Thread: I think im in over my head

I think im in over my head

I Purch. a new t800 80 hr tivo and started looking around for different tricks that can be done with this unit. I seem to be more confused than ever. It appears i need a cable that can be bought or made (couldnt find the pinouts), and the software \ directions seem to be way above me. Ive checked out some of the newbid threads but I think Im still a coupple steps behind. If there is a simplke to follow guide that is available could someonr post it or a link to it? Thanks in advance sorry im an *****!

Link to "How Tos Only" thread in S1 board.

It really is not hard to make a serial cable. It is probably not fair to compare a bit of basic hardware to understanding a bit about Linux and how TiVo's work, but if you can't handle making a serial cable then hacking your TiVo is probably going to be excrutiatingly frustrating for you.
    Last edited by semjaza; 05-13-2005 at 07:26 PM.

I can make the cable no problem but is running some of these hacks as dangerious as they sound. I would hate to have the lifetime of the unit be less than a coupple of years. And if it can go wrong it will.

Exclamation Very Dangerious

deffintley, yes you will be reducing the life enegry forces of your tivo if you decided to make hack. very dangerious for you expecelly.

I can make the cable no problem but is running some of these hacks as dangerious as they sound. I would hate to have the lifetime of the unit be less than a coupple of years. And if it can go wrong it will.
    Modifying software will not damage the hardware. Unless you do things like overclocking and adjusting voltage regulators. I know of no tivo hacks that would do such a thing. I can't even imagine why anybody would want to.

You should always have a backup of the unhacked, unmodified drive. Generally speaking, it is easy to buy a new hard drive, copy your current drive to it, and put the unhacked, original drive away in a closet. Then, you can hack the new drive all you want. If you mess it up, just re-copy the original. If you give up, just stick the original drive back in and forget about it.

My own dtivo's drive is safely packed away, having been removed before I ever powered the unit up. Of course, by doing that, I voided the warranty on the unit right away.

My advice would be to start reading and continue reading until you feel comfortable enough to start hacking your Tivo. There are lots of links to newbie guides and such in the newbies thread (check out all of the stickys for a starter) that should help get you on the right track. Hinsdale's How To and MFS Tools 2.0 will provide you with all of the tools and info you need to upgrade, replace, and add a new hard drive to any Tivo. Do a search for Hinsdale's and you'll find the links you need. Do not even think about hacking your Tivo without making and testing a valid backup image. Get another drive at least as big as the original and restore the Tivo image to it and then apply your hacks to the backup drive. You won't hurt the Tivo if you screw up the software as long as you have a backup to fall back on. If you mess something up you can simply restore the image to the drive and start over.
    Last edited by captain_video; 05-13-2005 at 10:52 PM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Thanks guys ,I feel alot better going shopping for a new HD today.