Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: VLC modules for playing, streaming, etc.

VLC plugin directory on Linux

I've been unable to find the plugin directory under Linux, the best I've located is /usr/lib/vlc But it's just full of other directories.

Thanks, Phil Howard

Quote Originally Posted by redav72
    I've been unable to find the plugin directory under Linux, the best I've located is /usr/lib/vlc But it's just full of other directories.

Thanks, Phil Howard
    You'll want to copy the module to /usr/lib/vlc/demux. And, of course, you'll want the latest module that I forgot to post the other day. It's attached.

- Stealth Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files

VLC debug

Thanks, Dave

I've copied the ty plugin into the correct directory, however when I try to play a show I get a Seg Fault. For background information I've got a direcTV tivo and I've loaded the noscramble module, but I have not yet been able to successfully play or demux anything. I'm attatching the output from vlc -v3, if anyone has any idea's I'd most appreciat it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm trying to get this running under linux-ppc. I compiled the libty_plugin.so from the latest snapshot, but when I put it in the demux folder, it just doesn't register as a module. I also couldn't find the vstream source anywhere.. is that available? thanks.

edit: Ok, I figured a few things out:

Latest snapshot is 0.8.2, not 0.8.1. Downloaded and compiling 0.8.1 now.

vstream still has yet to be released, can somebody please compile it for linux ppc, or send me the source so I can do it?
    Last edited by Thinkdiff; 04-10-2005 at 03:39 AM.

Thinkdiff:
    As much as I truly hate CVS, I think I've got a version of the vstream source uploaded at sourceforge. CVS being what it is, and sourceforge not giving anyone proper access to it, there still may be problems. Did I mention how much I hate CVS?

It should be available via anonymouse cvs at cvs.sf.net/cvsroot/tivo-vlc and the module is vstream. Note that this is not an official release, but should work for your purpose. See the main project's CVS instructions if you need them. If you can't get it there, you'll have to wait until I get the source cleaned up and make an official release. I hate CVS. It's so backwards and such an enormous pain to do the most simple things with it.

I've copied the ty plugin into the correct directory, however when I try to play a show I get a Seg Fault. For background information I've got a direcTV tivo and I've loaded the noscramble module, but I have not yet been able to successfully play or demux anything.
    Looks good right up until it starts trying to play the MPEG video data. Are you able to extract and play with other tools? Or is nothing working? Could be that the stream is still scrambled.

tx:

Looks like it never made it to the CVS. Nothing there but the default files.

Seg Fault

Is there anyway to test if a ty is correctly unscrambled? I loaded the noscramble without a problem, but I don't know how to verify that is doing what it is supposed to do. Are there more steps than just "insmod noscramble.o"?

Thanks, Phil Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkdiff
    Looks like it never made it to the CVS. Nothing there but the default files.
    Try using the CVS command line directly. Their CVS web-snapshot is updated nightly I think, so it won't show up there until tomorrow.

Is there anyway to test if a ty is correctly unscrambled? I loaded the noscramble without a problem, but I don't know how to verify that is doing what it is supposed to do. Are there more steps than just "insmod noscramble.o"?
    Search the forum for "ciphercheck.tcl". That program will tell you what you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by tx413
    Try using the CVS command line directly. Their CVS web-snapshot is updated nightly I think, so it won't show up there until tomorrow.
    I did.. I set it to download module "." (it should download everything on CVS doing that). Only the default files came up. Even tried "vstream" as the module

Just tried again, and it worked. must take time to show up in the CVS. Compiling now. Will post both binaries after i've tested them.

Ok.. having some trouble. it seems like every time vlc tries to access vstream, my linux box kernel panics. I know a good deal of linux, but don't know anything about trying to backtrace and such a KP. i do know vlc is causing it cause it's mentioned in the text spit out by the kernel during the kp. I am running command line only, starting VLC through a ssh session and using the http interface. I know it's not vlc itself cause I used it previously w/o the module added and it never KP'd.

edit: it seems this is due to my computer having 4 processors. When I set it to start with 1 proc, it worked fine. I'll try 2 processors tomorrow.
    Last edited by Thinkdiff; 04-11-2005 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkdiff
    Ok.. having some trouble. it seems like every time vlc tries to access vstream, my linux box kernel panics. [...]

edit: it seems this is due to my computer having 4 processors. When I set it to start with 1 proc, it worked fine. I'll try 2 processors tomorrow.
    Can't help you much there except to say that VLC is heavily threaded. Every task (access, demux, codec, display, gui, etc..) is its own thread. The vstream access code has been compiled and tested on other Linux systems. I use Fedora Core, not sure what stealthdave has.

BTW, what PPC machine has 4 processors?

Didn't get a chance to do more testing today, perhaps tomorrow.

Machine is a Daystar Genesis MP. Has a Quad 180MHz 604e processor card. Really nice stuff