Thread: Oops, no swap

Oops, no swap

G'Day All

Well I've been having some troubles these last two days, (adding a second drive, machines REFUSES to get pasg "Just a few more minutes" so I have decided to let that go for right now, and use my other drive to play with 6.2 as things become available, but here is my current problem...

I installed a 200G drive this morning, with a fresh install of 4.01b on my D*Tivo HDVR2 non-rid. I swore I did everything right, but I did it so many times in the last two days, I dunno. The problem is this...I think I forgot to make the swap drive (I actually thought I did -s 150). Tivoweb reports 0 swap space...

Is there a way to fix this problem w/o pulling the drive and re-doing it? Damn I hope so

Thanks!

Telnet in to the Tivo & run mkswap /dev/hda8 (I think... may just be mkswap /dev/hda but the mkswap man pages seem to indicate it's the former... only one will work, so there's no harm if you get it wrong... just an error message).

Then you'll run swapon -a to activate it. And you can check /proc/swaps to make sure it's working: cat /proc/swaps

Edit: mkswap on the Tivo will only initialize the first 127 megs of swap space. You'll need a mkswap that can write v1 headers in order to initialize the entire 150 megs you allocated, and a kernel that can utilize v1 swap partitions.

-psxboy
    Last edited by psxboy; 03-04-2005 at 12:09 PM.
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652

Uh, you really don't want to "mkswap /dev/hda". It will take out a good chunk of your partition table.

Not sure what the stock TiVo mkswap does (since I use the Debian version), but old versions of mfstools definitely do not initialize >=128MB swap areas correctly.

Moved to Newbie.

Heh... thanks ADH. I couldn't remember which I used (/dev/hda,/dev/hda8, or no options at all) when I had to run it last... I just know it worked. And the stock Tivo mkswap definately doesn't do v1 swaps (only v0).

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    Uh, you really don't want to "mkswap /dev/hda". It will take out a good chunk of your partition table.

Not sure what the stock TiVo mkswap does (since I use the Debian version), but old versions of mfstools definitely do not initialize >=128MB swap areas correctly.

Moved to Newbie.

Hrm, so you think the problem is that I was trying to use a bigger swap partition? I didn't realise that it might choke on greater than 128. I've just heard for so long that increasing it isn't a bad idea if you have a lot of storage, so I thought what the hell

I was using the mfstools that comes on the ptv lba48 cd. Guess I just assumed it would work I'm off to try your suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by enesha
    Hrm, so you think the problem is that I was trying to use a bigger swap partition? I didn't realise that it might choke on greater than 128. I've just heard for so long that increasing it isn't a bad idea if you have a lot of storage, so I thought what the hell

I was using the mfstools that comes on the ptv lba48 cd. Guess I just assumed it would work I'm off to try your suggestions
    The mfstools fixes are just a few weeks old:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=226416

I believe tpip might initialize >=128MB swap partitions correctly?

It might be worthwhile to add a newer mkswap binary to the AIO package. As 300GB+ drives get cheaper, the "conventional wisdom" of allocating a 127MB swap partition is quickly becoming obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy
    Telnet in to the Tivo & run mkswap /dev/hda8 (I think... may just be mkswap /dev/hda but the mkswap man pages seem to indicate it's the former... only one will work, so there's no harm if you get it wrong... just an error message).

Then you'll run swapon -a to activate it. And you can check /proc/swaps to make sure it's working: cat /proc/swaps

Edit: mkswap on the Tivo will only initialize the first 127 megs of swap space. You'll need a mkswap that can write v1 headers in order to initialize the entire 150 megs you allocated, and a kernel that can utilize v1 swap partitions.

-psxboy
    Hey thanks for the help, it worked Sorry that it was such a simple question I could have done that myself, and have in linux any number of times, but I guess my problem was that I assumed that it would have worked with the >=128 by itself, so I assumed if there was no swap, that I just must have forgotten that switch on the mfsrestore.

Guess I was over complicating things, lol. Thanks guys

Yeh, I used an earlier version (3.01 I think) of the same CD when I installed my 200GB.

The LBA48 kernel on that ISO needs v1 swap, but the tools on the CD created swap partitions as v0.

My S1 wasn't very happy with 0 swap (although it would run for a while, flakily). The Tivo S1 binaries I loaded had an mkswap that would create v1 swap headers. It's a lot happier with 256MB.

I just figured it was because it was an old ISO - sounds like 4.x had the same issue until a few days ago...