Thread: Possible Fix - DTivo dial-home with 6.2 SuperPatch Applied

Hybrid View

Possible Fix - DTivo dial-home with 6.2 SuperPatch Applied

When superpatch-67all was introduced, (Thanks NutKase), I applied it to both of my Hughes systems. They are running 6.2-01-2-351. Before I implemented cron with FakeCall40.tcl both units had phoned home.

In this post and others members talk about the problems of this and the addition of certificates for the HMO/MRV features, with a six-month deadline.

On my systems the phone-home added 2 entries in MFS:
    /State/Keyring/SP_4-production-5-12929-180-A-13109-A-13109-A
    /State/Keyring/SP_5-production-2-12929-180-A-13109-A-13109-A

On the System Info screen it indeed added certificates with a 6 month expiration.

To get rid of these I just Rubbished / Nuked them out of MFS. My two systems are working great and HMO/MRV have no problems.

Any (right, wrong, dumb idea) comments or discussion about this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

What does the system info screen now say? I made the same mistake. What would be nice, is a hack to set the days to 0 instead of 180....assuming this would work. We might need to change the start date as well.
    Last edited by BigYellowDog; 06-25-2005 at 04:03 AM.

I did some testing, and I don't believe the certificates are that big a deal. I nuked the object ids and they went a way. I forced another call to the mothership (ok, maybe I shouldn't have, but I wanted to test) and the certificates appeared again. The 180 day expiration reset. Also, the certificates seem to control two added servers to the "Music and Photos". The first being Best Buy New Music and the second being Legends. When the certificates are deleted, these servers are removed. After the call to the mothership, the servers were added back. I assume, but can't validate, that when the expiration time comes, these two servers will simply disappear. Will they be replaced by other servers? I don't know. Will HMO be completely disabled at that time? I don't know. As long as you delete the certificates before the expiration date, I'm guessing you will be OK.

System Info Screen

After I Nuked the two certificates in mfs under /State/Keyring everything
    on the System Info screen was back the way it was before the call.

Music and Photos have always been the same, reguardless of the call.

I think the 2 Certificates obtained during the call actually effected my MRV
    between two systems. Before I got rid of them, the units would have to be
    "named" every 2 to 3 days to communicate. The units would show up in
    Now Playing, but as the service number. After I ran the naming script, they
    would be back for a few days.

Since Nuking the Certificates all as been well, going on 2 weeks without
    any problems.

Eric

Sounds great. I figured out why my other servers disappeared...it was related to a bad backup and restore that I was doing in combination with your recommended fix and the fix is quite easy. The good thing is, that if you happen to accidently call home again, it will give you another full 180 days to nuke the objects.

Rubbish Certificate

LanMan - Your previous post seem to describe my situation exactly. I let the 6.2 upgrade via slice to call in once before loading Fakecall on both Tivo's. In my /state/keyring I have certitifcates dated from the date I upgraded. My MRV works fine but it drops every 1-3 days and I need to rerun setmrv. I have set it up as a cron job but would like to fix the problem.

Can you tell me how to "rubbish" the certs from /state/keyring as you detailed? I have looked at modifying some of the tcl scripts but frankly I am no programmer and fear I would simply muck something up.

Thanks,

Macinator