Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: VLC modules for playing, streaming, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dylan View Post
    I spoke too soon. The first couple of s2's I tried worked, now a whole string in a row of them do not. Trying to find some logic in why a couple of s2's work but most do not.
    Can you put together a series of the smallest ty files you can that still fail using tychopper or some other chunkwise editing tool? If I can get a collection of test files that are easy to download, I can pass them along to the VLC team and get these bugs ironed out. PM me for an ftp site to upload them to.

Thanks.
    - Stealth Dave

Quote Originally Posted by stealthdave View Post
    Can you put together a series of the smallest ty files you can that still fail... If I can get a collection of test files that are easy to download, I can pass them along to the VLC team and get these bugs ironed out.
    I've prepared a zip file that contains 10 series 2 ty files, each truncated to its first 35 seconds. The zip file is 117 MB. PM me a location to send it.

These series 2 ty's do not play on VLC 0.8.6c on a PPC Mac with the ty plugin for 0.8.6c PPC that you posted in this thread. They play fine on VLC 0.8.6c on Intel Macs with the Intel 0.8.6c plugin you posted.

Mac OS X libvstream_plugin.dylib latest build?

The latest version of this plugin that I can find is for VLC 0.8.4.

Is there to be/is there already one for the latest builds of VLC please?

Cheers

Derryck
    Cheers

Derryck

Quote Originally Posted by Derryck View Post
    The latest version of this plugin that I can find is for VLC 0.8.4.

Is there to be/is there already one for the latest builds of VLC please?

Cheers

Derryck
    That'll be a NO then.
    Cheers

Derryck

That'll be a NO then.
    If you read up previously in the thread, I'm pretty sure they're trying to get basic TY playback included with the VLC distro. StealthDave even posted a couple of newer plugins.
    Last edited by Narf54321; 11-19-2007 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321 View Post
    If you read up previously in the thread, I'm pretty sure they're trying to get basic TY playback included with the VLC distro. StealthDave even posted a couple of newer plugins.
    The plugins there are for playing back TY files that have been previously downloaded. The libvstream one I refer to is the one that permits streaming from the TiVo (in my case a standalone Series 1). Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick somewhere along the line.

So, any news on a new Mac OS X libvstream please, anyone?
    Cheers

Derryck

PPC 0.8.6d doesn't read .ty files

I noticed that a 0.8.6d pre-release was made available for testing about 3 days ago, so I downloaded it. Just like every other version beyond 0.8.4, VLC is still unable to play .ty files. Someone else already commented on this in the developer's forum at the VLC site,

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic....art=15#p131949

and it does not look encouraging. My guess is that some massive rework is probably required to get the typlugin to play nice with whatever changed in 0.8.5 and later.

Quote Originally Posted by burbinator View Post
    I noticed that a 0.8.6d pre-release was made available for testing about 3 days ago, so I downloaded it. Just like every other version beyond 0.8.4, VLC is still unable to play .ty files...it does not look encouraging.
    For intel Macs we are in good shape: Stealth Dave has posted a plugin here that works with VLC 0.8.6c and since the main trunk now has this capability as well, recent builds of VLC 0.9 are good to go. Unfortunately there _are_ no recent builds of the PPC version of 0.9, nor is there a PPC plugin for 0.8.6c, so that is the problem. Stealth Dave may do a 0.8.6c PPC ty plugin at some point, but it's not likely to be a top priority. Sooner or later somebody will get a PPC version of VLC 0.9 to compile and life will be good.

Keep in mind we are talking about a problem only with series 2 ty's; s1 ty's play fine with all versions of VLC, recent and for a long time in the past.

Just got an intel mac and downloaded the Intel version of VLC linked in this thread.
    I'm getting no access2 module errors when trying to stream from TiVoWeb.
    Are we not there yet, or am I missing a key ingredient? Everything worked fine for me on VLC .0.8.4 on my old G5 iMac.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
    Just got an intel mac and downloaded the Intel version of VLC linked in this thread.
    I'm getting no access2 module errors when trying to stream from TiVoWeb.
    Are we not there yet, or am I missing a key ingredient? Everything worked fine for me on VLC .0.8.4 on my old G5 iMac.
    Right now the future of the vstream plugin for VLC is very much uncertain. Changes in the VLC architecture, beginning with 0.8.6, have made porting the plugin very difficult. Changes in 0.9.0 are even more pronounced. In addition, porting to the Mac specifically is problematic because of a change in the gcc compiler presets beginning in Tiger which requires a non-trivial rewrite of the code.

The original author of the vstream plugin, tx413, has been extremely supportive and helpful in the efforts to get the plugin ported over, but he no longer has a TiVo that he can use for testing, and his time is understandably limited. The VLC team has also been quite supportive (they committed the patches for S2 ty streams), but again, they don't have hacked TiVos at their disposal and they are busy preparing the latest VLC for beta release. My own coding skills (as far as C applications go) are limited to what I consider "advanced hacking".

If we want vstream support to continue in VLC, we need someone with access to a TiVo who can do real C coding. Alternatively, if someone would be willing to provide network access to their hacked TiVo for active testing, that may be of some help. (I would offer mine, but I don't think my wife would be very understanding if we couldn't catch "Desperate Housewives" or "Stargate: Atlantis" because our TiVo crashed while testing a VLC plugin. ) If you think you can help, please PM me and we can try to kickstart the project again.

- Stealth Dave

Thanks for the info Dave.

If you think you can help, please PM me and we can try to kickstart the project again.

- Stealth Dave
    I've PM'd you with an offer of a networked UK TiVo.
    Cheers

Derryck

I've PM'd you with an offer of a networked UK TiVo.
    There doesn't seem to be any interest in this offer
    Cheers

Derryck

If we want vstream support to continue in VLC, we need someone with access to a TiVo who can do real C coding. Alternatively, if someone would be willing to provide network access to their hacked TiVo for active testing, that may be of some help.
    I don't have any interest in vstream; it's the ty compatibility for the Mac VLC, both intel and PPC, that is my interest, but I would be happy to contribute a hacked DTivo series 2 and/or a hacked Tivo series 1 if either would be of any help to the VLC developers in general.

Right now the future of the vstream plugin for VLC is very much uncertain. Changes in the VLC architecture, beginning with 0.8.6, have made porting the plugin very difficult. Changes in 0.9.0 are even more pronounced.
    If we want vstream support to continue in VLC, we need someone with access to a TiVo who can do real C coding.
    - Stealth Dave
    StealthDave, any update on this situation?
    HR22-700, DSR704(6.2a), DSR7000(6.2a) w/killHDinitrd, superpatch(1.12), MRV, tivoserver, MFS_FTP, TivoWebPlus(2.1), TyShow, Hackman, tivocid, Tracker, ChannelPrefs, MovieLoader, TySuiteJ, MCE(HD), Xbox360, Jacket Themes, NoReRecord