $fsid to sp cache"
    }
    }
    }
    }
    set cache_sp_moddate $spmoddate
    }

if {$version >= 6} {
    set guideindexdir "/GuideIndexV"
    } elseif {$version >= 3} {
    set guideindexdir "/GuideIndexV2"
    } else {
    set guideindexdir "/GuideIndex"
    }

# if {$::version >= 3} {
    # set guideindexdir "/GuideIndexV2"
    # } else {
    # set guideindexdir "/GuideIndex"
    # }

this is from tivowebplus 1.1pre

Quote Originally Posted by lgkahn

here is the relevent section of my index.itcl

# puts "Adding $fsid to sp cache"
    }
    }
    }
    }
    set cache_sp_moddate $spmoddate
    }

if {$version >= 6} {
    set guideindexdir "/GuideIndexV"
    } else {
    }

# if {$::version >= 3} {
    # set guideindexdir "/GuideIndexV2"
    # } else {
    # set guideindexdir "/GuideIndex"
    # }

this is from tivowebplus 1.1pre
    How it should be:

Code:
    if {$version >= 6} {
       set guideindexdir "/GuideIndexV3"
    } else {
    }

same error..
    ie

favicon
    folders
    index
    errNmNameNotFound object not found (errNmNameNotFound)

while executing
    "mfs find $guideindexdir/ChannelTable"
    ("uplevel" body line 2)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel $body"
    invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
    (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {
    set channeltablefsid [lindex [mfs find $guideindexdir/ChannelTable] 0]
    set channeltabledata [mfs get $channeltablefsid]
    }"
    (procedure "init_channelindex" line 92)
    invoked from within
    "init_channelindex"
    (file "/var/local/tivoweb-tcl/modules/index.itcl" line 685)
    invoked from within
    "source $module "
    info
    lj_utils
    logos
    logs
    mail
    manrec
    mfsbrowser

I'm beginning to think my version if index.itcl is not stock and has been modified because the line numbers don't jive...

can someone post their full file thanks...

here is mine

I just looked at yours and it still says GuideIndexV

It MUST say GuideIndexV3
    Last edited by dewalt; 04-05-2005 at 05:13 PM.

yep fixed it thanks...

down to 3 issues

1. no way to reboot pregramatically

2. newtext2osd writes output twice and is not clearing message correctly

3. dial out even though setup via phone was not working.. when I checked the logs it was because it was trying network dialout not phone...
    (is this because debug mode is enabled)... once I opened up the ips through firewall to this box - when you dialout via phone it does network dialout and succeeds....

should I block the ip again.. if I want to be able to order ppv with remote what do I need to do? ??? leave dialout enabled via network or will it use phone??? or turn of debug???? anyone fooled with this?

It will use the network if DEBUG_BOARD is set to true. Theres really no need to block the tivo from calling home. If you want to order PPV with the remote it has to call home (either over network or dialing)

Just to recap what I've read in several 6.2 threads:

I verified that I have download 6.2 via the satellite and I've moded the install script to include the $name (which I know may not be necessary because I've downloaded the slices "correctly" from the sat) and commented out the reboot. I have killhdinitrd and I've run it on a vigin 3.1.5 kernal. I'm also aware that for networking to work I have to make two changes (rename dhclient and rename netfilter-enable). I really want to do this in place and not pull the drive so I'm trying to be careful.

I currently have a sleeper iso hacked drive (I know) with some additional hacks I added by hand and I've read the thread about updating a sleeper drive to killhdinitrd. However... that is assuming the drive has been pulled (it says to replace both kernals on the drive) Here's my questions:

I understand that there are multiple partitions so that you can do an update and not kill the existing os. And it seems sleeper screws with that a bit so it's harder to tell what hdx you are actually using... but when I run the install is there some way to know where to put the hacked kernal? The discussion thread also says that you need to "copy over your hacks". Does that mean just copy over the .author file? Do I have to move my /var/hacks directory somewhere else? Lastly, the discussion thread say I need to "update my network driver". Where do I put that?

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsbwc34
    I understand that there are multiple partitions so that you can do an update and not kill the existing os. And it seems sleeper screws with that a bit so it's harder to tell what hdx you are actually using... but when I run the install is there some way to know where to put the hacked kernal? The discussion thread also says that you need to "copy over your hacks". Does that mean just copy over the .author file? Do I have to move my /var/hacks directory somewhere else? Lastly, the discussion thread say I need to "update my network driver". Where do I put that?
    Why are we seeing so many of these Sleeper ISO support questions lately? This clearly does not belong in the 6.2 thread.

If you want to remove the broken BASH_ENV setup, see the TivoScripts thread for pointers to appropriate discussions. If not, you're on your own, because the Sleeper configuration is not supported in any way, shape, or form outside the sleeper and unsleeper threads.

If you don't know where your hacks are on the disk, you need to learn... fast. Keep reading and searching.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    Why are we seeing so many of these Sleeper ISO support questions lately? This clearly does not belong in the 6.2 thread.

If you want to remove the broken BASH_ENV setup, see the TivoScripts thread for pointers to appropriate discussions. If not, you're on your own, because the Sleeper configuration is not supported in any way, shape, or form outside the sleeper and unsleeper threads.

If you don't know where your hacks are on the disk, you need to learn... fast. Keep reading and searching.
    Thanks for the reply. I want to update to 6.2, and was trying to comment on the other 6.2 threads steps but I see your point. The question about finding where to put the new kernal probably belongs elsewhere.

Just to clarify, I do know where my .author file and hacks are (and have moded it to add tivowebplus and ms_ftp), I just wanted to know what it meant to "copy your hacks over" per the 6.2 discussion thread (thus why I asked it here) I guess how tivo uses the different partitions (and what get's removed/updated with an updgrade) is still confusing to me.

I knew I'd get blasted... seems no matter how much you try and read you always need to read more :-) Word to the wise, NEVER mention Sleeper...

Thanks for the reply. I want to update to 6.2, and was trying to comment on the other 6.2 threads steps but I see your point. The question about finding where to put the new kernal probably belongs elsewhere.

Just to clarify, I do know where my .author file and hacks are (and have moded it to add tivowebplus and ms_ftp), I just wanted to know what it meant to "copy your hacks over" per the 6.2 discussion thread (thus why I asked it here) I guess how tivo uses the different partitions (and what get's removed/updated with an updgrade) is still confusing to me.

I knew I'd get blasted... seems no matter how much you try and read you always need to read more :-) Word to the wise, NEVER mention Sleeper...
    Good advice; especially since there are at least three posts on converting a drive hacked with TiVoScripts to killhdinitrd. At least one of them gives directions for doing it while the drive is in the TiVo.

First point: A TiVo uses two partition sets 2-3-4 and 5-6-7. Got that?

Second point: Partitions 2 and 5 are empty, so we usually ignore them. Got that?

Third point: Only one partition set is active at a time. The other partition set is called the alternate partition set. Got that?

Fourth point: Bootpage -b will report the active boot (kernel) partition. Bootpage -p will report the boot parameters, including the root partition. Got that?

Fifth point: A software upgrade functions by loading the new kernel and the new root file system into the alternate partition set. Everything which was on the alternate partition set is wiped, the slices contain the complete software package. Got that?

Last point: After the new software is loaded, the boot and root partitions are flipped to point to the new active partition set, and the system rebooted. Got that? Great! Now you know how a software upgrade works.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    ...Got that? ....
    Got it...thanks for the detailed description of the update process. So I'm guessing my /var/hacks directory needs to be moved over the the active partition after the update.
    Last edited by hoopsbwc34; 04-06-2005 at 10:43 PM.

Got it...thanks for the detailed description of the update process. So I'm guessing my /var/hacks directory needs to be moved over the the active partition after the update.
    There are several ways to handle this and each has it's problems and strong points. I have a directory in /var called hackstuff. It was created when I hacked the drive, but it's only a storage area - everything is run from /tivotools on the root directory. When I am about to do an upgrade, I make sure /var/hackstuff is up to date, then run installSw.itcl and install the hacks on the new partition set. I've never had /var wiped, but if it happens, the hacks will still be running; so I can recreate /var/hackstuff without pulling the drive.

Others keep the hacks in a tarball that is extracted, some create a special partition; this works for me.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    The tserver in this package doesn't require a NowShowing.tcl and works fine on 7.1. I suspect it will work fine on 6.2 as well.

If you comment out the "event" commands in mfs_ftp.tcl, insertion seems to work on 7.1. It might be that the Now Playing list in the tivo won't immediately see insertions without the event commands. Or maybe something worse ... YMMV.

Would it be possible for your to post your mfs_ftp.tcl file? I've been very unsuccessful in finding the "event" values to comment out.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by woffordk
    Would it be possible for your to post your mfs_ftp.tcl file?
    no, read the terms of the license

Quote Originally Posted by woffordk
    I've been very unsuccessful in finding the "event" values to comment out.
    try using the search command (in whatever text editor you're using) to look for occurences of the word "event"

if you're really that stuck, try asking for the line numbers of the occurences within the file

*am amazed nobody has posted a p1-3.tcl file to subst in a null function for the event command under 6.x+. this is a hobby, not a consumer grade device with 24/7 tech support...

I didnt think that route would work reily becuase it has to load mfs_ftp first and then replace the functions when it load px.tcl... wouldn't you get an error trying to load the functions with the events... or do they load but not run... if so then yes it would work fine...