Thread: Upgraded too quickly...might have a problem but fixable I think

Upgraded too quickly...might have a problem but fixable I think

Too sum up quickly, I installed a 250 GB HDD already upgraded to 7.1 which was installed in my first TCD540040 TiVo. My luck, unit was defective and Tivo replaced by sending me another unit.

First thing I did was crack open (Never even plugged it in) and I put the 250 GB HDD in the new unit realizing I had to do a clear and delete for it to work properly because I was getting the dreaded error message on not being able to record (Married to first unit).

All good so far but Media Access Key stayed at Temporarily Not Available and would not take the update on calling in. Everything works on the unit but TTG.

Reported to TiVo Support and they claimed it was a software glitch the engineers were working on and that my TiVo would correct itself by the end of the week. Well.....got a call back today and TiVo said they knew the unit HDD was replaced based on it calling in with 7.1 installed. I went through the setup option with 7.1 on the unit which is a no...no. All units ship with 5.3 and that's what should be on the HDD when it makes the initial call. They said they would replace again but cost me $80......stupid me I know. You don't need to say it. The tech didn't say if it was a HDD based problem that would fix the issue or it was the TiVo itself.

Anyway...I put the stock HDD back in and initialized the setup. I also requested the priority update to 7.1.

Question I have is

A) Is it just the 250 GB HDD you think that is screwed up based on what I did and won't take the Media Access Key update?

or

B) Did me putting in the 250 HDD mess the hardware up on the mobo so it won't take the Media Access Key update no matter what I do?

Oh....will I also be able to receive the 7.1 update? I never put in for the Priority Update on this second unit and my guess is that the updates will always work when the Tivo calls in. I just need to wait my turn per say.

If option B) is the case then I got no choice but to send the unit back to Tivo and cough up the $80 for my ignorance. Lesson learned.

I am hoping once the unit calls in and receives 7.1 with the stock drive I'll be back to normal.
    Last edited by JayM; 03-31-2005 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayM
    Too sum up quickly, I installed a 250 GB HDD already upgraded to 7.1 which was installed in my first TCD540040 TiVo. My luck, unit was defective and Tivo replaced by sending me another unit.

First thing I did was crack open (Never even plugged it in) and I put the 250 GB HDD in the new unit realizing I had to do a clear and delete for it to work properly because I was getting the dreaded error message on not being able to record (Married to first unit).

All good so far but Media Access Key stayed at Temporarily Not Available and would not take the update on calling in. Everything works on the unit but TTG.

Reported to TiVo Support and they claimed it was a software glitch the engineers were working on and that my TiVo would correct itself by the end of the week.
    WHY are you wasting their time diagnosing a problem YOU caused by tampering with the unit?

The problem is obvious: the headend thinks you should be at 5.3, but you have upgraded to 7.1 behind its back. You're lucky it works at all.

Moved to Newbie.

Alright alldeadhomiez...so will my option B) work and take the 7.1 update to get it fully functional again?

I am not sure how their servers work and the software updates. I assume no matter what that eventually their servers update all TiVo's that need updating when they call in regardless if the updated software was already sent to a certain unit before.

Then again this new unit never really took the 7.1 update so I would assume there would be no problem unless the techs flagged it to not send.

If nobody knows the answer here then I will have this answered on my own within a weeks time if/when I get the 7.1 update to see if MAK transfers.

I thought with all the knowledgable people here, someone would have good insight to this issue.

Thanks

I am not sure how their servers work and the software updates.
    Then you shouldn't have been switching SW versions on an SA in the first place.

I assume no matter what that eventually their servers update all TiVo's that need updating when they call in regardless if the updated software was already sent to a certain unit before.
    No matter what? Look up the "don't be a MORON" posts on TCF.

Then you shouldn't have been switching SW versions on an SA in the first place.
    I didn't realize the first unit loaded 7.1 on the 250 GB HDD. I thought it was still at 5.3 or else I wouldn't have done that. It must have taken the update the night before I unhooked it. Innocent mistake but hopefully not a costly one.

I guess I will see if it takes 7.1.

Looked for the "moron" post like you said at TCF and found what you were talking about. Yeah...I guess I fall under that category...doh! I guess I am lucky Tivo didn't cancel the service all-together.

alldeadhomiez or anyone else that ventures into this territory by ACCIDENT - it's all good now. Got 7.1 after requesting Priority Software update (took 3 days to receive), MAK now acknowledged in system info screen. Backed up image off stock HDD and then low level formatted my 250 GB to start from scratch. Loaded up backup and all good to go.

What the hell - I even added another 250 GB HDD for a total 571 hrs. 50 min.

alldeadhomiez or anyone else that ventures into this territory by ACCIDENT - it's all good now. Got 7.1 after requesting Priority Software update (took 3 days to receive), MAK now acknowledged in system info screen. Backed up image off stock HDD and then low level formatted my 250 GB to start from scratch. Loaded up backup and all good to go.

What the hell - I even added another 250 GB HDD for a total 571 hrs. 50 min.
    My only question: when are you going to have the time to watch 23 DAYS of TV?

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

My only question: when are you going to have the time to watch 23 DAYS of TV?
    Yeah...but this is utilizing the lowest quality recording setting. I always record at the highest and with 2 x 250 GB HDD's that's only 161 hrs of record time which is what the average Joe has in a DVR.