Thread: Success, but one question

Success, but one question

I have successfully hacked my TCD140060 SA2 tivo Here is what I have done.

Manually updated kernel to a 4.0 killhdinitrd version. Installed and configured the following - bash, telnet, mfs_ftp, tivowebplus, vserver, patched with nutkase superpatch for all. I have successfully extracted and converted to dvd with tytools. I can say that this forum and the people in it are very helpful. I really never asked any questions. If you read just like they say you will find the answer. I cant seem to find one answer though. This is a standalone unit, how can I get the guide data without getting updates to my software. I would hate to have my setup broken by an update. I did see in a post were they added some ip routes to prevent from calling home, but will this still give me guide data? If I missed this in a post please let me know. Oh and please all the people just getting started, make a backup before you make any mods. It cant be stressed enough. I actually made 4. One is how the tivo came when I got it (not new), one is after activation. Both are on a hard drive and cd. Thanks everyone who has taken the time to find all the answers and post them.

#!/bin/bash
    PATH=/bin:/sbin:/hacks:/tivobin:/tvbin
    TIVO_ROOT=
    MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    IGNOREEOF=1000
    export PATH TIVO_ROOT MFS_DEVICE IGNOREEOF
    echo Turning off firewall ... >& /dev/console
    [ -x /etc/netfilter-disable ] && /etc/netfilter-disable
    echo Enabling telnet daemon ... >& /dev/console
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login >& /dev/console &
    echo Enabling ftp daemon ... >& /dev/console
    tivoftpd &
    echo Starting vserver ... >& /dev/console
    vserver &
    echo Starting mfs_ftp .. >& /dev/console
    /hacks/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl

# Call the Tivo Package Manager Startup Scripts
    /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.tpm
    Last edited by 89SupraT; 04-24-2005 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 89SupraT
    This is a standalone unit, how can I get the guide data without getting updates to my software. I would hate to have my setup broken by an update.
    You can't block the call home. You need to call for the guide data. Just ensure that you've passed the 'upgradesoftware=false' parameter in your bootpage and you'll download the next update but it won't install itself and you can control when you want to take the update.

Control means you can still take the update if you want and when you want.

#!/bin/bash
    TIVO_ROOT=
    MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    IGNOREEOF=1000
    echo Turning off firewall ... >& /dev/console
    [ -x /etc/netfilter-disable ] && /etc/netfilter-disable
    echo Enabling telnet daemon ... >& /dev/console
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login >& /dev/console &
    echo Enabling ftp daemon ... >& /dev/console
    tivoftpd &
    echo Starting vserver ... >& /dev/console
    vserver &
    echo Starting mfs_ftp .. >& /dev/console

# Call the Tivo Package Manager Startup Scripts
    /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.tpm
    I guess that's your .author? Well, a few comments...

You don't actually need all those echo statements and definitely don't need the >&/dev/console's.

IOW, it could look nice and clean like this:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    TIVO_ROOT=
    MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    IGNOREEOF=1000
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    tivoftpd
    vserver
    Since you are turning off tivo's firewall on every boot just rename the /etc/nefilter-enable file to something else and omit that command.

All of the programs you're starting background themselves (except, I think vserver needs to remain open.)

If you are not hard up on having the computer 'talk' to you during boot you don't need to 'echo' starting everything. You can assume it starts if you don't see a error running .author message.

Also, personally I'd move the tnlited command to the last line of my rc.sysinit or somewhere else that you don't edit often, so in the case of a typo, a program not backgrounding and taking over your tivo access, or a failure to chmod etc... you'll still have telnet to fix things.

Hey, what you have is fine I just wanted you to know that all that wasn't necessary if you didn't already.

Did I say that .tpm suxs? Oh, I did now .

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 04-24-2005 at 10:18 PM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

thanks nutkase. i am up on any info to make things better looking or cleaner.

ok now i have a question. i dont want to blow up my setup.

if i am going to update the bootpage and my root drive is hda7 and i dont have a serial port for a console then would this be my command if the hdd is out of the tivo.

./bootpage –P “root=/dev/hda7 upgradesoftware=false” –C "/dev/hdc"

i used tpip to update my kernel so there is no sleeper scripts. I did it all manually so I dont need to flip my bootpage right?
    Last edited by 89SupraT; 04-25-2005 at 12:18 AM.

if i am going to update the bootpage and my root drive is hda7 and i dont have a serial port for a console then would this be my command if the hdd is out of the tivo.

./bootpage –P “root=/dev/hda7 upgradesoftware=false” –C "/dev/hd c "
    When updating the 'bootpage parameters' all you need to do is specify the ENTIRE bootpage again. Like:

bootpage –P “root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false” –C /dev/hdc

Note: This is for a Series2 that has /dev/hda7 as the active root partition, AND, while the drive is installed in a pc as 'Secondary Master' and NOT in the tivo.

'-C' isn't required if doing it on the tivo.

NOTE: /dev/hdc equals 'Secondary Master' or /dev/hdc. You mentioned /dev/hdd (I've bolded it 'AND ADDED UNECESSARY SPACES' above) which equals 'Secondary Slave' or /dev/hdd.

Your command MAY be:

bootpage –P “root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false” –C /dev/hdd

If you don't understand that you need to read more.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 04-25-2005 at 02:40 AM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

call succeeded, but no guide data

I am having trouble getting guide data. I recently hacked my S2SA and everything worked as planned. The problem is that after two weeks my tivo has run out of guide data and won't get more. It calls in and says that it succeeded, goes through a short processing mode and then says done but i have not received new guide data. If I have received it my tivo isn't accepting it for some reason. Anyone have any ideas? I have upgradesoftware=false in my bootpage. I am not sure what else I can check/do to force my tivo to take new guide data. My DirecTivo which I hacked in the same manner is fine because it takes the guide data off the satellite. I do not have the SA tivo's network blocked because I know it need to call home to get the guide data, now i just need it to take it!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbolter
    I am having trouble getting guide data. I recently hacked my S2SA and everything worked as planned. The problem is that after two weeks my tivo has run out of guide data and won't get more. It calls in and says that it succeeded, goes through a short processing mode and then says done but i have not received new guide data. If I have received it my tivo isn't accepting it for some reason. Anyone have any ideas? I have upgradesoftware=false in my bootpage. I am not sure what else I can check/do to force my tivo to take new guide data. My DirecTivo which I hacked in the same manner is fine because it takes the guide data off the satellite. I do not have the SA tivo's network blocked because I know it need to call home to get the guide data, now i just need it to take it!!
    What software version are you running? If it's < 7.1, it's possible tivo is blocking guide updates for units running obsolete software versions now. /var/log/tverr,tvlog and tclient might reveal the issue. What happens when you force a call, does it succeed or fail? Is your unit in a "Pending Restart" state?

4.01b, s2sa image from PTVugrade. doubt they are blocking this since this is what a ton of people are using... and yes, from the quote that you posted in your reply, i've said that it calls in and succeeds, then processes for a short while then is done. but i have no new guide data. it is not in a pending restart state, and i have set softwareupgrade=false in the bootpage. i've looked at those logs now and i'm not sure what i'm looking for exactly.

tverr is empty.

here is the end of tclient:
    May 3 23:12:16 (none) comm[120]: CommUtil: connection to host 204.176.49.2, port 80, err 0x0
    May 3 23:12:17 (none) comm[120]: No Mercury Response found
    May 3 23:12:17 (none) comm[120]: Dropping Broadband network reservation
    May 3 23:12:20 (none) tcphonehome[120]: CallService return status 0x0
    May 3 23:27:24 (none) comm[120]: CallStatusReporter: SetFNetworkCall(0)
    May 3 23:27:24 (none) comm[120]: Backdoor code 4, enable calls via broadband
    May 3 23:27:24 (none) comm[120]: CallStatusReporter: SetFNetworkCall(1)
    May 3 23:27:24 (none) comm[120]: EtherBroadband: 1, EtherDebug: 0, networkCall: 1
    May 3 23:27:24 (none) comm[120]: Sending Broadband UpRequest
    May 3 23:27:24 (none) comm[116]: received an UP_RESPONSE
    May 3 23:27:24 (none) comm[120]: Result of UpRequest is 1
    May 3 23:27:24 (none) comm[120]: SvcLogRqst: rename failed (/var/log/merclog probably doesn't exist
    ) skipping
    May 3 23:27:24 (none) comm[120]: CommUtil: connection to host 204.176.49.2, port 80, err 0x0
    May 3 23:27:24 (none) comm[120]: No Mercury Response found
    May 3 23:27:24 (none) comm[120]: Dropping Broadband network reservation
    May 3 23:27:27 (none) tcphonehome[120]: CallService return status 0x0

i have attached my tvlog

please help!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jbolter; 05-03-2005 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbolter
    4.01b, s2sa image from PTVugrade. doubt they are blocking this since this is what a ton of people are using...
    That's not the current software version for S2SA (7.1a or b is) and I would expect that at some point tivo is going to drop guide support for it. That day may have come now. Tivo is not particularly concerned about maintaining compatibility with hacked tivo's that have been forced to run an obsolete software version.

You might want to read this post.

Editing an old post won't mark the post as a "New Post" and is less likely to elicit a quick response.

The tclient and Otclient logs probably have the most useful info. Look for /var/packages/PG in these logs and you likely find the region where the program guide data is downloaded and loaded into MFS. If you do this right after a forced call, it should be near the end of the tclient log.

The program guide data is encrypted. I'm wondering if you don't have the right crypto key. This could be a issue due to your obsolete software version, or it might be something else. Did you do a clear and delete everything? I'm not sure that failing to do that would cause these symptoms; just guessing.
    Last edited by Jamie; 05-03-2005 at 11:15 PM.

I did a clear and delete all and was able to download the initial guide information. after the two weeks ran out it is out of info, so i'm just guessing that it may not have ever got more info after the initial call. i will take a look at the logs and see if they show me anythign.