Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TyStreamer 2.0 beta 1 - VLC edition

TyStreamer 2.0 FINAL Release - VLC edition

For the history on TyStreamer, see here, here, and here.

UPDATE! - TyStreamer 2.0 FINAL is officially released! Changes include:
    • simpler to kill streaming, better stream detection
    • audio issues with WMP fixed (thanks to tmembrino)
    • stream-size drop-down fixed
    • minor usability updates

Please note that due to issues with the Mac OS X build of VLC, OS X is currently not supported. We hope to fix this issue with a special build of VLC for the Mac, but this is still in development.

--
    Time for a new beta! This time, it's based on tx413's extremely versatile VLC modules for the VideoLAN project's VideoLAN Client. This has numerous advantages over the previous approaches that I've taken:
    • No funky patched MPlayer / MEncoder installations; just drop in the VLC modules!
    • Streaming and encoding is all done by VLC. This resolves all of the previous server incompatibility issues. TyStreamer should now work anywhere that PHP does!
    • No BASH shell requirements or temporary files required for stream control. This means fewer application and permission requirements.
    • Smaller code base to maintain
    • Should work with older PHP installations (4.2.0 and higher)
    • WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER support!!!

And most importantly...it really works!!!

Yes, I've made this claim before, but this time it's true! I've tested on Windows and Linux servers with Windows, Mac, and Linux clients, and it works like a charm! There are a few kinks to work out, though. Hence the "beta" distinction:
    • No sound - yes, this is a big one, and I can't seem to figure out what's going on here. I get no sound when I try to stream MP3 audio with the video, regardless of the server. I can get sound using VLC client with MP2 audio (set acodec to mpga), but that really confuses WMP. This is probably the biggest hurdle to a non-beta release
    • Mac OS X as a server has permission issues. For some reason, Mac's Apache is not allowed to launch vlc. Don't know why, it's just not.

In addition to those bugs, there are also "features" that we'll all just have to live with
    • Streams start playing from beginning to end; no pausing, stopping, rewind or fast-forward. This is the price of WMP compatibility. Streams can be halted from the web interface, though.
    • "stopping" a stream involves killing all instances of vlc currently being run by the webserver user (i.e. "nobody", "apache", etc). This is probably not an issue unless you have other web applications that run vlc, or your webserver is run as *shudder* root (don't do it!)
    • When you play a stream, the page will continue to "load" even after all the data has been sent while vlc is running in the background. It may even timeout. This should not affect playback of the stream, but may be slightly annoying.

Setup is relatively simple: install vserver, VLC and the TiVo VLC modules all on your server. If you're running a Windows server, you'll need pskill or some other utility to kill running applications for stream killing. Untar TyStreamer into your server folder, edit the tystreamer.ini file, and fire up that browser! Select either a VLC or WMP link (why they have to be different is beyond me; ask the VideoLAN team), and you're off! WMP should launch automatically, but if you chose VLC you may have to manually select a link or even copy the link manually into VLC. The solution to this is to register VLC for that mime-type.

That's it! Please test, comment, and post bug reports here!
    Last edited by stealthdave; 10-29-2005 at 04:45 PM. Reason: 2.0 Final Release
    - Stealth Dave

Fantastic News!
    Scott

SAT-T60 Ver 3.5

Am I missing something?

Any more updates on this project?
    Maybe I've missed something in the other posts on VLC and the modules, but
    This version of Tystreamer looked REALLY exciting to me, just wish it had sound.
    There was like NO discussion when this came out... is there somethingelse that has thrumpted it?

I'm looking for soemthing I can run on my windows PC that will trasncode my Tivo programs for viewing over the internet. I'Ve used older versions of eTivo, but it would be great to have something that would work in real time

Quote Originally Posted by TheAvatar
    Any more updates on this project?
    Maybe I've missed something in the other posts on VLC and the modules, but
    This version of Tystreamer looked REALLY exciting to me, just wish it had sound.
    There was like NO discussion when this came out... is there somethingelse that has thrumpted it?

I'm looking for soemthing I can run on my windows PC that will trasncode my Tivo programs for viewing over the internet. I'Ve used older versions of eTivo, but it would be great to have something that would work in real time
    I was a little dissappointed when there was no discussion as well, but I think that one reason for that is... it works!!!

Aside from the mp3 audio, everything works. I've used it several times to watch Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" at work (because I need more distractions at work), and it works great. You need to use VLC as your client unless you can get the mp3 audio working, but aside from that, set up is simpler and it works as expected.

That's not to say that 2.0 is perfect; it's not. That's why I released a beta, hoping to get some feedback before an official release. So please, test the current release and report any issues. I'll try to make an official release soon.

- Stealth Dave

Slow

Great work! I was going to make my own PHP front end for my self but you did it first.

I got it working perfect using mpga with VLC as the client. I don't see why mp3 doesn't work. You can output to a file using the same settings and the audio plays fine. Just not when streaming. There must be a combo that works with WMP.

My biggest problem is the speed. The page takes about 1 - 1.5 mins to refresh. I was looking through the code but don't see where the hold up is.

Is anyone else experiencing this slow down.

I also have the slow load times. I'd say about 1 minute is average for my page load times.

However, I am running into an issue where my shows do not even appear in tystreamer. I can view my shows by running "mencoder tivo://192.168.1.144/llist" on my windows xp command line. I then pick one to test with and use the command "mencoder -cache 16384 -oac copy -ovc copy -quiet -of mpeg -o - tivo://192.168.1.144/1382871" It seems to appear to work properly as I am hit with a bunch of ascii characters as it streams the video in my command window.

What am I overlooking? I realize that the above vlc error is more than likely the reason I can't see any shows in tystreamer. Am I just blind?

BTW, I have added the TiVo Modules (vlc-ty-win-r42.zip & vlc-vstream-win-r39.zip) and am able to stream properly in vlc. I just can't see them in tystreamer. Am I blind? Have I overlooked something?
    Last edited by vaporE; 06-21-2005 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vaporE
    I also have the slow load times. I'd say about 1 minute is average for my page load times.

However, I am running into an issue where my shows do not even appear in tystreamer. I can view my shows by running "mencoder tivo://192.168.1.144/llist" on my windows xp command line. I then pick one to test with and use the command "mencoder -cache 16384 -oac copy -ovc copy -quiet -of mpeg -o - tivo://192.168.1.144/1382871" It seems to appear to work properly as I am hit with a bunch of ascii characters as it streams the video in my command window.

What am I overlooking? I realize that the above vlc error is more than likely the reason I can't see any shows in tystreamer. Am I just blind?

BTW, I have added the TiVo Modules (vlc-ty-win-r42.zip & vlc-vstream-win-r39.zip) and am able to stream properly in vlc. I just can't see them in tystreamer. Am I blind? Have I overlooked something?
    Try getting a program list using vlc with the following command-line:
    Code:
    vlc -I telnet tivo://192.168.1.144/llist vlc:quit 2>&1
    That's the command that TyStreamer uses to fetch the program list from TiVo. If there's a problem, it's most likely there.

As for the slow load times, I think I know what the issue is there, it was just never important enough to worry about. I'll see what I can do for the next release.
    - Stealth Dave

Thanks for your help stealthdave.

Using:
    Code:
    I see VLC appear in the process list for about 4 seconds and then disappear. VLC does not popup and I do not receive any type of show list. If I instead do "vlc tivo://192.168.1.144/plist" I am hit with a full playlist of shows. I can then watch any of the shows in the list. Plist and llist are two different thingys but I thought that might show that some functionality is there.

Thanks for your help stealthdave.

Using:
    Code:
    I see VLC appear in the process list for about 4 seconds and then disappear. VLC does not popup and I do not receive any type of show list. If I instead do "vlc tivo://192.168.1.144/plist" I am hit with a full playlist of shows. I can then watch any of the shows in the list. Plist and llist are two different thingys but I thought that might show that some functionality is there.
    That command should dump a program list to your terminal screen in much the same way that tivo-mplayer does. The "-I telnet" is there specifically to suppress the gui from popping up, since the web browser is only concerned with the command-line. This also allows TyStreamer to run in an environment without any graphical environment running (i.e., a Linux server without X11). If you run that from a command prompt, it should dump the program list to the terminal. If plist is working, then I don't see any reason why llist wouldn't.
    - Stealth Dave

I did not receive any output in my terminal window. I've probably got some 3rd party issue floating around.

No worries, stealthdave. I just thought it would be nice to stream my shows to work and your php is such a slick design. I'll continue to try on my own and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for your help!

I did not receive any output in my terminal window. I've probably got some 3rd party issue floating around.

No worries, stealthdave. I just thought it would be nice to stream my shows to work and your php is such a slick design. I'll continue to try on my own and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for your help!
    Any time. This seems like a pretty specific case, but there might be a workaround for you. Try running this command-line from a terminal:
    Code:
    vlc -I telnet tivo://192.168.1.144/123456 vlc:quit
    Where 123456 is a valid program id. If the video plays, then you've only got a problem with the program list, and tystreamer should still work if we get our program list from someplace else, like the mencoder that we know does work. If the video does play, change line 230 in tystreamer.php from this:
    Code:
    $fetch_programs_shell = $tyini["vlc"] . " -I telnet tivo://" . $tyini["tivo"] . "/llist vlc:quit 2>&1 ";
    to this:
    Code:
    $fetch_programs_shell = "/path/to/mencoder tivo://" . $tyini["tivo"] . "/llist 2>&1 ";
    TyStreamer will then use mencoder to fetch the program list (which is mysteriously not working with vlc) and vlc for transcoding and streaming.

Let me know if that works.
    - Stealth Dave

Perhaps this might shed some light on the situation. I should've given this info right up front. (that'd be nice...) Anyway, I'm using a DirecTiVo Hughes HDVR2 killhdinitrd'd w/ v4 software.

When I run your suggested command
    Code:
    The show streams great into vlc. I then proceeded to change line 230 to read as per your suggestion. Even still the shows are not appearing in TyStreamer.

For what it's worth, here is what I receive when running mencoder.
    Code:
    D:\d\WebSite\Mencoder>mencoder tivo://192.168.1.144/llist 2>&1
    MEncoder 1.0pre6-3.3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon Willamette (Family: 8, Stepping: 3)
    Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
    CPUflags: Type: 8 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
    Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
    To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.
    File not found: 'frameno.avi'
    Failed to open frameno.avi
    |12/30/69|16:00|Live|(null)|1386748|5|
    |12/30/69|16:00|Live|(null)|1392593|6|
    |06/09/05|12:01|Embellish This!|All Dressed Up|1344952|2|
    |06/24/05|03:00|Inhale|(null)|1378806|2|
    |06/24/05|12:00|Jewelry Making|Romancing the Stone|1386896|2|
    ty_streaming_start failed
    Unable to open URL: tivo://192.168.1.144/llist
    Cannot open file/device.
    I think I've officially lost...

Don't give up just yet. What version of PHP are you running?
    - Stealth Dave

When I run your suggested command
    Code:
    The show streams great into vlc.
    Has anyone gotten anywhere with this? I'm having the same problem.

For what it's worth, here is what I receive when running mencoder.
    Code:
    D:\d\WebSite\Mencoder>mencoder tivo://192.168.1.144/llist 2>&1
    MEncoder 1.0pre6-3.3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon Willamette (Family: 8, Stepping: 3)
    Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
    CPUflags: Type: 8 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
    Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
    To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.
    File not found: 'frameno.avi'
    Failed to open frameno.avi
    |12/30/69|16:00|Live|(null)|1386748|5|
    |12/30/69|16:00|Live|(null)|1392593|6|
    |06/09/05|12:01|Embellish This!|All Dressed Up|1344952|2|
    |06/24/05|03:00|Inhale|(null)|1378806|2|
    |06/24/05|12:00|Jewelry Making|Romancing the Stone|1386896|2|
    ty_streaming_start failed
    Unable to open URL: tivo://192.168.1.144/llist
    Cannot open file/device.
    I'm gettnig the same type of out put and nothing in my now showing list. any one have any ideas?

Using:
    Code:

llist gets me nothing too but when I use plist I get an empty play list. I know the server is running, I can stream from mplayer using WinVO.