Thread: Overheating bad

Overheating bad

I have a series 2 Hughes with 2 drives. The temp is 63c and keeps rebooting. I took the cover of and still getting high temps. Should i change the case fan to a higher CFM, if so what brand? Is there a better way to keep it cool, it seemed to get hotter with cover off. Is the drive attached at the end of the IDE cable the primary drive like in a PC? Does the secondary drive just need to be formatted or does it need software?

Quote Originally Posted by Phattso
    I have a series 2 Hughes with 2 drives. The temp is 63c and keeps rebooting. I took the cover of and still getting high temps. Should i change the case fan to a higher CFM, if so what brand? Is there a better way to keep it cool, it seemed to get hotter with cover off. Is the drive attached at the end of the IDE cable the primary drive like in a PC? Does the secondary drive just need to be formatted or does it need software?
    1) Is the fan running?
    2) With the cover off the fan is worthless. The fan blows out. With the cover off it can not suck air in and across the electronics.
    3) I don't understand why you are asking about the drives since you already have 2 installed. Are you considering changing it? Why?

Where is the unit located? Does it have air flow? Is it on top of or under some other piece of electronics that is generating heat?
    Livingroom S2 DTivo Hughes SD-DVR40 120GB 6.2a-01-2-351 killhdinitrd, networked, extraction, TivoWebPlus,...
    Bedroom S2 DTivo Hughes SD-DVR40 120GB 6.2a-01-2-351 killhdinitrd, networked, extraction, TivoWebPlus,...
    Basement File Server S2 DTivo Hughs SD-DVR40 160GB 6.2-01-2-351 killhdinitrd, networked, extraction, TivoWebPlus,...

The fan is running. The unit is on top of the TV where there is no heat. I was going to install a 300 gig HD instead of 2 ,figured it would gen less heat.

I have have the cover off and I took the drive bracket out and layed then on the side of the unit and it seems to be running now around 46c.

One big drive will be cooler then two smaller ones.
    Livingroom S2 DTivo Hughes SD-DVR40 120GB 6.2a-01-2-351 killhdinitrd, networked, extraction, TivoWebPlus,...
    Bedroom S2 DTivo Hughes SD-DVR40 120GB 6.2a-01-2-351 killhdinitrd, networked, extraction, TivoWebPlus,...
    Basement File Server S2 DTivo Hughs SD-DVR40 160GB 6.2-01-2-351 killhdinitrd, networked, extraction, TivoWebPlus,...

What fan should I put in?

Stock fan should be sufficient to cool it. I ran my TiVo with a 40 and a 80GB in it for about 8 months and had no trouble