Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: superpatch-67all - (Support)

superpatch-67all - (Support)

[EDIT] PEOPLE! STOP POSTING NEWBIE QUESTIONS IN THE SUPERPATCH-67ALL SUPPORT THREAD. If you don't know how to run a .tcl script, start a thread in the NEWBIE FORUM and ask about your problem there. Just because you found out something you didn't know when trying superpatch-67all doesn't make it a superpatch-67all support requirement. 7-10-05

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Superpatch-67all - (for all known 6.x and 7.1x versions)

Here's where to ask your questions. Do not post questions in the release thread.

The release, and instructions on it's use, are posted in the Superpatch-67all file release thread.

I won't respond to support requests in the files forum. Please post here.

Also, there's lots of information in the associated .txt file.

NOW LET'S SET SOME GROUND RULES
    Using an advanced patch to change major portions of the central runtime file on your tivo is a MAJOR undertaking. If you don't know what you're doing DON'T DO IT. At some point we have to assume that "If it was easy, everybody would be doing it."

DON'T LET THIS THREAD DEGENERATE INTO A RECAP OF THE PROBLEMS COVERED IN THE Superpatch-4all - (Support) thread.

I'm not a moderator but, if I were I'd delete ANY and ALL questions relating, but not limited, to:

Errors like:
    'no such file or directory'
    'I've just hacked my tivo and I can't run any .tcl files'
    'FSAllocate problems'
    'array: command not found'

Questions like:
    'I don't have a virgin tivoapp, how can I fix it back?'
    'Someone else hacked my tivo for me, how can I fix it back?'
    'My dtivo keeps forgetting it's name and MRV won't work, what do I do?'
    EDIT - More OT questions added
    'Can someone give me a reason not to let my tivo phone home?'
    'How do I remove the 30-second skip patch?'
    'Is "superpatch-67all" compatible with a p t v ugraded Samsung Sir4040 with a new 160gb drive?'
    'When I execute superpatch-67all, using bash [(instead of the command in bold in the release thread)] this is what I get:
    - bash-2.02# bash superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.0.tcl
    - superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.0.tcl: array: command not found

I'm sure that list should be longer but I'll stop. The point is that I haven't released this file because I care about your tivo and how it works. I wouldn't keep my tivos if I couldn't MRV with unencrypted video recordings and I don't think anyone else should have to either. The work was needed and I and several others did it. It's just an easy way for us to share our work with each other and others like us and avoid finding and typing a bunch of patches manually.

Now if every downloader will do their part and READ the release thread, this thread, background links, and the board in general, I'd appreciate it.

Let's don't re-ask and re-answer the questions in the Superpatch-4all - (Support) thread.

[EDIT]
    In order to provide the link above I reread the last 3 posts in the 'Superpatch-4all Support' thread = Quite comical!

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 07-14-2005 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Added another stupid Newbie OT question
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Reserved 1
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    Fully hacked SA S1

Works fine on my DVR80 running 6.2. Being in a 72.5 market kept me from going the 4.x route. Thanks for the fine work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutkase
    KNOWN ISSUES
    6.x
    6.1 (R10) tivoapps are not supported. May be supported in a future release.
    FWIW, I *think* that 6.2 will run fine on a prom modded R10 so long as you use a kernel that supports it. There shouldn't be any special hacks required that I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutkase
    Network settings screen not accessible. May be supported in a future release.
    'Search by Title (Demo)' menu item under PickPrograms. May be removed in a future release.
    It might be better to not patch the spigot abroad, but to force open the individual components that are necessary to enable MRV, thus you'll have the network config screen and you wont have the trial nags. Course somebody would need to find those patches first.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Tried the patch out, and this is what I found...

-Intermittently found the tivo desktop server for photos and music. But when it did, they worked fine.

-The Tivo desktop could not find the tivo...basic network setup (same subnet, etc)

-The standby option on the main menu is now on the messages and setup menu. I'm assuming this is because the Music & Photos took its place.

I ended up undoing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dewalt
    Tried the patch out, and this is what I found...

-Intermittently found the tivo desktop server for photos and music. But when it did, they worked fine.

-The Tivo desktop could not find the tivo...basic network setup (same subnet, etc)

-The standby option on the main menu is now on the messages and setup menu. I'm assuming this is because the Music & Photos took its place.
    1. Sounds like dhclient is still running...Are you losing network connectivity too?

2. Tivo Desktop will not work with 6.x for transferring recordings.

3. Small price to pay I'd say...Who uses standby anyway

jeboo

Quote Originally Posted by jeboo
    1. Sounds like dhclient is still running...Are you losing network connectivity too?

2. Tivo Desktop will not work with 6.x for transferring recordings.

3. Small price to pay I'd say...Who uses standby anyway

jeboo
    Thanks for the response. Dhclient is definitely not running. I've used the tivo for streaming shows, transferring using tytools, etc.

I'm not going to worry about it - I only have one tivo so MRV wont be of any use to me. I assumed tivo desktop would transfer shows, but it's all good - still have tytools

Quote Originally Posted by lgkahn
    any other ideas or logs I can post
    What does /var/log/tvlog say regarding the LinuxNetworkInterface If0: configuration? Does it say Automatic config or Manual config?

However, the 4.0.1b dtivo running superpatch 4.0 and setting mrv name to tivo1 has no entry for the new tivo3 running 6.2 (which was just updated with this patch.).
    1. There's no superpatch named 'superpatch 4.0'. What EXACTLY did you run?
    2. Is there a tivo2?

I even reran set_mrv_name after rebooting the first time and rebooted again.
    There are several versions of set_mrv_name. Which did you run?

(I) re-ran set_mrv on both still no go..
    Again, if you can't accurately type what you did you won't get help. What is 'set_mrv'? You're being lazy and people ignore your post because by what you typed it'll be a long and drawn out process just to figure out what you're actually doing, much less help you.

The only other thing I reran on the 6.2 box is the bufferhack after superpath 67 to incrase the buffer size....
    Incrase? Superpath? Superpath 67?

What's that? See what I mean? The proper name of this patch is superpatch-67all at a minimum.

Thanks for all your hard work and releasing this patch.. has anyone else had success with this patch in getting mrv to work?
    Yes, or it wouldn't have been released. Note, I fixed all your CAPS for you.

Now, here's what I'd do.

1. Make absolutely sure that you have superpatch-4all applied to the 4.0.1b dtivo. Including READING THE MESSAGES output by the file during application.
    2. Make absolutely sure that you have superpatch-67all applied to the 6.2x dtivo. Including READING THE MESSAGES output by the file during application.
    3. After seeing 'Success!' on each, apply the set_mrv_name_67.tcl included with this release to both dtivos and specify a different name for each.
    4. Reboot both dtivos and report any errors and their status.

Now, if you screw up your machines because you forget to chmod tivoapp when putting a virgin one back on your tivo to patch don't post about it here.

[EDIT] In case anyone is wondering, lgkahn removed his 'useless' and 'error ridden' post and, I HOPE by mistake, some MOD deleted it.

That said, I'm leaving my corrections as is. I stand by them and they were necessary.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 05-13-2005 at 11:41 PM.
    Fully hacked SA S1

dhclient - ifconfig

Jeboo,

Thanks for the post to dewalt about dhclient. I had renamed dhclient and
    used ifconfig for a static ip in my rc.sysinit.author. Been working fine
    with no problems. Applied superpatch-67all and named my dtivo with
    set_mrv_name_67.tcl. Had the same symptoms as dewalt.

I renamed dhclient back, got rid of the ifconfig statements in rc.sysinit.author
    and mrv works great with another Dtivo running 4.01b!

Now to figure out why not using dhclient and using ifconfig would cause problems. I'll post when I find it.

Thanks NutKase and the rest for all the hard work!

Eric

Unhappy Funky Behavior after patch

I ran superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.0.tcl and set_mrv_name_67.tcl and every thing went good.
    Code:
    (none):/var/hack/patch$ ./superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.0.tcl

superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.0.tcl
    (C) 05/08/2005 by NutKase, et al - COMMERCIAL USE PROHIBITED

Credit goes to CapablePerson66, rc3105, and others who wish to
    remain anonymous.  We thank ESPECIALLY alldeadhomiez for his time and knowledge.

All errors are the fault of Anonymous :-) .

Your TiVo Software version is 6.2-01-2-321
    Please write down your TiVo Software version.

Checking your tivoapp patch locations...

Patching your tivoapp...

Success!
    ________
    1. Your 6.2-01-2-321 tivoapp was updated with the proper superpatch-67all
    2. Your original tivoapp was backed up and is called /tvbin/tivoapp.original.
    3. You'll need to run the set_mrv_name_67.tcl, I've included, to 'name' your tiv
    o.
    (none):/var/hack/patch$ ./set_mrv_name_67.tcl Our_TiVo
    Setting nametable for "Our_TiVo"...
    Reboot your tivo for the changes to take effect.
    (none):/var/hack/patch$
    (none):/var/hack/patch$ reboot
    However, I set it to record 3 shows today, and nothing is in the Now Showing list.

I got home and recorded Stargate SG-1, while it was recording it showed up in the Now Showing list and showed the red recording dot. As soon as it was done recording the Now Showing list was blank.

The list is BLANK not "Empty" I can scroll endlessly up or down screen after screen with NO DATA in the list. If I perss "select" I get the BOOMP, so there is nothing in each slot.

If I rename tivoapp and copy the original back (reboot), record a show, it showsup in the list and there are no "blank" slots in the list.

Thanks,
    dot19408

Blank Now Showing

dot19408,

Had the same "BLANK not "Empty" Now Showing. After 1 -2 minutes the list showed up.

I think the Dtivo is searching your LAN for another Dtivo for mrv capability, at least it was in my case. Once I changed my Dtivo to use dhcp, it found the other Dtivo and works properly.

Still don't know why it didn't like the ifconfig and static IP.

Eric

EDIT DNS solved it. Never had DNS set on my two Dtivo with 4.01b software. Thanks
    Last edited by LanMan; 05-11-2005 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Thanks 7.1

Quote Originally Posted by LanMan
    dot19408,

Had the same "BLANK not "Empty" Now Showing. After 1 -2 minutes the list showed up.

I think the Dtivo is searching your LAN for another Dtivo for mrv capability, at least it was in my case. Once I changed my Dtivo to use dhcp, it found the other Dtivo and works properly.

Still don't know why it didn't like the ifconfig and static IP.
    This is a well known issue when you have a misconfigured DNS server. It really has nothing to do with the superpatch, but if you search for "superpatch" and "DNS", you'll get a lot of hits. Here's one.

Hmmm. Well I applied Superpatch67 to my 6.2 units, with mixed results.

I removed the first two lines of the patch, since I have no use for 30SS or Backdoors. Then applied the patch on original tivoapp's. I set the mrv names on each one, and rebooted.

I have the music and photos option, but I don't have the other tivo's folder on Now Playing (which I did on 4.x after applying the previous superpatch available for that version).

I still have network connectivity on both units (only IP, no Gateways set. I've had it like that for months, to avoid the units being able to get "out" to the Internet). I know I need a "gateway" for Music and Photos to work properly (unless it's a local IP I am trying to get).

Anyway, I could care less about HMO, I am trying to get MRV working.

Any ideas why the units don't see each other? I guess it has to do with using a fixed IP insead of DHCP. Which command do I use to set up the DNS? (funny thing is that on 4.x it worked with a fixed ip)

Thanks

BTW, way to go NutKase.
    Last edited by jasch; 05-11-2005 at 08:47 AM.

Hughes DTIVO SD-DVR40 up'd to 120
    Philips DTIVO DSR704 up'd to 80
    Both have:
    6.2 forced upgrade from sat dl/edit script
    killhdinitrd, Backdoors enabled
    tivotools, mfs_ftp, TWP, "No encrypt" patch
    Linksys usb200m loaded using backport drivers.(not forced in .author)
    I have access, any method
    Philips DTIVO DSR704 up'd to 80 3.1.1e waiting on "D" to upgrd to 6.2

I'm in with jasch.
    Except the editing of the patch. Ran with success. (orig tivoapp)
    I do have static ip and gw set.
    #Set IP Address
    ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.252 broadcast 10.0.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
    route add default gw 10.0.0.254 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1
    I am receiving Music/Photo, so I am contacting mothership.
    Read over the superpatch4all thread in hopes of resolving without going DHCP which seemed to help many people.(never installed 4.x)

Added these DNS entries:
    route add -host 204.176.49.2 gw 127.0.0.1
    route add -net 204.176.49.0 gw 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
    This did block access to tivo but to no resolution for mrv.

Blocking access from router now but, the today show is recording while the wife sleeps, can't reboot.

way to go NutKase

***** Moved Discussion to this thread here My reply to this post is #4 here
    Last edited by ZaTHRaS; 05-11-2005 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Moved Discussion