Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to 6.2, collected info and tips - NO SUPPORT QUESTIONS

Upgrading to 6.2, collected info and tips - NO SUPPORT QUESTIONS

Okay, this is NOT A GUIDE! I will do my best to maintain this, but PLEASE POINT OUT ANY MISTAKES! I will edit it ASAP if any are found.

1) What is 6.2? What systems can it be installed on? What kernel version is running in 6.2?

6.2 is DirecTivo software version that is the next step for DTivos from 3.1.1e. It includes the folders that were introduced in 4.x, as well apparently including HMO features within the software although not activating them for users. This means that while the HMO code is in there, or at least appears to be, it is NOT activated at this point. The guide speed is faster than 4.x/3.x.

HMO features can be activated however, as of 5/8/2005. NutKase has graciously released a superpatch for 6.x and 7.x which enables HMO/MRV features. The main post for this is found here, while the support thread for NutKase's release is found here. I'll leave most of the support of the superpatch to those threads, but one common question should be addressed: while it's okay to dial home if you're running a clean 6.2, you MUST NOT dial home if you've superpatched your DirecTivo. If your unit does so, it will get certificates from Tivo, meaning that in 6 months, your HMO/MRV features will expire. There is a silver lining though, if you make such a mistake: the call home will create two entries in MFS.
    /State/Keyring/SP_4-production-5-12929-180-A-13109-A-13109-A
    /State/Keyring/SP_5-production-2-12929-180-A-13109-A-13109-A
    And if you rubbish/trash those entries, your system should maintain the HMO capabilities beyond the 6-month deadline. For more information, have a look at this thread.

Version 6.2 can be installed on Series 2 hardware. If you are using a Series 1 box, this is NOT for you. If you are using a Series 2.5 box, you can ONLY install 6.1 at this point. I am unsure as to the overlap between 6.1 and 6.2, but it should be significant.

6.2 includes Linux kernel version 2.4.20, just like 3.1.5, 5.x and 7.x. This is as opposed to 3.1.1x which runs 2.4.4. As a result, it has LBA48 support built in.

One of the main points of running 6.2 instead of 4.x is the increased guide/menu speed: there is an excellent post here detailing exactly how much faster 6.2 is (short answer: much quicker!).

2) How do I install 6.2?

6.2 can be installed just like any other software version. Either a full image can be restored, slices downloaded from the internet can be uploaded to your system for install (instructions below), or slices downloaded from DTV via satellite can be used for install. However, a few things need to be changed, due to an oddity in the installSw.itcl script.

2.a) How do you modify the installSw.itcl script to properly upgrade via slices/downloaded updates?

The default installSw.itcl script has two main problems for a hacker to use it in installing 6.x: first, the reboot command needs to be removed (so that after the upgrade, the hacks can be installed without removing the drive), and second, the parameters need to be adjusted.

To solve the first problem, do a search for "reboot" in the script, and replace it with an "exit 0" command. Personally, I put an "echo" command by that exit, so provide me with a notice.

To solve the second problem, follow the following advice the user 7.1 provided:
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.1
    In my experience, ErrDbNotFound means that the tyDb object being opened doesn't exist. In this case, it's trying to open "/SwSystem/$swName". If you dig through the updateroot script (in /var/utils), you'll see that it accepts $swName as an argument, but if it isn't passed in, it uses the value in the SwSystemName field of /State/ServiceConfig object. What value is stored there? The tivosh command "dumpobj /State/ServiceConfig" will tell you.

The easy fix is to edit installSw.itcl to add $name as a new fourth argument to the call to updateroot.
    After you run the installSw.itcl script (with the appropriate parameters), all you should have to do is (1) check the bootpage, (2) copy your new hacks over INCLUDING YOUR .AUTHOR FILE and (3) reboot.

Not incidentally, make sure you've got the right loopsets for DTivo, if you're downloading stuff from online as opposed to just waiting for the forced download of the updates (remember, all series 2 DTivos WILL download 6.2 eventually...waiting a little while may save you some headaches). You'll need the following:

loopset-2702706-2.slice
    loopset-6055486-6.slice
    loopset-6055491-6.slice
    loopset-6055496-6.slice
    loopset-6055501-6.slice
    loopset-6055505-4.slice
    loopset-6506965-3.slice
    loopset-6506970-3.slice

3) How do I HACK 6.2?

3a) The kernel
    The basic hack - to circumvent the initrd security - is thankfully easy. Just as a 3.1.1c kernel could have killhdinitrd applied, and be used on a 3.1.1e system, a 3.1.5 kernel can have killhdinitrd applied and be used on a 6.2 system.

3b) Networking
    Before going any further, I should mention a new problem involving 6.2 and NutKase's new superpatch: apparently if you setup your network info manually, the Tivo doesn't have the opportunity to properly set itself up for HMO/MRV. Unfortunately, this means your options are somewhat limited.

So, here are the options:
    1. Set your networking info as described below, but don't use the superpatch.
    2. Install 4.x, set your network info up there, and then upgrade via slices to 6.2
    3. Use the built-in DHCP (which means you'll have to check your DHCP tables periodically to identify your tivo or assign it a static IP w/ the server).
    4. Employ Lgkahn's script (or something like it).

Please see this thread for some further discussion. I'd also recommend 7.1's post here, since he explains it in a bit more detail.

If you're -not- using the superpatch, then the networking hacks have a few steps. Since 6.2 includes a DHCP client (and obviously network drivers) you need to disable that client so as to be able to assign a specific IP via your .author file (otherwise, you'd have to check your router's DHCP table to find out the Tivo's location). To do this, rename /sbin/dhclient to /sbin/dhclient.orig (since you never want to DELETE these files). As noted below, you'll also want to replace those drivers.

You also need to either rename netfilter-enable, or alter the iptables. Messing up the former will remove networking, while the latter will cause a reboot loop. Your call which you want to do.

Here's how to modify the iptables:
    by executing the following code:
    Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    cd /sbin
    mv iptables iptables.old
    echo -e '#!/bin/bash\nexit 0' > iptables
    chmod 755 iptables
    3c) Free space issues
    You also should be careful about the free space in your partitions. PlainBill explained it this way:

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    The partition is the same size, however it does have a lot more in it. Root on 3.1.1e with AlphaWolf's Series 2 binaries (TiVoApp not patched) is 30% used. With TiVoApp patched, it's 47% used. On 6.2, it's 57% used. Others have had problems when they tried to copy the expanded Series 2 binaries from one partition to another and failed to use the proper switch (-r?). The results in multiple copies of busybox.
    Currently, only some of the other hacks are available for 6.2:

3d) Disabling encryption.
    Tivoapp can be patched to prevent CSO encryption according to this post.
    If you want to do it via echo (instead of a hex editor), use the following command:
    Code:
    echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=10705308
    Of course, if you use the superpatch it will disable encryption.
    3e) MFS_FTP.
    MFS_FTP can be used for extraction, but due to the event handling system being removed in 6.2, insertion doesn't work properly yet. IF you want to use it, comment out the event lines in the appropriate script. I do NOT recommend doing this, as it is known to cause several difficulties for many users. Please see the discussion below in this thread.

3f) Backdoors.
    Backdoors can be enabled. Among other things, this will enable you to use your broadband connection to connect to Tivo. There is LIMITED point here: you shouldn't be dialing home with a DirecTivo if you're not running the expected software. Running 6.2 is germane right now (as is 3.1.1e) so its okay to dial home, either via phone or via the network. To do so, first you have to enable backdoors in /etc/rc.d/StageD_PreMfs/rc.Sequence_150.CheckForDebug.sh by setting:
    Code:
    DEBUG_BOARD=true
    This will allow you to dial via your broadband connection.

3g) TivoWebPlus.
    As noted here originally, older versions of TivoWebPlus could not be run without difficulty on 6.2 That said, the current build of TivoWebPlus - available here includes all the necessary changes to run. In other words, installing TivoWebPlus is now as simple as can be (and those steps are described on that site).

3h) TyTools.
    Tserver (for Tytools) can be run properly, but not NowShowing.tcl. As a solution, use the version of tserver here which doesn't require NowShowing.tcl.

Download speeds are currently limited by the default network drivers, but the use of backported USB2.0 drivers have brought the speeds back up. Find them here.

3i) Fakecall.tcl.
    Fakecall.tcl (the script to avoid the nag on dtivos when you don't make a call home) is not currently usable on 6.2. However, it can easily be modified (courtesy of AlphaWolf) to work. Go to line 78 of the script, which should read:
    Code:
    } elseif { [regexp {^4} $sw] } {
    and change it to read:
    Code:
    } elseif { [regexp {^4} $sw] || [regexp {^6} $sw] } {
    3j) Audio-only channel recording.
    Tivoapp can be patched to allow recording of audio-only channels. A full list of the three patch points can be found here,, courtesy of AlphaWolf and jeboo.

EDIT HISTORY:
    3/15/2005: Created
    3/15/2005: Modified to include TivoWebPlus fixes (90%).
    3/16/2005: Modified to clarify the network section.
    3/17/2005: Modified to include fakecall info
    3/18/2005: Modified to include the patch for recording audio-only channels.
    3/18/2005: Modified to include links to the backported drivers, and clarify a few points.
    3/21/2005: Modified to clean up a little language, etc.
    3/22/2005: Modified to update insertion debate, formatting.
    3/24/2005: Modfified to fix backdoors section
    3/29/2005: Modified to add something to the tivoapp patching.
    5/12/2005: Modified to add Nutkase's superpatch info for HMO.
    Last edited by The Only Druid; 08-20-2005 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Added 7.1's networking notes

6.2 is DirecTivo software version that is the next step from 4.x. It includes the folders that were introduced in 4.x
    Actually, is the next step from 3.1.x (4.x was never officially released for DTivos.

It can be installed on Series 2 or Series 2.5 hardware. If you are using a Series 1 box, this is NOT for you.
    I don't think it can be installed on S2.5. 2.5 runs 6.1 because of the hardware differences.

I didn't do the iptables stuff. I just rename netfilter-enable so it would not start...

You can also set the debug_board to true (during rc.sysinit), so backdoors are enabled. This way you can connect to TIVO using your broadband connection (using the #401 dialing prefix).

Quote Originally Posted by HuMan321
    Ok thanks... Let me rephrase my question... Will 6.2 support 72.5 locals with hacks installed. My question stems from when 3.1.1c was changed to 3.1.1e for us 72.5 folks, the way I understood it was I could not upgrade to 4.x for networking and still receive locals on 72.5?
    Well, 3.1.1e was never than 4.x (yeah, it's strange). That's because 4.x was never mean to be run on DTivos, and as such a 72.5 upgrade for locals was not necessary.

I am sure that the 72.5 locals are part of the 6.2 version. If not then DirecTV would not be upgrading everyone, right?

Thanks for your responses. I seem to be having a hard time phrasing my questions. I will try again.
    I was forced to choose from either receiving my locals on 72.5 with 3.1.1e or pass on the locals and start from 3.1.1c and upgrade to 4.x to extract, tivoweb, network and other fun hacks. So my question is this... In your opinion, will it be possible in the future for people to receive locals on 72.5 and join the party again? I know 6.2 will support 72.5, but will it be hackable for me? Thanks

6.2 is fully hackable. That's why we are posting a step-by-step guide to upgrade, and keep your hacks

Thanks for this. I've been reading all the threads, drinking in all the advice from people who successfully have done this and saving a LOT of tabs in Firefox for future reference (I think I have more of PlainBill's posts saved than anything else!)

I'm hoping to upgrade my sleepered system from 3.1.1b to 6.2. I notice that I seem to have 8 pieces of the 6.2 software, much like everyone who has them downloaded by the satellite seems to have.

I've already applied killhdinitrd to a 3.1.1.c kernal and everything appears to work fine. Now, I never applied Alphawolf's all-in-one package or Jamie's new USB drivers. Everything I have now is pretty much stock from the Sleeper ISO, with the exception of Endpadplus and Tivowebplus.

So, from what I understand, after I've modified my installSw.tcl file and install the software, then I should move the hacks I have over. OR, should I just install the AIO and USB packages then? Also, I've seen mention of creating/revising the rc.sysinit.author file. I already have one from the old installation. Should I just scrap it or just comment out lines like kmem and copy it over? Sad to say, I really don't know about VI, so I just FTP any files like that over to my system and edit them with Emacs. It's probably the long way around, but until I feel more comfortable with vi, it's the way I'm trying it.

Thanks to all who post...it's a lot of reading, but it doesn't seem as hard (even if it gets cryptic at times!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by HuMan321
    Thanks for your responses. I seem to be having a hard time phrasing my questions. I will try again.
    I was forced to choose from either receiving my locals on 72.5 with 3.1.1e or pass on the locals and start from 3.1.1c and upgrade to 4.x to extract, tivoweb, network and other fun hacks. So my question is this... In your opinion, will it be possible in the future for people to receive locals on 72.5 and join the party again? I know 6.2 will support 72.5, but will it be hackable for me? Thanks
    Another option would be to upgrade to 3.1.1e and hack that. You can get locals on 72.5, extraction, tivoweb, and network drivers to work; but I don't know about the other fun hacks you want. I use my DVR80 with 3.1.1e (it upgraded before I hacked--I don't have locals on 72.5) with scrambling off, endpadplus on, tytools and mfs_ftp for extraction/insertion, and I can make a DVD of a movie that will play on my kids' DVD player.

ew

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    3) How do I HACK 6.2?

The basic hack - to circumvent the initrd security - is thankfully easy. Just as a 3.1.1c kernel could have killhdinitrd applied, and be used on a 3.1.1e system, a 3.1.5 kernel can have killhdinitrd applied and be used on a 6.2 system. However, there is one small difference: the iptables file has to be changed according to Alldeadhomiez suggestion by executing the following code:

If you don't apply this change to the iptables, you wont have any networking on your system. Why? Because 6.2 uses netfilter.

You'll also want to alter the IP settings, so that you can set your IP in your .author file: rename dhclient to disable the dhcp client. That should be pretty simple.

You also should be careful about the free space in your partitions. PlainBill explained it this way:
    Three quick question. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't have a dhclient on my system if I'm running 3.1.1b, do I? My static IP is currently set in rc.sysinit.author. Also, I don't have to worry about disabling netfilter either, correct? Finally, I don't seem to have an entry for iptables. I'm assuming all of this was from the 4.0 release. Am I right?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FriedPorkSkins
    Three quick question. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't have a dhclient on my system if I'm running 3.1.1b, do I? My static IP is currently set in rc.sysinit.author. Also, I don't have to worry about disabling netfilter either, correct? Finally, I don't seem to have an entry for iptables. I'm assuming all of this was from the 4.0 release. Am I right?

Thanks!
    Yes, 3.1.1x doesn't have the netfilter/iptables stuff. That was introduced in 4.x, and has persisted now into 5.x, 6.x and 7.x.

Quote Originally Posted by jasch
    Actually, is the next step from 3.1.x (4.x was never officially released for DTivos.

I don't think it can be installed on S2.5. 2.5 runs 6.1 because of the hardware differences.

I didn't do the iptables stuff. I just rename netfilter-enable so it would not start...

You can also set the debug_board to true (during rc.sysinit), so backdoors are enabled. This way you can connect to TIVO using your broadband connection (using the #401 dialing prefix).
    a) I didn't mean to imply 4.x was for DTivos, but rather refer to the general development of tivo software.
    b) Can anyone confirm that 6.2 cannot be put on 2.5 hardware? I wasn't aware of this limitation, and would like to be sure for my info post.
    c) I included both iptables/netfilter because they accomplish different things (although both allow the networking). This way, both routes are covered.

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind
    Another option would be to upgrade to 3.1.1e and hack that. You can get locals on 72.5, extraction, tivoweb, and network drivers to work; but I don't know about the other fun hacks you want.
    Well, besides folders (which you already get with 4.x). The new dabatase engine on 6.2, is really faaaaast. My system is no longer lagging on the now playing list, the todo list, season pases or the guide.

It's really an improvement. Now the Tivo can keep up with all my repeated page-up's and page-down's.

Do the upgrade instructions posted above work on both RID and non-RID Tivo hardware?

They should. You have to identify the correct slice for your system, depending on your DVR model. After all you only need 4 (or 5) slices out of the 10+ slices available.

The rest of the slices you don't use are for the other DVR models.

For example, my RCA DVR40 used swsystem 321. (my service number starts with 321)

Quote Originally Posted by mmoore99
    Do the upgrade instructions posted above work on both RID and non-RID Tivo hardware?
    As far as I know, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    Backdoors can be enabled. Among other things, this will enable you to use your broadband connection to connect to Tivo. There is LIMITED point here: you shouldn't EVER be dialing home with a DirecTivo.
    Excuse me... but why wouldn't you? The DTivo naturally dials home every 1 or 2 weeks. All DirecTivo's do. It's the way you get showcases, advertisements from TiVo and among other things channel logos. You're just saving a phone call by doing it via broadband.

I think your comment is misleading, since all DirecTivos dial home. (on the other hand with 4.X you should NOT dial home at all, since the Tivo's servers could notice you are running an unsupported OS version on your DirecTivo).

In fact, if you don't dial home, you will start getting nagging messages after about 4 weeks (one per day)