Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need an easy to follow tutorial. I will pay!

Need an easy to follow tutorial. I will pay!

I need a guide or a program made that will make hacking my tivo easy. I need to get my tivo networked, I am using a (usb100m) linksys wired usb (1.0) ethernet adapter. Also, I want all the cool hacks I read about such as tivo web and I want to be able to get my files off tivo using tytools or whatever the program is called. I would like to add support for a usb200m ethernet adapter so I can upgrade to usb 2.0. I really want to do this hack the right way, read and read and read and read..., but I don't have the time. Please help me. I can pay you some money via paypal, I don't have a lot but I think I can come up with 20 or 30 dollars, provided the tutorial works.

I would like to have as many hacks as I can and I would like to know how to use them.

By the way my tivo is a sd-dvr40 (hughes) I got if from directv

Thanks,
    Brandon Nichols

Quote Originally Posted by brandon.nichols
    I need a guide or a program made that will make hacking my tivo easy. I need to get my tivo networked ... I want all the cool hacks I read about ... I want to be able to get my files off tivo ... upgrade to usb 2.0.

I really want to ... read and read and read and read ... but I don't have the time. I think I can come up with 20 or 30 dollars, provided the tutorial works.
    I think the recent snobbery on this forum is humanity at its lowest, but there are times, reading stuff like this, I can almost empathize with the @ssh0les who run the place.

Nevertheless.

There is an existing guide that is really quite well done (thanks mostly to Riley, who only peripherally runs the place and is only very mildy infected with the occupational disease).

http://www.dellanave.com/projects/tivo/4xrid.html

It has errors and difficulties but a rudimentary review of Linux 101 minus will get you past them.

http://www.ctssn.com/linux/

There is a discussion thread of the guide on the Tivo Community Forum (the first decent discussion thread there in years) and a somewhat less good one here (where there are very frequently excellent threads). Both discussions are full of garbage, more so than the guide itself, but look for consensus and you'll find valuable guidance in implementing the guide.

With _only_ these sources, if you have the ability to do a one-evening cram and B a high school physics or chemistry exam, you can accomplish 85% of the grunt work of what you want, with about three hours of study (a neat USB2 implementation is covered not in the guide but in the TCF discussion). And lay an excellent foundation for accomplishing the other 15%, which is installing Riley's excellent mfs_ftp, and tivoweb plus, really trivial additions of effort to what you will already have accomplished.

I wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dylan
    I think the recent snobbery on this forum is humanity at its lowest, but there are times, reading stuff like this, I can almost empathize with the @ssh0les who run the place.
    You've *got* to be kidding. Read this:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=41882

Quote Originally Posted by rfc
    You've *got* to be kidding. Read this:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=41882
    I totally applaud and agree with the message you point to.

This forum has historically done a huge amount of good. It continues to be a place where helpful members provide wonderful support.

Vadim, before his apparent retirement (or the coup), was a revered figure in many circles for the operation he ran here. I may be overstating it in my enthusiasm, but DDB prior to the Bott debacle and the resulting collapse, may turn out to be a historical highlight of the Internet. And the forum continues of value with its knowledgable and helpful member base.

There is an existing guide that is really quite well done (thanks mostly to Riley, who only peripherally runs the place and is only very mildy infected with the occupational disease).

http://www.dellanave.com/projects/tivo/4xrid.html
    I would never point a clueless newbie to a guide like that, especially since he obviously has no Tivo hacking background whatsoever. There are bugs in the guide that will get him lost and frustrated, at least more than he already appears to be, and the end result will be that he'll come whining back to us when he can't get his Tivo to work.

The bottom line is, if you can't put in the time to learn, then don't bother trying. If you want to have a hacked Tivo then make the time to learn. The hobby will become far more enjoyable and you won't have to depend on others to help fix it when it breaks. Without a little effort on your part you are surely headed for disaster and we'll all be here to say we told you so when that occurs.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Uh...

Who the heck are YOU to criticize us?

I guarantee that you will not last long here with this approach.

Edit: moved to Sewer.
    Last edited by alldeadhomiez; 02-25-2005 at 10:35 AM.

Take it easy...

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    Uh...

Who the heck are YOU to criticize us?

I guarantee that you will not last long here with this approach.

Edit: moved to Sewer.
    ADH,

I've been here for a few months. I keep a low profile for the most part, comment when I can help, but try to stay out of controversy. I'm a smart guy; I hacked both of my HDVR2's by doing the needed research on my own. I'm an IT consultant by profession, I hold a certification from the Linux Professional Institute, I hold 5 certifications from Sun and 6 from IBM. I only say this to give me some standing for what I say next:

YOU are a really smart guy too, and you do a lot of good around here (way more than me). You aren't one of the more acrimonious folks, and your contributions of code and information speak for themselves.

But "who are you to criticize us" ? Come on man, he has as much right to criticize as anyone. If the internet and discussion boards like this aren't about free speech then they aren't about anything at all. If he has no credibility then no one will listen and the problem will take care of itself. There's no need to threaten him ("I guarantee that you will not last long here with this approach."). A statement like that from someone with moderator power implies a threat, and you proved that by moving this thread to the sewer.

One other thing about myself - I am an auxiliary police officer for my county (Virginia allows for volunteer police officers as long as they are trained the same as regulars). As such, I wear a uniform, carry a badge and a gun. That puts me in a real position of authority and power. Just having a gun on your side can make you feel incredibly powerfull and potent. Now if I swagger around and lord that power over people they'll do nothing but resent me and they won't appreciate the job that I'm trying to do or the valuable contribution that I'm making, on my own time, for no pay at all (any of this sounding familiar?). Instead, if I am humble and mild, realizing that I am there to serve, then I gain the respect and trust of the people I encounter. I still have the power and would use it if necessary, but I don't intimidate or over-use it.

I think that if everyone would take it a little easier around here, then any reputation the board had for being acrimonious (right or wrong) would fade away and we'd all be much happier. YMMV.

Matt

This thread was destined for the sewer right from the start. If I had the access rights I'd have moved it there myself. This is a Tivo hacking forum where people come to learn and help others to learn as well. The original poster asked for the easy way out and offered money for someone to hack his Tivo for him. That's just being plain lazy and there's no room for it here. If you don't come here to learn then you shouldn't even be here. If he had put forth even a minute amount of effort to learn about hacking there would be numerous posts pointing him in the right direction. Instead, he initiated his membership with his very first post by announcing that he didn't want to take the time to learn and wanted to pay someone else for instant gratification.

Sad to say, but there's an entire market on ebay targeted at people like him and the developers are getting screwed as a result. I've been here for well over three years now and there has been a definite shift in the attitude of the mods and membership. Most of it has been due to the fact that unscrupulous individuals have taken the developers' hard work that has been offered to the rank and file at no charge and then selling it for a profit on ebay. There was also one individual, who will remain nameless, that managed to turn this forum on its ear and it has never recovered as a result. There have also been other factors at play that have affected the overall attitude of this forum but it has been an evolutionary process based on past events.

Having your intellectual property exploited that way can tend to make some people a little bitter, and justifiably so, IMHO. As a law enforcement officer I'm sure you realize that theft is theft and what the OP was asking for was not exactly within the guidelines of the software licenses outlined for the use and distribution of the hacks provided here. You are free to install and use any of the hacks yourself but distribution or sale is strictly prohibited. If the OP wants his Tivo hacked he should learn to do it himself.

While paying for someone else to install the hacks for you may not necessarily be considered a violation of the copyrights, the end result will most likely be that the OP will end up coming back here looking for support on his hacked Tivo when it breaks. This is a scenario that is seen here time and time again and is not tolerated one bit. If you didn't hack it then you'd better look to the installer for support or learn to fix it yourself.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by mcomer
    But "who are you to criticize us" ? Come on man, he has as much right to criticize as anyone. If the internet and discussion boards like this aren't about free speech then they aren't about anything at all.
    This is a private board devoted to hacking discussions, not a "free speech zone." The administrators have established several rules regarding permitted speech: no service theft discussions, no personal attacks, no criticism of moderators' decisions, respect coders' wishes with regard to their code, and so on.

There's no need to threaten him ("I guarantee that you will not last long here with this approach."). A statement like that from someone with moderator power implies a threat, and you proved that by moving this thread to the sewer.
    He will not last long if he continues to use terms like "@ssh0les" to describe his contempt for the staff (or anybody else, for that matter). We have ZERO incentive to take abuse from a non-contributor.

One other thing about myself - I am an auxiliary police officer for my county (Virginia allows for volunteer police officers as long as they are trained the same as regulars). As such, I wear a uniform, carry a badge and a gun. That puts me in a real position of authority and power. Just having a gun on your side can make you feel incredibly powerfull and potent. Now if I swagger around and lord that power over people they'll do nothing but resent me and they won't appreciate the job that I'm trying to do or the valuable contribution that I'm making, on my own time, for no pay at all (any of this sounding familiar?). Instead, if I am humble and mild, realizing that I am there to serve, then I gain the respect and trust of the people I encounter. I still have the power and would use it if necessary, but I don't intimidate or over-use it.
    I know a number of police officers, and none of them would take kindly to being called an "@ssh0le," "pig," etc. by a civilian.

Heck, even the first amendment doesn't protect "fighting words."

(Not that this is a particularly strong analogy; as a private site, DDB is not a democracy so the administrators really DO have absolute power. Police, OTOH, serve the public and cannot make their own rules.)

I think that if everyone would take it a little easier around here, then any reputation the board had for being acrimonious (right or wrong) would fade away and we'd all be much happier.
    I'm more concerned with increasing the quality of discussion than any perceived "reputation" we have elsewhere.

Understood, but still think there is room for improvement...

captain_video,

I certainly understand your points, but:

1) I did not interpret his request as being willing to pay for hacking services, but as being willing to pay for a GUIDE. (Well, in looking back at it he does so "or a program" so it's possible to take it either way.) Offering to pay for a guide is an interesting thought - in a post I just read 5 minutes ago ADH seems to imply that if people were willing to pay for good guides then they might be produced. (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...0&postcount=64)

2) I certainly understand being frustrated over being taken advantage of, but to take that out on others accomplishes nothing. I am aware of the history of which you speak. However, some of that is ancient history in internet terms, and we do have to get over it at some point. I write software for commercial purposes and would not appreciate if it were misused. But I'm not going to beat up all my clients over it; you can't treat everyone like a crook just because you were burned once (or more than once, to be fair).

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mcomer
    captain_video,

I certainly understand your points, but:

1) I did not interpret his request as being willing to pay for hacking services, but as being willing to pay for a GUIDE. (Well, in looking back at it he does so "or a program" so it's possible to take it either way.) Offering to pay for a guide is an interesting thought - in a post I just read 5 minutes ago ADH seems to imply that if people were willing to pay for good guides then they might be produced. (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...0&postcount=64)

2) I certainly understand being frustrated over being taken advantage of, but to take that out on others accomplishes nothing. I am aware of the history of which you speak. However, some of that is ancient history in internet terms, and we do have to get over it at some point. I write software for commercial purposes and would not appreciate if it were misused. But I'm not going to beat up all my clients over it; you can't treat everyone like a crook just because you were burned once (or more than once, to be fair).

Matt
    I'm wary of posting, but here's my two cents: paying for a guide (which demands you use otherwise undistributable tools) seems to be to follow the letter of the EULA, but not the spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    Sad to say, but there's an entire market on ebay targeted at people like him and the developers are getting screwed as a result. I've been here for well over three years now and there has been a definite shift in the attitude of the mods and membership. Most of it has been due to the fact that unscrupulous individuals have taken the developers' hard work that has been offered to the rank and file at no charge and then selling it for a profit on ebay. There was also one individual, who will remain nameless, that managed to turn this forum on its ear and it has never recovered as a result. There have also been other factors at play that have affected the overall attitude of this forum but it has been an evolutionary process based on past events.
    Well, this could be debated all day long, but there are quite a few factors at play here.

One important factor is that the community has needed to cope with (sometimes unwelcome) growth. When you've got one post per month asking what an IDE cable is, it might be tolerable. When you've got one post per DAY asking the same question, it's probably not. Even the regulars in the TCF "underground" seem to be getting annoyed with the repetitive, uninformed questions. The forum contains a large amount of information, most of which (perhaps unfortunately) new users will need to find on their own. At any rate, it is rude to ask the DDB regulars to be their personal search assistants.

Another factor is that the prerequisites have changed. As the number of available hacks has increased, so has the amount of Linux and TiVo knowledge needed to "get by." We do our best to point people to relevant discussions in the sticky threads, but if they do not read those threads (or lack the background they need to understand them), they will be lost. That's life.

Regarding the general atmosphere here - I maintain that "do a search" or "why didn't you read the stickies?" are completely acceptable replies, while "why didn't you search, retard?" is not. There is no need to be abusive (as a few members have been in the past). There is also no need to accommodate anybody who has no hope of ever understanding what they are doing. They can either put in the effort to learn it, or they can enjoy their stock unit.

<sigh>

I hate responding to this nonsense, but I will not allow you to continue unabated.

You are wearing on my patience. At the time of this response you have a total of 14 posts. 35% of all your posts contain some sort of slam against the contributing members of DDB (of which you are NOT) and more particularly, the management. I submit the following:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...17&postcount=2

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...77&postcount=3

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...6&postcount=10

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...&postcount=770

You have already violated any three strike rule I might put into place. Therefore, I will warn you, once. Stop. We need you much less then you need us. I assure you.

Consider participating in this community by hacking your Tivo, and not by making snide remarks. It is unwelcome.

Please enjoy your time here. When you no longer enjoy it, you are free to leave.
    Last edited by JJBliss; 02-25-2005 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling

He wants a guide? I'll be his guide!

He can avoid all licensing issues and get his answers fast:

I'll be his guide for $30/hour. I'll do the searching here; I'll read the stickies; I'll hold his hand through out the entire process (and probably learn something myself). Paypal will work fine.

Well, this could be debated all day long, but there are quite a few factors at play here.
    Absolutely true on all counts. I was just expressing an opinion based on the facts as I see them. YMMV

1) I did not interpret his request as being willing to pay for hacking services, but as being willing to pay for a GUIDE.
    You are correct and I apologize for taking my rant off-topic as he did not request that someone else hack his Tivo for him as I had indicated but was indeed asking for a hand-holding guide (Heck, I was on a roll so I went with it. ).