Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: Folders in Now Playing List.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    71

    Folders in Now Playing List.

    Okay,

    I have read that the folders are part of the software upgrade, but I thought that part of the hacking I did blocked the updating. Folders appeared on my list yesterday for the first time. I still have net access, and TiVoWebPlus, telnet, and FTP still all work.

    I am just wondering if the presence of these folders has undone any of my hacks, and what I need to do to replace them.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by mackaframa
    Okay,

    I have read that the folders are part of the software upgrade, but I thought that part of the hacking I did blocked the updating. Folders appeared on my list yesterday for the first time. I still have net access, and TiVoWebPlus, telnet, and FTP still all work.

    I am just wondering if the presence of these folders has undone any of my hacks, and what I need to do to replace them.

    Thanks
    F*cking hell, why does NO ONE know how to properly provide information when asking questions?
    1) What hardware are you running?
    2) What software version were you running? What version are you running now/

    Now, as to your point, I'm tempted to think you're just outright mistaken or lying, because there's no way (to my knowledge) for an upgrade to have been installed and NOT remove your hacks.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    F*cking hell, why does NO ONE know how to properly provide information when asking questions?
    1) What hardware are you running?
    2) What software version were you running? What version are you running now/

    Now, as to your point, I'm tempted to think you're just outright mistaken or lying, because there's no way (to my knowledge) for an upgrade to have been installed and NOT remove your hacks.
    Now exactly why would I LIE about a problem?


    Quote Originally Posted by mackaframa
    1. I have a Philips DSR-704 (40 GB Series 2 DTivo)
    2. I bought the S2 SA InstaCake CD from PTV and the Enhanced Boot Iso
    3. I pulled the image from the instacake cd and loaded it on a new 120 GB
    4. After not having success with this guide http://nh-gym.com/4xrid.htm , I did some searching and discover that I needed a 3.1.1c series2 kernel, and I had to killirdinitd it....
    5. After completing this, I got a USB200M, and telnet'd in and installed superpatch as instructed in the guide, and then I installed TiVoWebPlus.)

    My system has been up and running fine for about 3 months. About a month ago, my /var directory did get reset, but I reinstalled everything, and have been working fine every since...occasionally I lose telnet and ftp access, but after a restart they come back....

    I don't know if an update is installed at all, what I DO know is that as of yesterday, I have folders in my "Now Playing List" and I thought that was a function of new software.

    I did not check the version on the software, but...what I do know is that I still have:

    1. An active network connection (usb200m to dlink bridge to wireless router)
    2. Telnet access
    3. HMO options are still availible
    4. TiVoWebPlus still seems to work, I pulled up the "Now Playing List" though the ui gui, and it showed the programs (without folders), though I did not try to view or download any programs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    459
    Err, 4.x has always had folders. How silly of Druid to not search every post you've ever made to try and figure out what software version you have.
    There's no place like ~/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by AhoyMatey
    Err, 4.x has always had folders. How silly of Druid to not search every post you've ever made to try and figure out what software version you have.

    Well, I was pretty sure that the software hadn't been upgraded either, but any ideas how the folders just appeared? I mean, I've had the 4.x for 3 months, and have had as many as 10 episodes of the same program at once, and never saw folders before yesterday.

    And btw, I wasn't expecting him to search my posts, I was just to lazy to retype my configuration so I searched for it, and pasted it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by mackaframa
    Well, I was pretty sure that the software hadn't been upgraded either, but any ideas how the folders just appeared? I mean, I've had the 4.x for 3 months, and have had as many as 10 episodes of the same program at once, and never saw folders before yesterday.

    And btw, I wasn't expecting him to search my posts, I was just to lazy to retype my configuration so I searched for it, and pasted it.

    Does ANYONE else have access to your TiVo?
    Is it even POSSIBLE some one else turned them on? or YOU did without realizing it?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    459
    You probably accidentally hit the number 1 or 2 button on the remote while in Now Playing.
    There's no place like ~/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by mackaframa
    Well, I was pretty sure that the software hadn't been upgraded either, but any ideas how the folders just appeared? I mean, I've had the 4.x for 3 months, and have had as many as 10 episodes of the same program at once, and never saw folders before yesterday.

    And btw, I wasn't expecting him to search my posts, I was just to lazy to retype my configuration so I searched for it, and pasted it.
    You can turn folders on and off, and if I remember correctly they're off by default with 4.0 (to preserve the look-and-feel of prior versions and avoid confusing people just after the upgrade I suppose). The "1" and "2" buttons on the remote change options on the Now Showing list - one changes sort options, one turns folders on and off - I forget which one does which. You probably pressed it accidentally, causing folders to "appear".

    Matt

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by mcomer
    You can turn folders on and off, and if I remember correctly they're off by default with 4.0 (to preserve the look-and-feel of prior versions and avoid confusing people just after the upgrade I suppose). The "1" and "2" buttons on the remote change options on the Now Showing list - one changes sort options, one turns folders on and off - I forget which one does which. You probably pressed it accidentally, causing folders to "appear".

    Matt

    Thanks, it's good to know that I'm not lying

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by mackaframa
    Thanks, it's good to know that I'm not lying
    The Druid gave 2 options, 1 of them being you were mistaken.
    He didn't say you were a liar.
    Turns out you were mistaken.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by hayreass
    The Druid gave 2 options, 1 of them being you were mistaken.
    He didn't say you were a liar.
    Turns out you were mistaken.

    Yes, 2 options...I was mistaken, or lying.....which I was mistaken because I did not know folders were ALWAYS there, and neither did he. He claimed "mistaken" or "lying" not because I (or he) didn't know they were always there, but because there was something wrong with what I said in the post, which is incorrect. I was not mistaken in the fashion he stated, I was not lying, and I did not say that I definately had an upgrade, I simply wanted to know where the folders came from, and if any of my hacks were affected by their presence.

    I never claimed to be some exception to the rule that kept hacks through an upgrade, as his even mentioning the term "lying" would imply.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chebeague Island, Maine
    Posts
    812
    mackaframa, you got a raw deal. Druid, you've got to lighten up.

    Let's keep this a fun hobby, not a forum where only the brave dare to tread.
    David R. Hill............... TivoWeb Hack Manager
    Chebeague Island........From the land of champions:
    Casco Bay..................The Boston Red Sox
    Maine........................The New England Patriots
    58.5 gig HDR-112 since October, 2000
    240 gig, 306 hours since January, 2004 (same machine)
    120 gig DSR6000 DirecTiVo

    "There are 10 kinds of people -- those who count in binary and those who don't."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    577
    hahaha.. it's pretty freaking funny to see this guy get upset over Druid "calling him a liar" and not even knowing 4.0 had folders when you never told him you were running 4.0!! HA! Got some balls..

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by PortlandPaw
    mackaframa, you got a raw deal. Druid, you've got to lighten up.

    Let's keep this a fun hobby, not a forum where only the brave dare to tread.
    For the record: I was right, he was entirely mistaken about his situation. He was unaware of the prior existence of folders, and would have discovered the prior existence of folders if he'd simply looked at Tivo's own information on the 4.x software.

    Why did I suggest he might be lying? Partially because I was being ironic: implying, by the unliklihood of his lying, that his was almost certainly mistaken. The other part of my reason though was that he -might- have been lying. People have posted incorrect information to cover their own mistakes any number of time on these boards.

    I'm curious though as to what you mean by "raw deal"? The phrase, as I understand it, refers to where someone cheats, rips-off, or otherwise doesn't treat someone appropriate in a transaction. I gave him the right answer: he was mistaken. I post helping people almost every day, and while I most certainly cannot claim to have contributed code/software to this community, I do work to help people use those tools others provide. You've been here longer than I have, and posted more than I have, but I have no idea about the content of your posts. However I'm not going to do what you did, and assume anything negative. I'm not going to assume you've been anything less than helpful to others. You, on the other hand, did make that assumption about me.

    I think this hobby is fun so long as people don't disrupt it. People posting inadequate info, misleading info, asking redundant questions, etc. all disrupt it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chebeague Island, Maine
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    F*cking hell, why does NO ONE know how to properly provide information when asking questions?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    [raw deal means]..or otherwise doesn't treat someone appropriate
    Which part of your first quote is treating mackaframa appropriate?

    I'm not saying you're not correct in your assertions, only that you could make your point without resorting to profanity and insults.

    Your help is certainly appreciated by those who avail themselves of your expertise. Just be a little more patient with those who haven't learned all the tricks of answering questions by themselves and/or asking questions of others. That's all I'm saying.
    David R. Hill............... TivoWeb Hack Manager
    Chebeague Island........From the land of champions:
    Casco Bay..................The Boston Red Sox
    Maine........................The New England Patriots
    58.5 gig HDR-112 since October, 2000
    240 gig, 306 hours since January, 2004 (same machine)
    120 gig DSR6000 DirecTiVo

    "There are 10 kinds of people -- those who count in binary and those who don't."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •