Thread: Problems restoring image to a new HD - please read

Problems restoring image to a new HD - please read

All,

I recently had to restore a backup of my original software on my Hughes DirecTV DVR model SD-DVR80. With help from the community I was able to get the commands down correctly and the unit works beautifully after powering up.

Flush with success I have decided to “experiment” with the load on a second 80 gig HD. To do this I did the following:

1) Created a primary FAT32 partition using Partition Magic and quick formatted.

2) Set my hardware configuration as follows: IDE 0 primary master is CDROM with MFSTOOLS 2.0, primary slave is 20G HD with backup image formatted FAT32. IDE 1 has only 80G HD as primary master.

3) I booted from the MFSTOOLS 2.0 CD

4) At the # prompt I typed in the following:

Mkdir /mnt/dos
    Mount /dev//hda1 mnt/dos
    Mfsrestore –s 127 –xzpi /mnt/dos/tivobackup.mfs /dev/hdc

This worked when backing up my original drive but did not work with the other 80 g HD. I received the message:

“Restore failed: Backup target not large enough for entire backup”

Could someone be so kind enough to explain why this would work on the original drive but not another 80G drive. I am very open to learning new things.

Thank you for your help.

depending on drive geometry, all 80 gig drives are not created equal.
    It might be just slightly smaller than the other drive.

OK that's one I'll have to consider. The origianl (stock factory load) software was a 350MB .mfs file. This alternate image is only about 157MB. Why would it not fit?
    Last edited by Dud; 03-31-2005 at 08:49 AM.

If you are restoring an image of an 80GB drive to another 80GB drive, then you need to leave off the "-s 127" parameters, otherwise the image will not fit. This info is straight from the "Hindsdale How To".
    Sony SVR3000 (322 hrs) with Lifetime
    TCD24004A (40 hrs) with Lifetime
    Manually updated to 9.3.1-01-2, All-In-One S2 utilities, Unofficial Superpatch-6789all, USB backport drivers, more to come...
    Series 3 Lite - unhacked (yet)...

Quote Originally Posted by Dud
    OK that's one I'll have to consider. The origianl (stock factory load) software was a 350MB .mfs file. This alternate image is only about 157MB. Why would it not fit?
    This is a common question, and the answer lies in the fact that we don't have any utility that can adjust the size of a MFS partition. If you make an image of an 80 Gig drive, it will be much smaller than 80 Gig, but whey you expand it, it expands to a full 80 Gig.

The only analogy I can come up with at this time is a tent. Imagine a 6' x 8' tent. When you pack it up it can be carried on your back. However, when you set it up, you will still require at least a 6' x 8' space. And cutting one end off so it will fit into a smaller space leaves you with something that doesn't keep the rain out.

Note that this may be changing. Tiger is working on an update of mftools, and one of the goals is the ability to resize an mf partition.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 03-31-2005 at 09:07 AM.
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

plainbill,

I have been reading your posts for a while and I have found them very informative. Leave it to you to associate a tent with this issue. I will try to remove the -s 127 from the last command and try again.

I was so hopefull that I could get this 2nd 80gig drive to work as an experimental drive, to try different mods without touch my known good drive. I even named the new drive "XTIVO".

Tomorrow i will be dropping the drive from an altitiude of 50,000 feet to study it's flight characterisitcs. Lol ..

I must also add that I am currently running sftware version 3.1.1e.

The only added ability I desire out of my unit is to transfer video for archiving.

After spending many hours reading posts and doing research I found a version 4.1.1b image that had been hacked via killihinitrd (spelling?).

Like I said the oly added functionality I need is the ability to grab and archive my fav videos.

Am I making this task much too complicated and is there an easier way?

Quote Originally Posted by Dud
    I must also add that I am currently running sftware version 3.1.1e.

The only added ability I desire out of my unit is to transfer video for archiving.

After spending many hours reading posts and doing research I found a version 4.1.1b image that had been hacked via killihinitrd (spelling?).

Like I said the oly added functionality I need is the ability to grab and archive my fav videos.

Am I making this task much too complicated and is there an easier way?
    Yes, you're making this too complicated. 3.1.1e can be hacked even more easily than 4.x insofar as extraction is concerned, since all you'd need to do is (1) apply a killhdinitrd'd 3.1.1c kernel, (2) enable networking (including drivers), (3) enable mfs_ftp, (4) disable encryption through patching tivoapp and (5) use tytool.