Thread: From the beginning

From the beginning

I am totally overwelmed by the files. Some seem very dated and I'm not sure which guides are the most current. I need help with beginning this process. I have a dtvtivo series 2 that I want to install a larger drive on and enable the usb etc at the same time so I can record the shows on dvd. Is there a current guide out there to accomplish this. Thx for your help.

I may have asked my question incorrectly. I am more interested in which files are most current for this. Once I have those I can research what to do. I am concerned about using outdated info which could create a problem.
    Last edited by ROVIC; 06-08-2005 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ROVIC
    I am totally overwelmed by the files. Some seem very dated and I'm not sure which guides are the most current. I need help with beginning this process. I have a dtvtivo series 2 that I want to install a larger drive on and enable the usb etc at the same time so I can record the shows on dvd. Is there a current guide out there to accomplish this. Thx for your help.

I may have asked my question incorrectly. I am more interested in which files are most current for this. Once I have those I can research what to do. I am concerned about using outdated info which could create a problem.
    Alright, sounds like you want to go here first:
    http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hins...to/index9.html
    That's where most of us started, upgrading our tivo to a larger drive. Good luck!

Good Advise

Thanks for your input, I'll study this and then give it a try. It doesn't say if the new drive should be formatted or not. I was also hoping to install whatever I needed to make it networkable at the same time. It seems there are a lot of options for this and some are dated. Thanks again for the direction

Actually it does (you don't have to format).

Now What?

I have followed the above link and added a 2nd drive. I am having a hard time finding any information on getting started and doing the basics. Can someone point me to the next step. How do I get started actually hacking? How do I copy the first files over to the unit? Were do I put them?

Is there a description on how to make a bash serial cable? My searches just come back a lot of discussions on using the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by adog76
    SNIP
    Is there a description on how to make a bash serial cable? My searches just come back a lot of discussions on using the cable.
    Check the STICKYs for the Series One. I think there's a how-to for making a serial cable.

ew

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind
    Check the STICKYs for the Series One. I think there's a how-to for making a serial cable.

ew
    There is, but here's a nice link with a schematic.
    HayreAss

The best way to start with this hobby is by reading through all of the stickys in the newbie forum and then branching out to the other forums and reading the stickys there. You'll soon learn what is current and what isn't.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!