Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: bufferhack 4.x Support Thread

According to a couple posts on the forum lately, there seems to be a consensus that bufferhack causes some issues on new systems (my box would randomly completely hang when changing channels after a couple days). I haven't had the problem since upgrading to 11.0j. Anybody in the future that uses it for a few days, does bufferhack still have issues on 11.0j?

Hi All,

I am currently working on getting bufferhack to work on the Australian TiVo's as we just recently got upgraded to 11.3b4.

Since our recent update we no longer have enough space for another tivoapp on the / partition. So I have had to make some modifications to the script to put the backup into /var.

I was just wanting some confirmation here about a change I made to bufferhack to make sure I wont kill my TiVo. The last thing I would want to do is have to pull the drive out to recover tivoapp.

Original code
    Code:
    puts_txt "Backing up current tivoapp to tivoapp.bufferhack.backup.." 0 
    set cmd "mv /tvbin/tivoapp /tvbin/tivoapp.bufferhack.backup"
    $do { catch {exec sh -c $cmd} res}
    $do {cp /tvbin/tivoapp.bufferhack.backup /tvbin/tivoapp}
    My changes here where the tivoapp is backed up and then restored
    Code:
    $do {mkdir /var/hack}
    $do {mkdir /var/hack/tivoapp-patching}
    set cmd "mv /tvbin/tivoapp /var/hack/tivoapp-patching/tivoapp.bufferhack.backup"
    $do {cp /var/hack/tivoapp-patching/tivoapp.bufferhack.backup /tvbin/tivoapp}
    I know tivoapp is the primary application being run on the TiVo and copying to another partition takes a little longer. Will moving the tivoapp while it is running have potential to crash the TiVo?

Thanks

I don't think your 3rd command will work... the mv command, when moving files between drives, basically does a "cp" and then a "rm" on the original file. It will fail trying to remove the original file from the root partition.

If there's no space on the root partition to have 2 copies at the same time, you're going to have to get creative to move it there (symlink to /var partition on one reboot, then move it over, then reboot - maybe?).

Edit: Just doing some tests on my linux box, and I may be mistaken. It seems Linux has no problem deleting a file currently in use, I'm just not sure how stable the TiVo will be once it's main binary has gone missing. I guess if you restart soon enough after the move, it shouldn't cause a problem.
    Last edited by Thinkdiff; 01-30-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Maybe I should just use this command which worked perfectly when I was patching tivoapp with other patches

Code:
    mv -i /tvbin/tivoapp /var/hack/tivoapp-patching/tivoapp-orig && cp -pi /var/hack/tivoapp-patching/tivoapp-orig /tvbin/tivoapp
    Edit: Ok I went ahead and did it with the following and it worked reasonably well

Code:
    $do {mkdir /var/hack}
    $do {mkdir /var/hack/tivoapp-patching}
    set cmd "mv -i /tvbin/tivoapp /var/hack/tivoapp-patching/tivoapp.bufferhack.backup && cp -pi /var/hack/tivoapp-patching/tivoapp.bufferhack.backup /tvbin/tivoapp"
    The only part that didn't work were the lines creating the /var/hack and /var/hack/tivoapp-patching directories as they already existed which caused the script to halt. Is there a way to modify the above commands creating the directories so that if they already exist they don't halt the script?

Removing the directory creation lines made the patch work perfectly but I would like a foolproof version to give to other Australian TiVo modders.

Edit Edit: I found the solution which is the -p command. Also for some reason I was missing the exec command too.

So now the new section of code which keeps stuff out of the smaller partition is

Code:
    $do {exec mkdir -p /var/hack/tivoapp-patching}
    set cmd "mv -i /tvbin/tivoapp /var/hack/tivoapp-patching/tivoapp.bufferhack.backup && cp -pi /var/hack/tivoapp-patching/tivoapp.bufferhack.backup /tvbin/tivoapp"
    Thanks all... I have included my updated bufferhack if anyone wants it.
    Last edited by pdd; 01-30-2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: More information

Need help with crash after running pdd's version of bufferhack, bufferhack11j.tcl.

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a problem with one of my two tivos when running pdd's version of bufferhack, bufferhack11j.tcl. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be helpful.

Both Tivos are series 2, monte'd running Jamie's custom kernel. The bedroom Tivo is running 9.3.2 and the family room is running 9.3.2b.

I ran pdd's bufferhack without issue on the bedroom tivo, 9.3.2, other than that I noticed buferhack was unable to remount / as read only. I synced several times and waited about 30 min before I rebooted. Everything worked out fine.

When I ran bufferhack on the family room tivo, 9.3.2b, it appeared to work and exit fine, again being unable to remount / as read only. But this time I had less patience and rebooted after a sync and maybe 2 minutes time. During the reboot the tivo would hang at "Starting TvLauncher", never getting to the next message "Waiting for launcher to start." Since I had a bash prompt, and had backed up tivoapp myself ahead of time, I went ahead and restored the original tivoapp, by copying it back to /tvbin, and rebooted. I also ran e2fsck on the root partition and fixed all the errors. This tivo now boots and runs fine, but when I try to run the bufferhack on it, it crashes without the bufferhack script giving any output, only output from the tivo regarding the crash. After the crash the reboot is successful, though bufferhack is not installed and has not modified or backed up any files. This is the output I get:

assert: Tmk Assertion Failure:
    assert: FsAllocateFunctionInternal, line 215 ()
    Tmk Fatal Error: Thread tivosh <406> strayed!
    Paste the following into a shell to get a backtrace...

bt -t /tvbin/tivoapp <<END_OF_BT
    tcd 1
    hpk Series2
    build b-9-3-2-mr @328106 2009.03.23-1032 release-mips []
    pack 9.3.2b-01-2
    read 0x00400000 /tvbin/tivoapp
    read 0x02000000 /lib/libc.so.6
    read 0x02200000 /lib/libm.so.6
    read 0x02400000 /lib/libpthread.so.0
    read 0x02600000 /lib/libutil.so.1
    read 0x02800000 /lib/libtvutil.so
    read 0x02a00000 /lib/libtmk.so
    read 0x02c00000 /lib/libtvstructures.so
    read 0x2aaa8000 /lib/ld.so.1
    read 0x2ab04000 /platform/lib/libmp3dec.so
    read 0x2ab54000 /platform/lib/libcdsassetsentinelasf.so
    read 0x2ab98000 /platform/lib/libmomcds.so
    read 0x2abdc000 /platform/lib/libmomasf.so
    read 0x2ac20000 /platform/lib/libhpkhl.so
    read 0x2acd8000 /lib/libhpkoss.so
    read 0x2ad24000 /platform/lib/libhpkll.so
    read 0x2ad68000 /lib/librt.so.1
    read 0x2adbc000 /lib/libdl.so.2
    0x02a86838 0x0068df40 0x006f45c8 0x02a59b40 0x02a4d6f4 0x02a52dd8 0x02a5cad8
    0x00e15ea8 0x00e15b58 0x006cd004 0x007553f4 0x0201455c
    END_OF_BT

Tmk Fatal Error: Thread tivosh <406>: assertion failure
    flushing ide devices: hda
    Restarting system.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. As I'm reviewing this post I'm realizing that I might start by looking at line 215 of the bufferhack script, if I am interpreting the error output correctly. So I will look at that and check back for replies.

Thanks,
    Douglas