Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4.0.1b killhdinitrd rebooting problem

and here's the script I use, in /init named 012_setdssapp.init

Code:
    currentset=`ls -al /tvbin/dssapp | awk '{print $11}' | awk -F\. '{print $2}'`

bord="uma4"
    if lsmod | grep -q uma6; then
       bord="uma6"
    fi

if [ ! "$bord" = "$currentset" ]; then    
       echo Setting dssapp for $bord hardware
       mount -n -o remount,rw /
       rm /tvbin/dssapp
       ln -s /tvbin/dssapp.$bord /tvbin/dssapp
       mount -n -o remount,ro /
    fi
    For this to work, the original dssapp must be renamed to dssapp.uma4, then the dssapp that comes with the uma6 upgrade is named (aptly) dssapp.uma6.

Doc

There's no place like ~

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind
    That's what I said....DVR2 = not-RID. I guess I thought she was using software version 4.0.1b.

Is it possible to use the same image on a RID and non-RID unit? I thought for some reason there was a problem with dssapp...

ew
    You can use ANY stock 4.0.1b image on an HDVR2. Unless you do some special tricks, you cannot use a "4.x on RID" image on an HDVR2 - you're right, the dssapp is a problem. A 3.1.1b or later image can be used on both RID and non-RID systems.

Review what she did: Sucessfully restored and hacked (using the 4.x on RID guide) a 4.0.1b image to work on an SD-DVR40. (Conclusion -the image is good and she knows what she is doing).

Restored an hacked the same 4.01b image for use on an HDVR2 (and did NOT use the 4.x on RID guide). The failure did not match the "wrong dssapp symptoms".

Tried the original HDVR2 drive running 3.1.1?, it also did not work.

Restored an hacked the same 4.01b image for use on a different HDVR2 using the same process. This one worked perfectly.

Conclusion - Smart lady; hardware failure.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 02-18-2005 at 07:20 PM.
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    The failure did not match the "wrong dssapp symptoms".
    That's the part that got me. I saw she had problems acquiring sat info. I've never seen the actual problem as I'm still running 3.1.1e and I didn't know the wrong dssapp symptoms.

ew

Quote Originally Posted by DocTauri
    currentset=`ls -al /tvbin/dssapp | awk '{print $11}' | awk -F\. '{print $2}'`
    BTW: AW's AIO package with busybox includes readlink.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    BTW: AW's AIO package with busybox includes readlink.
    Didn't even notice, thanks!

There's no place like ~

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Conclusion - Smart lady; hardware failure.
    PlainBill
    You are far too kind - thanks PlainBill!!

BTW all of my linux knowledge and TiVo hacking knowledge was gained as a result of reading the posts on this board (and reading a couple of books) - and following the advice of folks like PlainBill and ADH. And it has caused me to continue to pursue my interest in learning Linux.

If I can get on a soap box for a second (this has nothing to do with those that have replied to this thread at all - thank you to everyone)...

In general I have heard far too many complaints of people saying that there is way too much to read and that they don't come up with anything when they search - WRONG.... It takes a dedicated and open minded person to read through everything and discern what is appropriate (and not) for what you want to accomplish. You are learning REGARDLESS!! I am so happy that I stumbled across DDB and had the desire to hack my Tivo a year ago!

In my case, I have a DVR40 (which I pass many thanks for those who have solved the RID video problems and the kernel signature problems) running 4.x, and 3 HDVR2's in transitition from 4.x with lba24 kernels to lba48 kernels (I'm gambling a bit as most of my HDVR2's have 160gig drives w/ 24 kernels - I'm only gamblining one more day until I finish transitioning them. And one of the HDVR2's is great boat anchor as has been discovered in this thread - quick funny story, DirecTV sent out a technician to repair / replace... when they got here they said 'oh no we don't carry DirecTivo's on the truck, DirecTV has to send it out to you' - too funny considering that the DTV technician that sent him out here said that he would have it on the truck and that it had to be replaced anyway!! - can you say dog chasing his tail? I want that technician job... coming to someone's house, doing absolutely nothing and getting paid for it!! thanks to big company "procedures" - rofl

I'm really looking forward to learning about what has been done to hack the Pioneer 810H which thus far only pops up in my Now Playing list but hasn't been hacked (good to see good old TCP broadcasts work regardless of association between Tivo peers!). I'm looking forward to learning about 5.x releases.

Thanks again to all here - you have really done a great thing for this community!!

--Steph
    Last edited by Stephanie; 02-20-2005 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind
    That's the part that got me. I saw she had problems acquiring sat info. I've never seen the actual problem as I'm still running 3.1.1e and I didn't know the wrong dssapp symptoms.

ew
    The dssapp problem shows up as a black screen with sound when watching live TV.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Lots of sound - no picture, verified that one first hand.
    I was curious what would happen with the modded dssapp on the hdvr2 and experienced this exactly.