Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to upgrade HD and upgrade from Sleeper...

Need to upgrade HD and upgrade from Sleeper...

Hello,

I originally Sleepered my DTiVo about a year ago while also dropping in an 80 GB HDD. It's been buggy, but cool and fun since. The DTiVo still locks up (stops responding to the remote control and the front buttons, while it still seems to otherwise be functioning) from time to time and I believe the original 40 GB drive is becomming unstable. When I reboot the box, I must unplug it, wait for 30 seconds, then plug it back in from 2-10 times before it will boot.

I figure it's time for a new Drive. I bought a 120 GB drive to put in its place (to raise my storage from 120 to 200 GB). Now, from my recent searches, I now know that sleeper is NOT the way to go. I want to move to the killhdinitrd hack instead.

I have a couple of questions for how I should proceed:

1) If I am not to use the Sleeper ISO anymore, how should I replace my original 40GB drive with my new 120 GB drive?

2) Should I killhdinitrd before I upgrade the drive or after?

3) With the changes I'm trying to make, should I do the killhdinitrd upgrade while the drive is in the DTiVo, or by putting them in a Linux box?

4) Also, my /var/hack directory keeps getting wiped periodically (to the point where I have a tarball of it that I keep having to restore from), will killhdinit fix that as well?

Anyone who can enlighten me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance,
    --Robert

1. Start over using your 80 and 120.
    2. During the upgrade, otherwise your hacks won't stick.
    3. In your PC, booted from a boot disk.
    4. Nope, /var does that. That is why it's recommended not to keep much in /var

If you want to save some recordings, use mfs_ftp to extract them prior to re-hacking. Then just transfer them back when you are done.

Edit: Since you think you may be having drive problems, I'd recommend running the 80 gig drive through the manufacturers dignostic software before I committed to re-using it.
    Last edited by hayreass; 06-17-2005 at 01:35 PM.
    HayreAss

Quote Originally Posted by rbivins
    Hello,
    The DTiVo still locks up (stops responding to the remote control and the front buttons, while it still seems to otherwise be functioning) from time to time
    My problems like this were caused by interferrence from the IR port on my Laptop.

1) If I am not to use the Sleeper ISO anymore, how should I replace my original 40GB drive with my new 120 GB drive?
    IMO you should not have hacked your original hard drive. An original hard drive is your lifeline. But you did so no use crying about it now. Did you perhaps make a backup of it before you hacked it?

4) Also, my /var/hack directory keeps getting wiped periodically (to the point where I have a tarball of it that I keep having to restore from), will killhdinit fix that as well?
    I don't think so. You need to periodically purge the log files as they grow before they take over all your /var space and the Tivo cleans house.
    Livingroom S2 DTivo Hughes SD-DVR40 120GB 6.2a-01-2-351 killhdinitrd, networked, extraction, TivoWebPlus,...
    Bedroom S2 DTivo Hughes SD-DVR40 120GB 6.2a-01-2-351 killhdinitrd, networked, extraction, TivoWebPlus,...
    Basement File Server S2 DTivo Hughs SD-DVR40 160GB 6.2-01-2-351 killhdinitrd, networked, extraction, TivoWebPlus,...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcarb
    IMO you should not have hacked your original hard drive. An original hard drive is your lifeline. But you did so no use crying about it now. Did you perhaps make a backup of it before you hacked it?
    Oh, most definately. I do have a backup, which I had to use SEVERAL times when I was first hacking this thing. I had a lot of trouble with getting the Sleeper ISO to make a viable hack in the first place, I remember it had to do something with biteswapping or something, and the instructions on which to use were the opposite of what I should use. It was a year ago, can't remember it that clearly.

That backup is of my DTiVo in virgin form. So, if all else fails, I can go back to the basics. Thanks for the concern.

Quote Originally Posted by hayreass
    1. Start over using your 80 and 120.
    2. During the upgrade, otherwise your hacks won't stick.
    3. In your PC, booted from a boot disk.
    4. Nope, /var does that. That is why it's recommended not to keep much in /var
    For starting over, where do I get the most recent boot disk iso to use? I'd like to start it out right.

If you want to save some recordings, use mfs_ftp to extract them prior to re-hacking. Then just transfer them back when you are done.
    That would take awhile. I've got about 60 Gig of stuff to keep, about 20 Gig that I can throw away. How do I restore my season passes? Any way to back those up separately? Is there any way to extract my recordings within my PC?

Edit: Since you think you may be having drive problems, I'd recommend running the 80 gig drive through the manufacturers dignostic software before I committed to re-using it.
    Way ahead of you on that one. Just d'led the newest WD Data Lifeguard tools specifically for that purpose.

For starting over, where do I get the most recent boot disk iso to use? I'd like to start it out right.
    Personally, I most often use the $5 disk from PTVUpgrade that some generous soul sent me. They have a free one as well, but the $5 one has kernels that have alread had killhdinitrd run on them.
    That would take awhile. I've got about 60 Gig of stuff to keep, about 20 Gig that I can throw away.
    Damn, that's a lot of keepers. There's a thread around here for extracting while the drive is in the PC, a search should turn it up. You'll need a lot of HD space for all those recordings though.
    Maybe it's time to burn some DVD's?
    How do I restore my season passes? Any way to back those up separately?
    Yes, there is a tivoweb module just for that. Find it here.
    HayreAss

Personally, I most often use the $5 disk from PTVUpgrade that some generous soul sent me. They have a free one as well, but the $5 one has kernels that have alread had killhdinitrd run on them. Damn, that's a lot of keepers. There's a thread around here for extracting while the drive is in the PC, a search should turn it up. You'll need a lot of HD space for all those recordings though.
    Thanks, d'ling the $5 disk as we speak. Good tip. Any suggestions on which kernal to use? You mention that there are several...

Maybe it's time to burn some DVD's?Yes, there is a tivoweb module just for that. Find it here.
    Been doing that. Most of the stuff is for my kids, anyway. Does 60 gig take more than 60 Gig on the PC? I just bought two 130 Gig Drives (SATA for the PC) when I picked up the 120 for the TiVo, so I've got room for the time being...

Thanks, d'ling the $5 disk as we speak. Good tip. Any suggestions on which kernal to use? You mention that there are several...
    Do a little reading, it'll turn up.

Besides, I can't say since I have no idea what software you are running
    HayreAss

That TivoWeb Module is just WAY COOL! The level of security it gives me is immesurable.

I'm poking around about inside PC extraction. This part will take awhile. I'll keep you posted, if you like.

That TivoWeb Module is just WAY COOL! The level of security it gives me is immesurable.

I'm poking around about inside PC extraction. This part will take awhile. I'll keep you posted, if you like.
    If your machine is set up correctly, you should be able to extract 60gb overnight.
    Mine can easily do 6gb an hour.
    HayreAss

Do a little reading, it'll turn up.
    I've been reading and it seems that I need to list the FSID's that I want to extract. Every thread keeps saying use mfs_stream to do that. But, mfs_stream doesn't give a list of FSID's. Is there a script somewhere that simply lists shows/fsids? Or better yet, is there a TivoWeb module for such thing?

Otherwise, I guess I'll be writing them all out by hand from that little window in TyTools...

Ever try to do a search on this forum for "list FSID"? Almost every thread on this site has the words list and FSID in them. Shesh!

<SNIP>
    Ever try to do a search on this forum for "list FSID"? Almost every thread on this site has the words list and FSID in them. Shesh!
    That's why it is recommended you do an advanced search, and show results by posts.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Every thread keeps saying use mfs_stream to do that.
    Nope, it's mfs_streams. Note the s on the end. mfs_streams is part of this package.

Example:
    Code:
    %  MFS_DEVLIST=":tivo4" mfs_streams | head -3
    Listing streams in /Recording/NowShowingByClassic
    180125  Krypto the Superdog     Up, Up and Away; Dinosaur Time  194569  194570 194572
    178259  Krypto the Superdog     Streaky's Super Cat Tale; The New Recruit      193554 193555  193557
    The first number in the line is the recording FSID. The numbers at the end of each line are FSIDs of the individual tyStream parts.

You can run this directly on your tivo (no need to set MFS_DEVLIST for that), on a linux PC or Max OSX box with a tivo disk attached, or on a Linux or Cygwin PC or OSX Mac connected to a remote tivo running vserver (as in the example).

You can extract shows with mfs_uberexport in any of the above configurations.
    Last edited by Jamie; 06-17-2005 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    Nope, it's mfs_streams. Note the s on the end.
    Hehehe... I sort of got egg on my face don't I? Looks like I need mfs_tools. D'ling as we speak.

Thanks, for not taking this opportunity to gloat.

Anyone wouldn't happen to have a copy of the Unified mfs_* tools package around? All the links in Jamie's original post are broken. I've figured that's where I'd find the mfs_streams utility.

Thanks,
    --Robert