This is exactly how I rip the video.
1. I get the TYStream numbers from httpd
2. I run a script named riptivo on my tivo that is as follows:
/var/hack/videos is a nfs mount on my linux box.
ExtractStream -p $2 $3 $4 $5 $6
3. From there I ftp them to my windows box (since I cannot get samba to work otherwise I would omit this step and write it straight to my windows box)
4. I open the 2 seperate files up in TMPGenc and follow the directiosn on the web. This muxes the files during the bitrate lowering phase.
If my memory serves me correctly using mplex from the mjpeg tools on the linux box and then using tmpgenc did screw up from time to time. But I tried so many things its hard to remember if I stopped using mplex on the linux box and opening the already mplexed file in TMPGenc because it was unneeded or if it was because it posed problems for the output.
When you ask about MPEGTools are you talking about the MPEG Tools present in TMPGenc or another set of tools.
I am begining to wonder if netcat is possibly posing a problem. Because every video I make has no problems whatsoever.