Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Instructions to convert extracted video to SVCD

Instructions to convert extracted video to SVCD

I have written up some directions to convert the extracted video from a stand alone tivo to SVCD, since I have found nothing on the net about how to do it.

http://www.digitalregime.com/tivo2svcd/

If you have any questions send me a private message on this forum.

thx

thx

Thumbs up

Awesome!!

I'm glad to see old friends here doing great things. This is one of the neatest extraction techniques I have seen so far.

Keep up the good work

nrg

How do you overcome the TMPGenc time limit restrictions - Only 30 days of MPEG2 processing are allowed. Do you do the date switch trick?

Audio out of sync still

Thanks dopester for the good how-to -- the best part I thought was explainig why High quality is best for SVCDs. I like it when people tell the WHY behind something in their how-tos.
    I am not really asking for help, I was just wondering if you could verify for the group that the audio still does get out of sync sometimes. As far as I can tell, this is an ExtractStream prob that everyone encounters. Some people say they never have sync problems, but I just can't believe it. My latest attempt was ALMOST in sync until I cut out the commercials like you explined in your howto, but it messed up the sync even worse.
    As far as I am concerned, this is the only remaining problem -- I agree with you that the video quality is quite acceptable using your method. Thanks again.

Audio sync issues

I don't believe the audio sync issues are ExtractStream issues.

Why? Because I'm using ExtractStream and netmplex and the resulting multiplexed mpeg-2 stream plays PERFECTLY.

If you go over the the TMPGEnc fourms, it's pretty clear its a TMPGEnc bug. See my posting there... link

So my question is, how are you getting the audio and video to be in sync? The url at digitalregime above glosses over this part of the process.

Hey ken -- thanks for the reply and the pointer to the other forum -- Well, I would be happier if it is a TMPGenc problem and not an ES problem, because I feel certain TMPGenc people will fix it sooner than ES people.
    I was getting mine almost synced by using the audio offset as described in that post in the TMPGenc forum. By the end though, it is usally about .5 - 1 second out of sync.

By the way, I am assuming you have a linux box you are using for netmplex? I go tthe windows port of it and when I try to use it, it drops frames like crazy -- get about a frame a second -- if you happen to use windows, could you give my a set of instructions with it that you know works? THanks.

WillieB

I'm running netmplex on the Mac (I ported it).

As for the windows version, my guess is it's the buffering code which I rewrote on the Mac. I don't think it really worked...

I'll see if I can get it building on the PC and release a new version...

Oh, and for TMPGEnc fixing it...I wouldn't hold my breath. If you look at the support forum, this bug seems to have been there forever and the author doesn't seem to be active in the forum.

Ken -- I have a win compiled version but I don't know if I have the source -- I'll check in the AM and send it to you if you want -- I wish I knew more about programming, but unfortunately I am pretty weak at it. I'd love for some more help with things. ...

There are major differences between the versions of TMPGenc. I have tried some versions that wont open the files extracted from the tivo. I have some versions that will crash when converting them. I have some versions that work great.

I think the sync problems you guys are having may be related to the version of TMPGenc you are using.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    export VIDEO_OUT=/var/hack/videos/$1.m2v
    export AUDIO_OUT=/var/hack/videos/$1.m2a
    ExtractStream -p $2 $3 $4 $5 $6
    That is exactly how I rip video from the tivo. Its a script i have on the tivo. I include the -p headers option. I dont know if this helps out any, but so far with the few shows i've saved so far the sound doesnt appear to be off, but I will check and make sure since I had already seen these shows, and wasnt watching very closely.

Actually, it's with all versions of TMPGEnc. The difference is it seems to be limited to multiplexed streams...

Seems I'll have to try just the netcat extraction from TiVo.

What are you using to play newly created SVCD mpeg with? I have sent examples to friends who say they are horribly desynched, and it always turns out to be the software they use to play it.

I use WinDVD v3.00 to play the SVCDs and mpegs on my computer, and eveything ive created is not deschyned.
    When played on my Apex AD-5131 DVD Player they are not
    desychned either. If you have an example that is "desycnhed" feel free to send it over and we can see about eliminating the problem.

I noticed on your post on the TMPGenc forum you are using version 2.00. I am using Beta 12i. Some other versions I have did screw up the audio sync.

When you extract the video from the Tivo do you use the -P option? I dont know enough about mpeg, but its possible if you dont use that option some headers wont be included in the stream, and when re-encoding them sync is harder to be detemined, and thats why everything goes to hell after a while.

Last edited by dopester; 10-06-2001 at 02:17 PM.

I'm about to head out to see a movie, but when I get back later, I will try again with the -p option and see what I get -- I have WinDVD ver 2.6 and it is out of sync. I am using Bete 12j -- I'll get i and try it too --- I'll see what I get and then maybe post a file if it still isn't working -- I'd love to figure this out -- last obstacle for me......

I finally think I have a grip on what is going on here.. I just converted a mpeg from tivo to svcd. I was playing it with WinDVD and as I skipped around and through the MPEG I noticed that it was out of sync at one point. Then I skipped ahead some more, and it was back in sync. Then I went back to where I thought it was out of sync previously, and it was fine. I think most of these problems are player related. I am about to burn the cut up mpegs to an SVCD and see how they play in my DVD player.. I will keep you guys posted..

Nope. I think the difference is you're taking the two separate streams and running them through TMPGEnc. I'm taking a multiplexed stream from netmplex and running it through.

Playing my multiplexed stream through both Elecard AND WinDVD play fine. Playing my multiplexed stream which has been reencoded at a lower bitrate through TMPGEnc fails on BOTH Elecard and WinDVD.

From reading the TMPGEnc forums, it would appear that this may be related to the problem with people using TMPGEnc to cut commercials from MPEG-2 streams...

I'll be modifying netmplex to also allow outputting the separate streams to see if I can avoid the problem (though removing any commercials will just bring back the sync problem).