Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Thread: Folders in Now Playing List.

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinkdiff
    hahaha.. it's pretty freaking funny to see this guy get upset over Druid "calling him a liar" and not even knowing 4.0 had folders when you never told him you were running 4.0!! HA! Got some balls..
    Look...I did not know I had folders up until yesterday. Their presence is something that I have not even seen mentioned about 4.x. The only reason why I even know that the folders exist, is because I know that DirecTv has recently "upgraded" DTiVo users to a new software version, but the only feature that they turned on is folders. I thought momentarily that I had received this update somehow when I saw the folders....but I immediately checked my network connections, my HMO options, telnet, and TiVoWeb, and they all still worked.

    Then I came here, looked through all the recent Newbie threads, and the recent Series 2 threads to see if this had happened to anyone else recently, and what they did to fix it.

    I then did a search on "folders" and found the same info about the DTV upgrade, and THEN I made my post.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    577
    Besides all that, you failed to do the most obvious thing.. Knowing and posting what software version you are currently running. That is, perhaps, the most important part of information needed to diagnose a problem..

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    938
    Then I'd feel pretty confident in saying you do not read enough before posting questions.
    It's all but impossible to do any research on 4.x and not encounter anything about folders.
    I went and checked, some of the very threads you have posted in mention folders, and that folders are the main/only reason some folks change to 4.x software.
    Especially folks with only 1 TiVo.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by hayreass
    Then I'd feel pretty confident in saying you do not read enough before posting questions.
    It's all but impossible to do any research on 4.x and not encounter anything about folders.
    I went and checked, some of the very threads you have posted in mention folders, and that folders are the main/only reason some folks change to 4.x software.
    I agree...

    I found this post, this post, this post, this post, this post, this post, this post, this post, this post, this post, and this post, all clearly stating that 4.x has folders, before I stopped looking.

    -psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by PortlandPaw
    Which part of your first quote is treating mackaframa appropriate?

    I'm not saying you're not correct in your assertions, only that you could make your point without resorting to profanity and insults.

    Your help is certainly appreciated by those who avail themselves of your expertise. Just be a little more patient with those who haven't learned all the tricks of answering questions by themselves and/or asking questions of others. That's all I'm saying.
    Which part is appropriate? The part chastising him for not asking questions properly. This forum at last check has literally dozens of posts from just the past month, wherein a newbie asks a question w/o providing adequate information, and is then chastised for doing so. I'm sorry, but at a certain point you have to expect a little personal accountability. When you're a newcomer to any situation, it is unreasonable of you to opt to post first, and then read other posters second. What new people SHOULD do is read the boards a bit, and understand the ground rules better before posting.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by hayreass
    Then I'd feel pretty confident in saying you do not read enough before posting questions.
    It's all but impossible to do any research on 4.x and not encounter anything about folders.
    I went and checked, some of the very threads you have posted in mention folders, and that folders are the main/only reason some folks change to 4.x software.
    Especially folks with only 1 TiVo.
    I didn't choose 4.x software for folders, I chose it because I found its use on my particular model to be common among people here, and (for the most part) issue free. In fact, I have the same exact model that the 4.x on RID Guide is based on.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by mackaframa
    I didn't choose 4.x software for folders, I chose it because I found its use on my particular model to be common among people here, and (for the most part) issue free. In fact, I have the same exact model that the 4.x on RID Guide is based on.
    And in the very 1st page of that support thread it is mentioned by The Only Druid himself that folders are a part of 4.0.1b.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    Which part is appropriate? The part chastising him for not asking questions properly. This forum at last check has literally dozens of posts from just the past month, wherein a newbie asks a question w/o providing adequate information, and is then chastised for doing so. I'm sorry, but at a certain point you have to expect a little personal accountability. When you're a newcomer to any situation, it is unreasonable of you to opt to post first, and then read other posters second. What new people SHOULD do is read the boards a bit, and understand the ground rules better before posting.
    I didn't post first, as I said above, I manually searched threads in 2 forums, and then I used the search feature to see if anyone else had the folders just appear, THEN I asked.

    I know how forums works, must I list EVERYTHING I've done before every question I asked just to appease some judgmental azzhole? I research all the time, I find help here on my own, and I post as a last resort.

    Sure, I may miss seemly obvious things at times, but don't act like this place is some highly maintained database where EVERY answer you'll find is in the proper spot, correct, and up to date.

    Take a look at my posts, I have asked very specific questions after (at times) hours of trying to shift through pages of threads, with hundreds of posts, at times chocked full of flames from people like yourself who would much rather show some bull$hit indignance about how some question or how it is asked, is somehow beneath them.

    I understand that a lot of people ask dumb questions, I do not think I am one of them. I DO diligently try to find my answer without asking, for no reason other than to avoid flaming from people who think that they're God's gift to TiVo hacking

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by hayreass
    And in the very 1st page of that support thread it is mentioned by The Only Druid himself that folders are a part of 4.0.1b.
    Yes....and I am not saying that I did not read that, because I did...obiviously, it did not sink it, I gave my rationale above for the reason that I thought I did not have folders. (The new DTV upgrade)

    This thread is why I assumed that I didn't already have folders, and that folders is al I'd be missing out on by NOT going to 6.2

    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ht=DTV+upgrade

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by mackaframa
    Yes....and I am not saying that I did not read that, because I did...obiviously, it did not sink it, I gave my rationale above for the reason that I thought I did not have folders. (The new DTV upgrade)

    This thread is why I assumed that I didn't already have folders, and that folders is al I'd be missing out on by NOT going to 6.2

    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ht=DTV+upgrade
    You know what hurts about that? This. After it was requested in that thread that someone collect all that information in order to make it easier to absorb, I worked through all the available information on 6.2 and collected it to make it easier for more casual readers of the board to find the answer to their questions. I then linked to it in the original thread, and several of us talked about it further there.

    What's the FIRST thing I say in the page I just linked to (my collected info page)?

    This:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    1) What is 6.2? What systems can it be installed on? What kernel version is running in 6.2?

    6.2 is DirecTivo software version that is the next step for DTivos from 3.1.1e. It includes the folders that were introduced in 4.x, as well apparently including HMO features within the software although not activating them for users. This means that while the HMO code is in there, or at least appears to be, it is NOT activated at this point. The guide speed is faster than 4.x/3.x.
    Frankly, I find it highly disheartening that you didn't read the second sentence in the first paragraph, which clearly states that folders were introduced in 4.x. I say you didn't read it, because there's no way you actually read those words but somehow didn't understand them. They're as clear as english gets.

    Want to know why I was short in the first post? Because those of us who work at helping other people understand would appreciate it if people did their fair of work before asking questions. That includes, among other things, reading threads like mine that collect a vast number of questions together and answer them clearly.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chebeague Island, Maine
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    Which part is appropriate? The part chastising him for not asking questions properly.
    So what this really comes down to is a debate concerning whether or not we should be civil to each other and treat each other with respect.

    This board already has a reputation as the "unfriendly forum" and I guess you would prefer to keep that characterization accurate. Your justification that "he had it coming to him" didn't cut it on the playground and shouldn't cut it here, either.

    I, too, get frustrated by less-than-intelligent questions and I've been known to give "RTFM" replies, but I try to do so nicely.

    Please remember that the person asking the ***** question today may be the one answering the impossible question a year from now...unless you drive him away in the meantime.

    EDIT: Interesting censorship...that "*****" replaced a word in common daily usage, not obscene at all, which refers to a person of sub-standard intelligence. Didn't want anyone to think I wasn't practicing what I'm preaching.
    Last edited by PortlandPaw; 04-01-2005 at 02:02 PM.
    David R. Hill............... TivoWeb Hack Manager
    Chebeague Island........From the land of champions:
    Casco Bay..................The Boston Red Sox
    Maine........................The New England Patriots
    58.5 gig HDR-112 since October, 2000
    240 gig, 306 hours since January, 2004 (same machine)
    120 gig DSR6000 DirecTiVo

    "There are 10 kinds of people -- those who count in binary and those who don't."

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by mackaframa
    I know how forums works, must I list EVERYTHING I've done before every question I asked just to appease some judgmental azzhole? I research all the time, I find help here on my own, and I post as a last resort.
    You gotta be kidding me...

    You didn't even mention what version you were last running, or what version you got "upgraded" to. Much less check the logs or take any of the other necessary steps listed in the mini-FAQ sticky.

    If you got a rude response, it should have come as no surprise. Consider yourself lucky you got a response at all, after ignoring the posting guidelines and writing an extremely vague description of the problem.

    Moved to Sewer.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by mackaframa
    I am just wondering if the presence of these folders has undone any of my hacks, and what I need to do to replace them.
    Your question may have been answered so forgive the possible redundancy, but I won't read the rest of this thread because at first glance it seems full of sewer stuff.

    It sounds like you've installed OS 4.0.x on your DTivo? That OS includes the folders feature, which is turned off by default, so you never noticed it. It's likely that folders feature simply got turned on. That could have been done by someone explicitly toggling it in the Now Playing Options menu, or simply hitting the "2" key while the Now Playing list was being displayed.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    You know what hurts about that? This. After it was requested in that thread that someone collect all that information in order to make it easier to absorb, I worked through all the available information on 6.2 and collected it to make it easier for more casual readers of the board to find the answer to their questions. I then linked to it in the original thread, and several of us talked about it further there.

    What's the FIRST thing I say in the page I just linked to (my collected info page)?

    This:


    Frankly, I find it highly disheartening that you didn't read the second sentence in the first paragraph, which clearly states that folders were introduced in 4.x. I say you didn't read it, because there's no way you actually read those words but somehow didn't understand them. They're as clear as english gets.

    Of course, but I read the original thread, before you compiled your info and linked to it.


    Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    Want to know why I was short in the first post? Because those of us who work at helping other people understand would appreciate it if people did their fair of work before asking questions. That includes, among other things, reading threads like mine that collect a vast number of questions together and answer them clearly.

    But I had no interest at all in 6.2, and I dropped the whole notion when I found out that folders was the only plus, and if you read the ORIGINAL thread, I do not believe that the fact tha 4.x already had folders was mentioned THERE, it may have been later, but again, I read that thread early on, and dismissed the whole subject because I could care less about folders.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    You gotta be kidding me...

    You didn't even mention what version you were last running, or what version you got "upgraded" to. Much less check the logs or take any of the other necessary steps listed in the mini-FAQ sticky.

    If you got a rude response, it should have come as no surprise. Consider yourself lucky you got a response at all, after ignoring the posting guidelines and writing an extremely vague description of the problem.

    Moved to Sewer.
    I did not make the comment to excuse myself from not posting a software version, I understand that I made a mistake there. I made that comment to show that just because my question seemed simple, does not mean that I didn't spend a significant amount of time trying to find the answer BEFORE i decided to post.

    I always look first. Often, I prefer looking because it provides the most immediate answer. If you review my posts, you'll see that I have answer a few questions that I posted (after searching), and never received answer for.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •