Thread: Question about a mfsrestore image

Question about a mfsrestore image

I have been fooling around with a copy of my orig Tivo drive (recordings and all), and want to restore it to the way it was before I started fooling with it.

Will using mfsrestore replace the kernel to orig, and restore the file system to the way it was before I started with it? I.E. no hack folder, or busybox folder, or any other folder I may have made?

My goal is to eventually use Unscramble to get my recorded (before hacked) shows off, and I don't really want to do ANOTHER full backup, so leaving the recordings on there is important. But at the moment, I'm working on replacing the kernel, getting bash. Then to Monte and using the Unscramble Kernel.

I learn better by doing rather than trying to read and get it all figured out. Especially when so much info I find while reading is either spread out all over the place in pieces, or wrong and corrected later somewhere else. Keeping track of what hack is working and not working on a newer software version (I have 6.2 installed from D*) gets tough when you haven't figured out how to hack it in the first place.

You guys have so much info, and the learning curve is pretty steep for someone who has no linux, and very little DOS experience. But I am started to get alot better grasp on things, and I am confident I will get what I want done.

One last thing, I know many of you don't like the guides that are out there and available, but to someone who is just getting started like myself, they really do something that searching posts doesn't always do, they can teach a newbie like myself, the order of the procedures that need to be taken to do what we want to do. Searching the posts usually will just give us the info on how to do each procedure. The 4.x +RID installation guide has helped me most of all to see the order of procedures, and I am now trying to apply it to hacking my 6.2 drive. I don't want to be handheld through this, I want to learn it, but like I said, the learning curve is pretty steep here.

Anyways, thanks for all the info you guys have given me so far. I have a long way to go, and am sure I'll have more questions about things in the future.

If you made a backup image of the Tivo prior to hacking it then you can simply restore it and return your Tivo to "virgin" status (i.e., unhacked). If you don't have a backup of the original Tivo drive then you can try the image begging thread to see if anyone will take pity on you and supply you with an image. You can also try any of the peer-to-peer networks like kazaa or emule to obtain a backup image. You can also purchase one from ptvupgrade for $20 that's specific to your make and model of Tivo.

The best advice I can offer for getting started is to read through all of the sticky threads, especially the ones in the newbies section. Once you've got the basics down then branch out to more specific areas of interest such as the series 2 stickys and the extraction section.
    Last edited by captain_video; 04-30-2005 at 09:45 PM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I made a full backup of my original drive with shows and everything, then made a mfsbackup of the orig as well. The Virgin drive is still virgin, and I won't be doing anything to that one.

I am about to mfsrestore to the copied drive now, and then I'll fool around more with trying to get it hacked. Everything I will be working with has 6.2 on it installed from DTV.

The one in the Tivo at the moment is running 4.0.1b, so I'll have time to work on hacking the 6.2.

As far as the stickys go, I've read most already, and I'll keep reading them till I get it down.

An mfsrestore will not erase the recorded shows off on the drive though correct?
    Last edited by slickrick2000; 04-30-2005 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slickrick2000
    I made a full backup of my original drive with shows and everything, then made a mfsbackup of the orig as well. The Virgin drive is still virgin, and I won't be doing anything to that one.

I am about to mfsrestore to the copied drive now, and then I'll fool around more with trying to get it hacked. Everything I will be working with has 6.2 on it installed from DTV.

The one in the Tivo at the moment is running 4.0.1b, so I'll have time to work on hacking the 6.2.

As far as the stickys go, I've read most already, and I'll keep reading them till I get it down.

An mfsrestore will not erase the recorded shows off on the drive though correct?
    Better do a lot more reading before you get yourself in trouble. mfsrestore erases EVERYTHING on the drive and replaces it with the contents of the image being restored. This includes recordings.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Better do a lot more reading before you get yourself in trouble. mfsrestore erases EVERYTHING on the drive and replaces it with the contents of the image being restored. This includes recordings.

PlainBill
    Yep, it sure did. No problem though, thats why I used a backup.

Guess I have to wait for the 10+ hour full copy again before I can start workiing on it again.